Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE, Impala, Santa Fe
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I keep seeing new ev chargers at grocery stores, and all are level 2 chargers. Some are free for 2 or 3 hours max. But who shops that long? And that's really not adding much range. I know level 3 (dcfc) chargers cost a lot more. The level 2 chargers are rarely being used. How about movie theaters and golf courses. That would be somewhat useful for level 2 chargers.
Sponsored

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I keep seeing new ev chargers at grocery stores, and all are level 2 chargers. Some are free for 2 or 3 hours max. But who shops that long? And that's really not adding much range. I know level 3 (dcfc) chargers cost a lot more. The level 2 chargers are rarely being used. How about movie theaters and golf courses. That would be somewhat useful for level 2 chargers.
Wow, rarely being used L2 chargers? I'm jealous. It's been getting harder and harder to find available ones here. I'll take every chance I can get to charge in public since I don't have at-home charging. They're great for apartment dwellers, and I'd rather have a ton of working L2 chargers than a couple of 50kW maybe-working ones. If I need to drive to a grocery store to get stuff (as opposed to walking), that means I'm doing a good amount of shopping, so it'll easily be 30-45 minutes. If they have 48 amp chargers, that's easily 5-8% of charge.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I'm never going to complain about FREE charging.......here in Bergen Cty, NJ we have a small mall with maybe 10 or so free level 2 chargers......usually they are occupied by Teslas.....I am retired and shop for one, me, so my stops at food stores are under 1 hour......what I do ( I am retired, time not that important), I walk around the mall for a while, get some needed exercise, shop for groceries, maybe have an ice cream cone, and then leave, usually about an hour plus......the hour of charging gives me my needed estimated range for the day....

our small but very nice Cty zoo, also has level 2, and free charging......I sometimes visit the zoo, walk around the Cty park, 2+ hours, get 40-50 estimated miles of free charging......

I find apartment folks who can not charge at home, so they use the free level 2 most of the time.....you can tell because they are usually in the car while charging, not visiting the zoo nor shopping at the mall....

I ,too, would like non used level 2 chargers, doesn't happen here too often.....

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Should work in colder climates for those that like to shop. Set a departure schedule, plug it in, and when you get back you and your batteries are toasty warm. Why not especially if it is free and for a while an empty spot.

I think you can't have too many plug ins at this point and yes also at movie theaters and golf courses. They should be covered at the course. ;)

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
More infrastructure is good right?

But a real question is- who does this really benefit, and is it really needed?

Who are the vast majority of grocery store shoppers? People who live nearby.

And those people who live nearby? Mostly will charge at home.

Honestly, it does seem like “mostly” a waste of resources.

If the grocery store was in a major city where it’s mostly apartments and condos…….. maybe? But then it wouldn’t be able to supply enough volume to help that many people…….and too many would just use the free charging and not necessarily shop.

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
our local shopping mall has 10 level 2 "free" chargers and yes there is a two hour limit but it more than makes up the electrons used to get to the mall and back. Our trips to the mall are usually two hours or more anyway since its usually just a morning out to do some walking and people watching.

Tony

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I suspect the grocery store company doesn't own the movie theatre or golf course... As someone said, you can recover the charge it took to go shopping, and often more. Many people shop weekly and take an hour to shop.

Of course chargers are being added everywhere. DC fast chargers are mostly for those on a trip, not for locals who should charge at home.

Reactions: TTF

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Level 2 chargers at the grocery store help stretch the range for older short range EVs. Good for Smart cars, old Leafs, any EV with <100 range. Also good for PHEVs.

annaprins

First Name
Anna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWD Extended Range
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I agree that they should be putting fast chargers in at grocery stores. I won't complain about any type of chargers, but I live in Michigan where NOTHING is walkable so I can't just park at a Meijer fast charger and walk somewhere for a few hours. A lot of Meijers are starting to put in fast chargers here which is nice. Being able to plug in and get up to 80% while I shop for 30 minutes is super nice, but the one closest to my house only has level 2s.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Don’t overthink this. The reason retail stores offer amenities is to attract customers. Especially customers with disposable income. Some have free coffee, others a glass of wine while you shop. I was just in the metro DC area where it costs a fortune just to park. Stores will validate up to 2 hours of parking with a purchase. An available L2 charger is to get drivers of EVs to choose their store instead of a competitors store without it.

JRSNoVa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT Performance Grabber Blue
Country flag
One of my local supermarkets has two L2 chargers and another has an EVGo site with 4 L3s. I can charge at home so there's no need to use the L3s most of the time. I go to the store with L2s and use them when available. I only net about 8 miles of range on a half hour shopping trip, but it's better paying for it at home.

TowPro

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150, 23 MME
Country flag
I will go to a store BECAUSE it has level 2 charging if its a larger parking spot (less damage from door dings). I also notice some of the local places with L2 charging will also be up front closer to the entrance. My car will use 10Kw per hour on my home charger, which cost me $1.38 per hour. to me the safety of a larger parking space is a benefit worth paying for.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
our local shopping mall has 10 level 2 "free" chargers and yes there is a two hour limit but it more than makes up the electrons used to get to the mall and back. Our trips to the mall are usually two hours or more anyway since its usually just a morning out to do some walking and people watching.

Tony
So to my earlier point. You use the free chargers at the mall because they are free.

But do you actually need the charge?

This isn’t a dig by the way. I think it’s perfectly fine to use free L2 chargers, even if they’re close to your home.

I’m more questioning if that’s where we actually need them.

It’s one of the major issues with charging infrastructure, we haven’t really figured out where to put them. Some places are obvious- highways and destinations like hotels.

But after that it gets harder. They’re NEEDED far away from home. If you’re anywhere near home, you don’t need to charge on the road.

The solution is pretty simple though for the grocery store, mall, etc……. Don’t make them free. If it costs money, people will only use them if they actually need them.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I think they offer an incentive for EV owners to visit those locations, especially EV owners that don't have L2 charging at home. If you live in an apartment and need to get groceries, even an hour (which is not unreasonable for a full grocery trip from park to leave) could recover 10% battery depending on the L2 capability and the vehicle capability/battery. That could be a huge help to someone that otherwise has to rely on a 110v if they happen to have one where they park at the apartment, or would have to make an additional stop to L3 charge.

I dunno, I don't think their existence is make or break for EVs as a whole, but I think they can be beneficial to those not lucky enough to have a place to charge at home. And since people in that situation are the hardest to get into EVs to begin with, I support anything that makes their ownership experience even a little better.
Sponsored