buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
That makes sense then, you’re comparing smaller vehicles and a “loaded” price point.

For $70k for a GTPE, you are getting a $40k interior, but paying the extra $30k for performance.

If you were expecting anything different, you will be disappointed.

It works that way with most cars on the market.

Think anyone should compare the interior of a Challenger Hellcat to an Audi or Mercedes just because they cost the same?

Just out of curiosity, which of the GTPE options vs other Mach E variants do you think are overpriced? Feel free to line item it. Personally I found the options list quite reasonable. Only thing I’m sad is missing is cooled seats.
The problem is you not really getting 30k worth of performance, I admit I am the odd ball that won't touch an BEV that doesn't have a form of adaptive suspension so as a premium magneride does not exist, well I had to go down the GTPE route, and on that front I am happy and will enjoy putting the miles on my GTPE and forget about the price, had I purchased it as a performance vehicle then I would have been just as disappointed as I was with the focus RS which it replaced.

For the price increase over the premium AWD extended, the GTPE just does not have the extensive list of performance upgrades you would expect from a ford performance derivative, which would be fine if they elevated the cabin more in its place, apart from the seats and an out of place GT logo on the arm rest (there is space for the GT logo at the bottom of the steering wheel dimwits) and some other miko bits on the dash and door cards it is no different, you don't even get unique sportier shaped rear seats, however they seems to be something that always goes AWOL from Fords on this side of the pond :( .

So really at this price,

There should be no hard plastics in my eyeline,

The rear should have heated seats, and ambient lighting with a ski hatch pass through in the rear arm rest

Felt lined door pockets so items don't make a noise when placed in them (BEV after all).

Center storage bin needs internal USB inputs & the plastic slot which the cover slides in should not be razor sharp, also add the metal look to the handle don't leave it plain like some base entry level trim.

The rear USB ports should not look like what there probably where a 12v socket that become USB at the last minute of production so needed to them to be placed in a round 12v plastic cover.

The GT / GTPE should have gotten the sportier C2 flat bottomed steering wheel with the mode buttons as GT / GTPE owners are more likely to be constantly switching back n forth between modes while driving

And while it is a performance cliché, ditch the piano gloss black and replace it with carbon fiber (even fake is better than scratch magnet piano black gloss), same goes for the tacky unique aluminum applique, replace it with actual brushed aluminum or carbon fiber.

Then you have the complete lack of attention to detail, now while this is small it is just not something you expect at this price point, and that is Ford did not go to the trouble of changing the start up animations or the clam screen you get images with the front end of the standard mach-e, If my much cheaper focus ST / RS could have unique ST & RS start up animations in the instrument cluster then no excuses for not doing the same for the GT / GTPE.

Overall the potential is there with the mach-e it just needs some refinement upgrades to the cabin, while from the performance aspect it needs a lot of work not just in the straight line acceleration, but also in the steering and braking Ford have the engineers and the parts bin to accomplish it lets hope they can with the model refresh or better yet as doing modifications is a mustang past time sell them as ford performance upgrades.
Sponsored

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
The problem is you not really getting 30k worth of performance, I admit I am the odd ball that won't touch an BEV that doesn't have a form of adaptive suspension so as a premium magneride does not exist, well I had to go down the GTPE route, and on that front I am happy and will enjoy putting the miles on my GTPE and forget about the price, had I purchased it as a performance vehicle then I would have been just as disappointed as I was with the focus RS which it replaced.

For the price increase over the premium AWD extended, the GTPE just does not have the extensive list of performance upgrades you would expect from a ford performance derivative, which would be fine if they elevated the cabin more in its place, apart from the seats and an out of place GT logo on the arm rest (there is space for the GT logo at the bottom of the steering wheel dimwits) and some other miko bits on the dash and door cards it is no different, you don't even get unique sportier shaped rear seats, however they seems to be something that always goes AWOL from Fords on this side of the pond :( .

So really at this price,

The rear should have heated seats, and ambient lighting with a ski hatch pass through in the rear arm rest

Felt lined door pockets so items don't make a noise when placed in them (BEV after all).

Center storage bin needs internal USB inputs & the plastic slot which the cover slides in should not be razor sharp, also add the metal look to the handle don't leave it plain like some base entry level trim.

The rear USB ports should not look like what there probably where a 12v socket that become USB at the last minute of production so needed to them to be placed in a round 12v plastic cover.

The GT / GTPE should have gotten the sportier C2 flat bottomed steering wheel with the mode buttons as GT / GTPE owners are more likely to be constantly switching back n forth between modes while driving

And while it is a performance cliché, ditch the piano gloss black and replace it with carbon fiber (even fake is better than scratch magnet piano black gloss), same goes for the tacky unique aluminum applique, replace it with actual brushed aluminum or carbon fiber.

Then you have the complete lack of attention to detail, now while this is small it is just not something you expect at this price point, and that is Ford did not go to the trouble of changing the start up animations or the clam screen you get images with the front end of the standard mach-e, If my much cheaper focus ST / RS could have unique ST & RS start up animations in the instrument cluster then no excuses for not doing the same for the GT / GTPE.

Overall the potential is there with the mach-e it just needs some refinement upgrades to the cabin, while from the performance aspect it needs a lot of work not just in the straight line acceleration, but also in the steering and braking Ford have the engineers and the parts bin to accomplish it lets hope they can with the model refresh or better yet as doing modifications is a mustang past time sell them as ford performance upgrades.
Dang man, your list of asks needs to get realigned with the reality of the price point, methinks.

