Is the Mach E a viable long range daily commuter?

Dad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 VW Tiguan, 2017 Ford Transit
Occupation
Self Employed
Country flag
I have my Mach E on order (and now understand that it will be delayed...no big deal to me) and planned on using it as my daily word driver. I drive about 100-150 miles/day, so I ordered the Select with the Standard Range battery. Should be good to cover my daily route, right? RigHT?!? Well, I talk to a guy that I work with in Dearborn that has had access to work with the car and he says that he hasn't been getting good charges in the colder weather (has been been a mild winter so far with a few cold days here in Detroit area this year). That conversation led me to the internet, and google led me to this forum.

After some scouring, I've learned a lot. But, I still don't know much. But, afaik, if I get the Standard Range, I have to max charge to 90%, so I'm down to roughly 210 mile day to day range. In the freezing cold, I can expect about 60% or that, right? Or, is it 60% or the 230 mile range? Either way we are looking at either roughly 126 or 138 mile range?

How long will a battery last if it is used daily to the max (i.e. driven every day from 90% down to probably 10%)? I drive about 20,000 miles per year on my work vehicles.

Originally, I thought that an electric would save me a ton on gas, but if I a) can't finish my daily commute or b) kill a battery too rapidly, I'm not sure this would make much sense.

Any input or knowledge dropped would be appreciated ?
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I have my Mach E on order (and now understand that it will be delayed...no big deal to me) and planned on using it as my daily word driver. I drive about 100-150 miles/day, so I ordered the Select with the Standard Range battery. Should be good to cover my daily route, right? RigHT?!? Well, I talk to a guy that I work with in Dearborn that has had access to work with the car and he says that he hasn't been getting good charges in the colder weather (has been been a mild winter so far with a few cold days here in Detroit area this year). That conversation led me to the internet, and google led me to this forum.

After some scouring, I've learned a lot. But, I still don't know much. But, afaik, if I get the Standard Range, I have to max charge to 90%, so I'm down to roughly 210 mile day to day range. In the freezing cold, I can expect about 60% or that, right? Or, is it 60% or the 230 mile range? Either way we are looking at either roughly 126 or 138 mile range?

How long will a battery last if it is used daily to the max (i.e. driven every day from 90% down to probably 10%)? I drive about 20,000 miles per year on my work vehicles.

Originally, I thought that an electric would save me a ton on gas, but if I a) can't finish my daily commute or b) kill a battery too rapidly, I'm not sure this would make much sense.

Well I had a Focus Electric which would get charged to 100% daily for 3 years.

When I turned in the lease there was little to no noticable battery degredation.

The 60% value would be whatever you charged it to. Thus 60% of the 210.

I'm also in Southeastern Michigan and I usually get 160-180 miles out of my Bolt in the winter (er did before GM neutered it because of FIRE). Worst case that is 160/238 or 67%.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Assuming you got the RWD variant your max would be 230 miles. You shouldn't need to charge to only 90% as the battery already has a buffer built in, so when the range-o-meter shows 100%, you're not actually at 100% total battery capacity.

In cold weather you'll lose range for sure, but I've seen reason to believe Ford is using a pessimistic range more so that other EVs, so it might not quite be 60% loss.

Assuming it's a daily round trip there should be a net zero elevation change so you should be good there.

Worst case you turn the heat down, but I would think you're good. Also on the rare occasion you do run out of juice, Ford provides towing to get a charge included with the car.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Although make sure you have a sufficient amount of time to recharge back to full every day with a fast enough charger.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag

"hasn't been getting good charges in the colder weather"

Do you know what he meant by that? It's looking more and more like the Mach-E does not have battery preconditioning in advance of fast charging in cold weather, as TFL's video showed. That might be a not "good" charge given that it will charge slower than advertised. Level 2 shouldn't be a problem, though.

Your use case seems perfect for a BEV.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
"hasn't been getting good charges in the colder weather"

Do you know what he meant by that? It's looking more and more like the Mach-E does not have battery preconditioning in advance of fast charging in cold weather, as TFL's video showed. That might be a not "good" charge given that it will charge slower than advertised. Level 2 shouldn't be a problem, though.

Your use case seems perfect for a BEV.
What's the worst case scenario? In three seasons you can do your commute no problem and on especially cold days in winter you might have to do a zap-and-dash to get you home.

How many chargers on your commute route? Any option to top up at work?

Louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
Country flag
Maybe when OP's friend said, "hasn't been getting good charges in the colder weather" he meant that at a DC Fast Charger, with a cold-soaked car, the charge RATE is much lower than it would be in warm weather.

My Taycan could (under ideal battery conditions, Soc <10%, Bat Temp at >77°F) have a peak observed charge rate of 265 kW. But, on a cold Maine day, with the battery temp at 39°F, the max charge rate I saw was 39kW.

Maybe.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Maybe when OP's friend said, "hasn't been getting good charges in the colder weather" he meant that at a DC Fast Charger, with a cold-soaked car, the charge RATE is much lower than it would be in warm weather.

My Taycan could (under ideal battery conditions, Soc <10%, Bat Temp at >77°F) have a peak observed charge rate of 265 kW. But, on a cold Maine day, with the battery temp at 39°F, the max charge rate I saw was 39kW.

Maybe.
That's what I would guess too. Home charging (240V) shouldn't be much problem. Even if in the cold, a full night should be plenty of time.

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

Maybe.
Hey @Louv , are you the same guy who drove the first cross continentTaycan tour on EA network? Glad to see you here!
Just curious what brings you to the Mache forum.

Louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
Country flag
Hey @Louv , are you the same guy who drove the first cross continentTaycan tour on EA network? Glad to see you here!
Just curious what brings you to the Mache forum.
Yup. I’m that guy. I’m here like everyone else: I’ve ordered a Mach-E. And my ETA just went from 1/17 to 3/27. <sad trombone>

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

Besides what's been said so far.
For cost comparisons, you should consider your average miles/KWh during the whole year and not focus just on what you get on the worst winter days.

I'd also guess that you will drive much less on short and cold winter days than long summer days.
While a 100-150 mile daily commute sounds a lot, you also say that your annual mileage is 20000 miles. Which for a 5-day commute is only 80 miles per day on average. This isn't bad for battery life.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

The ER battery sure would have been better for that many daily miles, but you may be ok. What kind of miles are they - mostly highway, or mostly city? High speed is probably ~10% worse. But if you're driving mostly city streets, you should be good.

In the winter, charging to 100% at home should be ok too. Then back off to 90% in the warmer months.

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yup. I’m that guy. I’m here like everyone else: I’ve ordered a Mach-E. And my ETA just went from 1/17 to 3/27. <sad trombone>
All right, great! So are you planning to take your Mach-e on the cross-continent tour also? :)

Louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
Country flag
All right, great! So are you planning to take your Mach-e on the cross-continent tour also? :)
I’ve considered it. But two things would need to happen: 1) I’d need the vaccine (and I’m pretty low on the list) and 2) Canada would have to open their border to us dirty Americans.

I guess 3 things. I need a car.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I’m in Ohio, but I got the ER AWD. My daily commute is 90-100 miles. I drive about 32,000 a year. Make sure you have the car warming up in the morning for your drive when plugged in. Leave home with a warm car.

others have given you plenty of other suggestions. I am going to be curious on mine too as I can’t plug in at work. But I think I will have plenty.
Sponsored