Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER IB Job 1
Occupation
Engr Prof emeritus
Country flag
Porsche Taycan uses 2 gears.
The EPA emissions certification clearly states that that the low/first gear is used only for launch high performance acceleration, and that All of the energy consumption evaluations are for second/top gear only. So yes, it does help explain the very high performance acceleration results, but does not have any thing to do with good hwy range.

I think the high performance Taycan is particularly robust with respect to range and energy consumption because: 1) they don't modify the standard EPA label correction of 0.7, and 2) high performance vehicles may be a bit more robust with respect to sensitivity to speed and driving style. Mostly just my supposition at this point. I am working on a model of this... :)
"All models are wrong, some models are useful" - remember the quote, don't remember the source.
I am hopeful that the Mach-E is also relatively robust for range as a fairly high performance vehicle. Of course we will need actual data.

If you "race" a BMW M3 against a Prius, the M3 actually gets better fuel economy, but the Prius is still better for most driving. I also don't have the original source. I may be getting old?

In short, the Taycan two speed trans is just for launch acceleration, and not at all for energy efficiency, other than to get both the efficiency with the accel performance.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
also, when the embargo is lifted on the 15th, any chance some of the reviewers had a chance to a drive range test? Or are we looking at January after first delivers for someone to do a drive test?
Not sure if any will have gotten one long enough to do a full top-to-bottom charge, but just showing some good miles/kWh readings in various scenarios will allow us to calculate it. Hoping we get those.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Dang, was hoping for city/highway/combined of at least 100 MPGe across the board for my AWD SR. At least got it on one of them (city).

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
I’m not sure anyone on this forum has broken out this term before, but in the EV world we always just refer to the estimated range as the GOM: the Guess o’ Meter.

Range is so dependent on speed, climate control, and driving style that you just really can’t rely on what the car tells you and certainly not the EPA mileage. Now they get better about guessing as they learn your driving style but it’s still just a guess.

Some anecdotes:

Early in my EV driving life I found myself with 5 miles showing on the Guess O Meter and only 2 miles left to travel. It was 90 degrees in TX and those 2 miles were almost all 70mph highway. I ended up pushing it to my driveway from about a block away.

Conversely, the only other time I EVER let the GOM get that low, I had 5 miles of estimated range and about 8 miles to travel. Turned off the AC and the radio, exited the highway and took side roads the rest of the way home. Made it into the garage with no issues.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I’m not sure anyone on this forum has broken out this term before, but in the EV world we always just refer to the estimated range as the GOM: the Guess o’ Meter.

Range is so dependent on speed, climate control, and driving style that you just really can’t rely on what the car tells you and certainly not the EPA mileage. Now they get better about guessing as they learn your driving style but it’s still just a guess.

Some anecdotes:

Early in my EV driving life I found myself with 5 miles showing on the Guess O Meter and only 2 miles left to travel. It was 90 degrees in TX and those 2 miles were almost all 70mph highway. I ended up pushing it to my driveway from about a block away.

Conversely, the only other time I EVER let the GOM get that low, I had 5 miles of estimated range and about 8 miles to travel. Turned off the AC and the radio, exited the highway and took side roads the rest of the way home. Made it into the garage with no issues.
Yup I've frequently used the GOM term (and its all over my blog).

Keep in mind Ford has stated several times that the Mach-E's GOM will be the most accurate one yet (and even uses the cloud to make it more accurate).

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The EPA emissions certification clearly states that that the low/first gear is used only for launch high performance acceleration, and that All of the energy consumption evaluations are for second/top gear only. So yes, it does help explain the very high performance acceleration results, but does not have any thing to do with good hwy range.

I think the high performance Taycan is particularly robust with respect to range and energy consumption because: 1) they don't modify the standard EPA label correction of 0.7, and 2) high performance vehicles may be a bit more robust with respect to sensitivity to speed and driving style. Mostly just my supposition at this point. I am working on a model of this... :)
"All models are wrong, some models are useful" - remember the quote, don't remember the source.
I am hopeful that the Mach-E is also relatively robust for range as a fairly high performance vehicle. Of course we will need actual data.

If you "race" a BMW M3 against a Prius, the M3 actually gets better fuel economy, but the Prius is still better for most driving. I also don't have the original source. I may be getting old?

In short, the Taycan two speed trans is just for launch acceleration, and not at all for energy efficiency, other than to get both the efficiency with the accel performance.
The BMW vs Prius test was done on the show Top Gear. There might have been other sources, but I know this one is out there.

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag

Some anecdotes:

A lot of this goes for ICE, too. I've had similar experiences wherein I was promise 40 miles of range by the DTE (distance-to-empty), and I was only 40 km to the next gas station, so, no problem. Except, that 40 miles was dropping a lot faster than one mile per mile. In about 20 miles I was at 0 DTE, and I did manage to limp to the service centre to fill the tank. I'm pretty sure that kilometers are a lot smaller than miles.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Edit 12 Dec 2020
Added California Rt 1 sticker information, and also economy in Miles/kWh.
1607784205689.png
I would like to see an EPA test for an SR California Route 1 (or real-world test). It should be 32 kWh/100 or better.
?

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
So depending what the HP output of the motor(s) is will determine how fast the battery is depleted compared to a lower HP output motor?
Well isn't that a given: For a given speed (RPM) of an electric motor a larger motor is going to deplete the battery faster than a smaller one simply because its going to use more current to stay at that speed. (There are other factors, of course, they would have to be the same design: a permanent magnet motor is going to be different from an induction motor which will be different from a squirrel cage motor which will be different from...)

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag

I have thought about this, and the review I'd like to see is this: Several EVs all start at point A with fully charged batteries (Teslas, MME, Taycan, etc.)

They then drive together, same speeds, same roads, same distances, for about 2.5 hours.

At that point, they report SOC and actual charging time to 80%. Then they drive home and do it again.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have thought about this, and the review I'd like to see is this: Several EVs all start at point A with fully charged batteries (Teslas, MME, Taycan, etc.)

They then drive together, same speeds, same roads, same distances, for about 2.5 hours.

At that point, they report SOC and actual charging time to 80%. Then they drive home and do it again.
I think it can be much simpler than that. A one-time head-to-head like that won't work when there's 5, then 8, then 12, then 20 comparable BEVs. That come out at different times.

What we really need IMO is a miles/kWh number cruising at 70 MPH at 70F with no climate control. Then another one at 70 MPH at 30F with climate control set to 70F after preheat (since heating appears to have a dramatic effect on power consumption, and thus range).
Sponsored