John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I am really thrilled to see that reservation timestamps mean something. Takes a bit of the anxiety away. Of course, that also means your car is one of the early ones off the line - hope they get good practice by the time mine gets there. I have #00004247, so I think I am pretty early in the build.
Sponsored

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Two questions...
Can I get a test drive by July 31st... do a state to state traveling test drive with some of the proto-types.... I understand if not, but I don't think I am going to put $60k on the line without one...
If not, can I switch trim from FE and keep my original reservation date, but not confirm order until later? I'm sure dealers will have vehicles by Dec 31st 2020....

Johnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium SR AWD, Buick Enclave
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
Two questions...
Can I get a test drive by July 31st... do a state to state traveling test drive with some of the proto-types.... I understand if not, but I don't think I am going to put $60k on the line without one...
If not, can I switch trim from FE and keep my original reservation date, but not confirm order until later? I'm sure dealers will have vehicles by Dec 31st 2020....
Models for test drives won't be available in dealerships until Q4 2020, so no. Not sure on your second question. From what I understand, you can switch models when you convert your reservation to an order, not sure about beforehand.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am really thrilled to see that reservation timestamps mean something. Takes a bit of the anxiety away. Of course, that also means your car is one of the early ones off the line - hope they get good practice by the time mine gets there. I have #00004247, so I think I am pretty early in the build.
Right, it sounds like it's a combination of when you confirm your order and when your reservation was. So a later reservation could get built sooner than an earlier reservation if they wait too long to order... I could see that happening if a recent reservation is willing to order without a test drive, and many want a test drive before completing the final order.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Can I get a test drive by July 31st
I'm not even totally sure there will be dealer demos for test drive by July 31, 2021, let alone July 31, 2020!

OK, mostly joking on that one (mostly). But I'm like you - I'm not committing to anything non-refundable until I get to at least sit in one. And that could very well be a problem even by Dec 31. It sounding like actual customer vehicles are expected to start arriving in Dec (maybe even late Nov), but seems very unclear whether those (assumed) 4000 dealer demos will be sprinkled in that early wave or not. If not, there may be nothing for us to sit in before our reservations expire 12/31/2020.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Two questions...
If I had to guess, no and no.

Demo units will probably not be available until we are closer to delivery time and certainly not before the press has had a chance to review the car. It's possible these reviews will happen in the next few weeks but I doubt it. Once it does happen, we are going to be bombarded all at once with a flood of articles and videos. Gotta love embargoes.

If Tesla is the example Ford is following, then you'll probably get a half hour appointment with the car to crawl around it and test drive. Since there's a limited number of demo units that all of us have to share, don't expect to have the ability to take it home for the weekend or anything like that. You should probably bear in mind that whatever the range and charge speeds are on the release date, they probably aren't going to be the same a year later. They'll probably be better.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Since there's a limited number of demo units that all of us have to share
I really wish we'd get more info on the latest plan for the timing of those demo units, now that the COVID delays have reshuffled things. It can have a significant impact on those of us that want to sit in one before deciding to commit to an order.

Even if it's just a partial spread. Make the first 300 off the line demo units and spread em around to a few key dealerships in all 50 states, so at least most buyers are within a 2-hour drive of being able to go and sit in one sometime in (roughly) November.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Wondering...when we change the dealership, the original dealership loses $500 bonus. But does the new dealership get anything? $500 may not be much but for this being free money for little work, you would think dealership would try harder to please the consumers.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Models for test drives won't be available in dealerships until Q4 2020, so no. Not sure on your second question. From what I understand, you can switch models when you convert your reservation to an order, not sure about beforehand.
Maybe, just maybe, there will be test drives by Q3 2020. I sincerely doubt any will happen by July 31st.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe, just maybe, there will be test drives by Q3 2020. I sincerely doubt any will happen by July 31st.
There were test drives last year, at least some were able to sit in the driver seat and ride shotgun if not full test drive. Even if I had to drive to Detroit to take a test drive but be able to still order from my local dealer it would be worth it.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There were test drives last year, at least some were able to sit in the driver seat and ride shotgun if not full test drive. Even if I had to drive to Detroit to take a test drive but be able to still order from my local dealer it would be worth it.
In the prototypes. Which I think we heard were not the seats that will go in the production units, along with a variety of other parts/features that aren't the same.

It would still be nice to see and sit in one of those though. But I can see how it could be a little tricky as some people would be disappointed that "xxx" and "yyy" wasn't the same as the prototype they sat in. Plus, they're still using the prototypes for testing.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
These bullet points seem very interesting to me. It looks like dealers will need to put their commitment in the online system, and compete with fellow dealerships on the terms/commitments.

* "Make sure your pricing and deposit information is how you want it. - customers will be able to see information for you and all other dealers once the system goes live"
* "If the customers chooses to change dealerships you will not qualify for the $500 reservation bonus."
* "Customers can see dealer price, dealer deposits, and other key details"
That's actually pretty fantastic - considering how difficult it is to get many dealers to give that info

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
Just got these from my dealer. Looks like some maybe new information.

output1.jpg

output2.jpg
This is an awesome sign that Ford is heading in the right direction with this. Straight forward pricing and terms. Very transparent. This makes me a little more excited that they might ACTUALLY be trying to break from their old ways.

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Something is afoot. View reservation now took me to an error page.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag