kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
Forgive my ignorance but what are the differences with CArt1 AWD ER vs Premium AWD ER? Why such a big jump in mileage on the route1?
I wonder the same. I think it is because CAL RT1 is weights less and has somewhat more areo dynamic wheels
Sponsored

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
I have noticed that the car seems to be more efficient if I drive aggressively. I would guess that's because regenerative braking helps big time with range.
That's not how physics works. You'd get better efficiency if you drove less aggressively, because converting electricity into kinetic energy and then converting it back to electricity again are not 100% efficient so you lose range with every conversion.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
There's no aero difference between the select/premium single and dual motor.

But maybe 18" wheel size+bigger battery has the bigger effect than single and dual motor
I get 15-20% less GOM when I run with e-heat on. E-heat sucks up the battery I think.

Cabel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT PE
Occupation
IT Engineer, aviator, gearhead, tinkerer, putterer, wife pesterer.
Country flag
Why doesnā€™t the GT numbers change?
Probably due to other changes in the software that aren't obvious, maybe to increase other performance factors. I'm not worried about it as the
True, but look at the difference in range between the SR AWD and RWD variants (23 miles), and the difference in range between the ER AWD and RWD Premium variants (26 miles).

For the CA Rt. 1s the difference is only two miles?
Wheel size (rolling resistance) is the second biggest factor next to aerodynamic drag. 18" wheels will get you the best range, 22" the worse. This is why the EPA ratings all are submitted by wheel size on EVs that have optional wheel sizes like Tesla and Ford.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
Wheel size (rolling resistance) is the second biggest factor next to aerodynamic drag. 18" wheels will get you the best range, 22" the worse. This is why the EPA ratings all are submitted by wheel size on EVs that have optional wheel sizes like Tesla and Ford.
While aerodynamic drag is factor...that is only a small part of the explanation. Total wheel weight is a major factor and rolling resistance of the tire compound is also a factor.

"Sticky" tires consume more energy to roll than hard compounds of the same size. "Sticky tires" give better grip for acceleration and handling, but at a cost to efficiency and range.

The larger the rim does impact the amount of energy needed, but I think the biggest impact is the location of that extra weight. There is massive difference to the angular momentum/moment of inertia - meaning the more the weight that is further away from the center of the wheel- the more more energy is consumed to get the tires to spin up (and down for that matter). This is why the tire weight is a critical detail in efficiency. The weight of the tread is the furthest away from the center and that extra weight further out makes a significant impact to energy used...and thus range.

Think of a flywheel or gyroscope. If you have a 20 lb rod that is 1" in diameter and spun it with bearings it does not take anywhere near as much energy if you had a spoked rim with almost all of the weight to the outside of the wheel that is 2' in diameter. It takes considerably more energy to spin that larger disk than a rod of the same weight.

As I understand it, the larger tire diameter actually has lower effective rolling resistance because they roll over deformities in the ground more easily, but there is a consequence to the larger wheel in what I noted in the above paragraphs.

Examples: My 2002 Toyota Rav4EV came with purpose built LRR tires for EV's. They were very light for the size. I saw a 10-15% drop in range and notably slower acceleration when I tired conventional tires that were slightly wider, but the same diameter- and 10 lbs heavier per tire (53% heavier) on the same stock rims. It did handle better, but only to a massive trade off.

Our 2013 Chevy Volt also saw about a 5% drop in range when I went to an identical tire size ("eco+" LRR) but each weighed 4lbs heavier than the OEM tire (20% heavier). Weight of the tire has a massive impact to range and acceleration.

Last edited:

rsfloodco

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I just noticed that they updated the ordering page with the 91 kWh usable battery and new EPA range estimates.

Select RWD - 247 miles +17 mi
Select AWD - 224 miles +13 mi

Premium RWD - 247 miles +17 mi
Premium AWD - 224 miles +13 mi
Premium Ext. Range RWD - 303 miles +3 mi
Premium Ext. Range AWD - 277 miles +7 mi

California RT1 RWD - 314 miles +9 mi
California RT1 AWD - 312 miles

GT - 270 miles
GTPE - 260 miles
(GT's ranges are unchanged but 91 kWh usable battery has been updated)

rsfloodco

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
As long as weā€™re clear, here in Colorado when itā€™s below 30, a full charge in my GTPE is 197. They should put that in the brochure

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
As long as weā€™re clear, here in Colorado when itā€™s below 30, a full charge in my GTPE is 197. They should put that in the brochure
They canā€™t. They can only use the numbers produced by the EPA tests. If you want them to publish a winter/summer range set of figures, then you will need to petition the EPA to develop such a test that all cars, regardless of powertrain/fuel-source, have to use. Start by lobbying your local congressional representative.

rsfloodco

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
They canā€™t. They can only use the numbers produced by the EPA tests. If you want them to publish a winter/summer range set of figures, then you will need to petition the EPA to develop such a test that all cars, regardless of powertrain/fuel-source, have to use. Start by lobbying your local congressional representative.
Thanks but I was being facetious. Pretty sure being a lobbyist isnā€™t in my future.
Sponsored