Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
Your Fusion Energi had an usable 5.6kWh battery pack. Rated for 20-24 miles but significantly less at highway speed. How could anyone drive that distance with such a small battery pack?
It was for fun. I also went back and forth to work without HVAC in January, just to see if I could.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It was for fun. I also went back and forth to work without HVAC in January, just to see if I could.
There will always be some atypical exceptions, I suppose. But for the other 99%, DCFC for PHEV doesn't really make much sense. The whole point of gas onboard is to use it if/when that first 20-30 miles of the day from battery is used up. Then just start over the next day with an overnight charge.

Not only wouldn't I expect to use DCFC, I wouldn't even expect install 240V at home for a PHEV. Already widely available 120V should do it for an overnight charge for today's PHEVs.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Honestly, I doubt it has anything to do with EA or how much it costs at all. IMHO it is likely Ford once again being conservative and protecting the battery at the upper range. They probably also assume everyone will stop at 80% anyway, which is why they recommend it. As they get better data from the field, expect the curve to get better too.

No need to get the pitchforks and torches; everything will be fine.

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
Not only wouldn't I expect to use DCFC, I wouldn't even expect install 240V at home for a PHEV. Already widely available 120V should do it for an overnight charge for today's PHEVs.
I didn't do 220V at home, but kind of wish I'd did, partially because I could have repurposed it now for my Mach E, but also because pre-heating on 220 is actually effective, and preheating on 110 is kind of a waste of energy.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I used to do that daily in the Focus Electric: Precondition and go to work with HVAC off in January/February.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
There will always be some atypical exceptions, I suppose. But for the other 99%, DCFC for PHEV doesn't really make much sense. The whole point of gas onboard is to use it if/when that first 20-30 miles of the day from battery is used up. Then just start over the next day with an overnight charge.

Nitpicking but if..one drives in "EV now" and uses up what one calls the battery pack, there still is the hybrid mode because the battery pack is not deleted. Then, it is possible recharge the battery pack via MG2 in certain conditions while driving as I did going from 18-96% in October 2019.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

Most PHEV's I have seen (have not seen them all), including the Energi siblings, only have J1772 L2 plugs.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Most PHEV's I have seen (have not seen them all), including the Energi siblings, only have J1772 L2 plugs.
Most, but not all. Not sure if there are any that support DCFC other than the Outlander.

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag

I would always get a full charge with my PHEV during my workday as well. But yeah I would never waste my time at a DCFC with it

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
You don't have to do that at all.

If you want to annoy the people in line waiting for the DCFC by sitting there and letting it charge to full then go right ahead.

There is no rule or anything forcing you to do this.

Its just what has been sometimes done to be courteous to the next person waiting for the DCFC.
I've only once been at a charger with a line.

Someone was in it. I was next. That was the entire line.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

Very true: The whopping 3 (maybe 4) times I've used a DCFC I was the only one there....

Of course all the ones I've used have not been in a heavily travelled corridor.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

So far. That's because in the grand scheme of things, there's very few CCS BEVs currently on the road. You've probably had a better chance of seeing a Tesla using the lone CHAdeMO plug at an EA station than seeing a CCS vehicle there.

But that's about to change. CCS vehicles are about to hit US roads in much bigger numbers over the next few years.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
And no way to see the charging speed from inside the car. That seems like a glaring omission. I really hope they add that ASAP.
Playing devil's advocate here, could have been on purpose if the charge curves hinted by Kyle (InsideEVs/Out of Spec Motoring) are really that bad. You never want to highlight "bad".

Edit: Was just a thought, keep reading later posts to see this is not the case
Sponsored

Last edited: