Is the Mach-E really 7 years behind Tesla?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
No. Chademo is used for Level 3/DCFC only. All level 1 &2 chargers use J1772 ports.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I was using Electrify America's map https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger , not blink which is a different network. EA is the one Ford is partnering with.
True. However, the point of this whole forum is questioning the idea Ford is 7 years behind and the current thread is about charging infrastructure. Unlike Tesla, Ford is not a lone actor. There are lots of other companies, as well as state and local governments, putting money into building out the J1772 ( Level 1 & 2) and CCS-Combo (Level 3 DCFC) charging infrastructure. That allows us to access needed charging much faster than is we could only charge at EA stations.
At the same time, Ford is making it easier to use this disjointed charging network:
“Ford is working with Greenlots to bring together multiple charging providers to develop the FordPass Charging Network, making it easy for customers to find and pay for charging all through FordPass or their vehicle’s screen.”
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...argest-electric-vehicle-charting-network.html

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
True. However, the point of this whole forum is questioning the idea Ford is 7 years behind and the current thread is about charging infrastructure. Unlike Tesla, Ford is not a lone actor. There are lots of other companies, as well as state and local governments, putting money into building out the J1772 ( Level 1 & 2) and CCS-Combo (Level 3 DCFC) charging infrastructure. That allows us to access needed charging much faster than is we could only charge at EA stations.
Level 1&2 only make sense for emergency or those without a charger at home (or work) (or want to take advantage of free charging in some cases). Also, to your point... I just checked, and Tesla was putting super chargers 7 years ago that could charge 90kw, so don't see how level 1&2 chargers are relevant when comparing to Tesla 7 years ago.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Doesn't look like there should be too much trouble for fast chargers.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Is the Mach-E really 7 years behind Tesla? 1582987310575

for reference, Tesla has a little more, but I think EA beats Tesla 7 years ago, and they are catching up with Tesla. That said, after a few more years when the initial money is used up not sure EA's growth will be as fast (probably dependant on usage fees and/or partnerships to expand), but for the short term it's faster.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Is the Mach-E really 7 years behind Tesla? 1582988358252

In both cases, gray means not yet but planned.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Not true. At only 100s odd dollars, Level 2s provide valuable destination charging, charging while at work out shopping, etc. Since they cause less stress than DCFC, they are better for this application. They just aren’t what’s needed for rapid charging along a route.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess if Interstate 5 isn't close enough to the coast... Looked close when looking at the map for the whole USA, but not so close doing a distance between points, and it's surprising how few / far apart the cross roads between 5 and the the coast it is. That said, it's still better than what's available in Michigan, especially the Northern part....

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree it doesn't solve the main problem. That said, I do think It could be useful for destination charging where you are likely to be there at least an hour for reasons other than charging. However, unless it covers over 10% of the parking spaces it's not going to scale as a larger % of vehicles are electric or plug-in hybrid.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Maybe for you but I find them very handy for overture, for charging while at work, and for charging during a trip to a store or restaurant when I’ll spend 2 hours or more.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
More level 2 chargers can be helpful especially at hotels. Level 3 along the interstate exits is exactly what long distance travel requires

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's a shame. It's such a magnificent drive. It looks like Tesla will be the only make with true drive anywhere you want (or almost anywhere) for a while. Or at least drive anywhere you want without being too inconvenienced. The total level 2 network including 50 kW charger is pretty extensive, but who wants to be stuck with one of those with a car like Mach E?

Your comment as to the other EV makers is on point. I think that they've been negligent up to now. Would EA exist without dieselgate? I doubt it. EA is the best we have, but even it is not truly building for an EV future the way Tesla did.
Sponsored