RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Even if they did need 100%, most likely they'd just leave it plugged into the DCFC charger longer, unless they were on a per-minute rate. Most of the EA states have moved to per-kWh now. Plus 12-15 kW (slow as it is for DCFC) is still faster than most L2 (typically 7.6 kW).
If it turns out a lot of people do that, sooner or later, EA will make idle fee kick in at 80%. In my opinion, the sooner the better.
Sponsored

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Just speculation but I am thinking that is wrong. Chances are these early production vehicles are just on "Ford's Account" for whatever amount they are DCFC. Otherwise, how could multiple reviewers check them out before that 250KW ran out? I doubt this car had a 250KW limit of free charging at the DCFC.
Maybe - though I wouldn't be surprised that EA and Ford's agreement just gives 250KW to each Mach-E VIN for free, and that Ford sends pretty much all Mach-E VINs to EA for this offer.

Either way, I just think something funky is setup with the charging curve - will be very interested to see more in depth info, especially once customer cars are delivered.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
If it turns out a lot of people do that, sooner or later, EA will make idle fee kick in at 80%. In my opinion, the sooner the better.
Could be. My Outlander PHEV actually stops charging completely when it hits 80% on DCFC.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Even if they did need 100%, most likely they'd just leave it plugged into the DCFC charger longer, unless they were on a per-minute rate. Most of the EA states have moved to per-kWh now. Plus 12-15 kW (slow as it is for DCFC) is still faster than most L2 (typically 7.6 kW).
That is assuming the DCFC doesn't taper more from the 12-15kW down to something less than 7.6kW.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Lets look at the charging curve that was posted several months ago and compare to the latest information:
mach e charging curve yes.jpg
Yes, I posted that months ago. I guess I need to put a watermark on it, lol.
Although I just drew a quick line with my figure over something someone else worked hard to make.

This was based on the information I could find at the time. Some people called me a liar.

Reactions: UW2

CarboFE

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E FE Carbonized Grey
Country flag
Typically that is why you find Level-2's nearby DCFC's: Because when you get to the 80% level it is often better to move to a Level-2 as it will charge at the constant rate where the DCFC will continue to taper below what the local Level-2 will deliver (and the local Level-2 will likely cost less than the DCFC for that last 20%).

Yeah this isn't ideal but it works (and you free up the DCFC for someone else).
I shouldn't have to do that. If I pull up to a "fuel pump", I should insert the cord into the receptacle and when the pump says I'm done, I should be able to drive away with a full "tank" of power. Complications like these are why BEV adoption won't go mainstream. It has to be simplified.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I shouldn't have to do that. If I pull up to a "fuel pump", I should insert the cord into the receptacle and when the pump says I'm done, I should be able to drive away with a full "tank" of power. Complications like these are why BEV adoption won't go mainstream. It has to be simplified.
You don't have to do that at all.

If you want to annoy the people in line waiting for the DCFC by sitting there and letting it charge to full then go right ahead.

There is no rule or anything forcing you to do this.

Its just what has been sometimes done to be courteous to the next person waiting for the DCFC.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
You don't have to do that at all.

If you want to annoy the people in line waiting for the DCFC by sitting there and letting it charge to full then go right ahead.

There is no rule or anything forcing you to do this.

Its just what has been sometimes done to be courteous to the next person waiting for the DCFC.
I actually unplugged from one of the two L2 chargers in a parking garage in my Fusion Energi when a guy pulled up in a bolt and told me he was at 3%. I had plenty of gas and was just enjoying the electrons for paying for my parking.

Last edited:

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Charge to 80% and leave. 80% is the new "full".

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That is assuming the DCFC doesn't taper more from the 12-15kW down to something less than 7.6kW.
True. Although that would surprise me.

Frankly I'm a little surprised EA's high-power chargers even go that low. I'd almost think they'd just shut off and end the charging session if the car tried to limit it below a certain threshold, so no one can tie up the charger at L2-like speeds for hours at a time.

Or maybe they have a time limit?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree with you that these are the types of complications/annoyances that will slow BEV adoption. Same with dramatic reduction in range where most people will care about range (highway speeds for road trips). And major losses from cold or hot temps. And of course sloooow refueling on the road.

But it is what it is. Many people will accept those compromises to gain the other advantages, while many people will say "no way" and just keep buying ICE, hybrid, or PHEV. I expect PHEV to be quite big this decade for those very reasons. I also expect BEVs to more commonly be going into 2-car households (with a garage) to be paired with an ICE or PHEV.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Could be. My Outlander PHEV actually stops charging completely when it hits 80% on DCFC.
I never really understood why they would even included DCFC capability on a PHEV.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I never really understood why they would even included DCFC capability on a PHEV.
Yeah, it's kinda dumb. There are a couple of charging stations around me that are free, but only Chademo with no Level 2. I used one of those exactly once.

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
When I had my Fusion Energi, I tried to plot a route from SE Michigan to Orlando and back without using gasoline. DCFC would have been really helpful!

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
When I had my Fusion Energi, I tried to plot a route from SE Michigan to Orlando and back without using gasoline. DCFC would have been really helpful!
Your Fusion Energi had an usable 5.6kWh battery pack. Rated for 20-24 miles but significantly less at highway speed. How could anyone drive that distance with such a small battery pack?
Sponsored