No wonder we can’t hang with a Model Y in the 1/4 mile, their customers are happy with a steering wheel, seats and a screen, so it weighs 500 lbs less.

Our people’s be wantin silent door pockets, brushed aluminum and carbon fiber trim, and movie theater rear floor lighting. ?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

So really at this price,

FWIW, I would like all the things you mentioned. I just think the car you describe would cost another $5k more which would really start pushing the upper limit of price for the car right now.

Now an extended range awd premium starts at $55,800.

GT with same options 63,395. And performance is $5k more.

So are hp, suspension, brakes, wheels and seats worth the extra money? For me? Absolutely.

The pricing difference between models is almost identical to how the price the ICE Mustang. The amount of differences between models is about the same too.

On the ICE it’s $9k to go from ecoboost to GT. And the performance package is $6500 (brakes, wheels, suspension and a few other goodies). And Mag ride is another $1695.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
This always makes me LOL when Tesla owners think something like this is a “solution.”

FYI, in case anyone has the idea, painting googlie eyes on your sunglasses is NOT a solution so you could take a nap while using Blue Cruise.
You're an idiot if you plan to sleep with any of these systems. Those tesla drivers that hack the system so that they can climb in the back seat are only doing it to get attention. Kinda like the TIDE POD challenge. They deserve the consequences.

The thing is that it's still up to you to pay attention with either system. What happens with blue cruise if you divert your eyes for too long? Will the car just stop on the highway? Will it just beep?
I see no problem with using a weight on the wheel if you're going to pay attention.

Besides, it's all moot as tesla has an interior camera, and a recent hack into their firmware shows that they are going to use it for eye tracking.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Dang man, your list of asks needs to get realigned with the reality of the price point, methinks.

No wonder we can’t hang with a Model Y in the 1/4 mile, their customers are happy with a steering wheel, seats and a screen, so it weighs 500 lbs less.

Our people’s be wantin silent door pockets, brushed aluminum and carbon fiber trim, and movie theater rear floor lighting. ?
A lot of Tesla owners are a special breed that somehow got convinced they are in a luxury vehicle and as a result are a lot cause, besides they way they are going owners will be unhappy if it next one comes with a steering wheel :)

You do realize that the felt lined door pockets are available on a Ford costing less than half the price, heck you can even gets Fords costing less than half the price with massage front seats, the problem is the home market has been short changed for so long expectations have been kept artificially low, it is still deemed not worthy enough to even have the heated front windshield something first used back in the late 1980's on European Fords, last time I checked in a it gets cold in quite a few places on this side of the pond, the American consumer deserves far better :(

Jeff_S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT Performance
Country flag
Nearly every car is a compromise in terms of price point and schedule. My last car was a 2017 VW GTI. The interior on that car is incredible. I've sat in Porsches and seen the same parts-bin pieces in them that were in my VW. They have huge economies of scale that let them accomplish a lot. The investment is easily justified. That GTI has an amazing interior that is well above its price point.

You can compare the new EV VWs with the Mk 7 GTI and see where VW compromised. Whereas my GTI had soft touch materials nearly everywhere (yes, the door pockets are flocked on GTIs!) the new ones save money with hard plastics here and there. They use cap touch switches instead of mechanical ones (a terrible trend) to save more money. Even the mighty VAG has to cut corners to pay for the very expensive electric powertrain.

These Mach Es are not yet high-volume vehicles- even 50,000 in a year is peanuts compared to, say, the F-150 or the Golf. Could they have flocked the door pockets? Sure, but it means qualifying another adhesive, sourcing the felting material, and developing a manufacturing process for cutting and installing it. I'm just speculating here, but my guess is that they were laser-focused on getting the platform built, and putting an engineer on the door-pocket-flocking qualification would take an engineer away from something else. For my purposes, a $2.00 sheet of felt and some sharp scissors will solve the problem quite efficiently. Same thing for a ski pass-through: on its own, it's easy, and I'm sure the marketers and engineers debated it during the development. But that's what roof racks are for. This is a solvable problem.

Anyway, in my opinion, Ford has knocked it out of the park with their decision making. The range, exterior, and interior are all acceptable. The performance of the GTPE is more than acceptable for what I'm going to use it for, which is commuting and an occasional 200-mile road trip. It can fit my family and some stuff, it rides high enough that my wife feels safe with all the trucks on the road (big problem in the Z4M for her), and of course, it has tons of that wonderful electric torque. I don't drive 100 miles per hour and I don't drag race, but I do like to punch it from a stoplight now and then.

In summary, these early-gen BEVs (yes, this whole EV industry is in the early innings) have to make trade-offs to hit acceptable price points. I'm pleased with Ford's decisions and I'm voting with my dollars. Luckily for all of us, there are options in the market now, so each person can choose the trade-off that they prefer.

Last edited:

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Nearly every car is a compromise in terms of price point and schedule. My last car was a 2017 VW GTI. The interior on that car is incredible. I've sat in Porsches and seen the same parts-bin pieces in them that were in my VW. They have huge economies of scale that let them accomplish a lot. The investment is easily justified. That GTI has an amazing interior that is well above its price point.

You can compare the new EV VWs with the Mk 7 GTI and see where VW compromised. Whereas my GTI had soft touch materials nearly everywhere (yes, the door pockets are flocked on GTIs!) the new ones save money with hard plastics here and there. They use cap touch switches instead of mechanical ones (a terrible trend) to save more money. Even the mighty VAG has to cut corners to pay for the very expensive electric powertrain.

These Mach Es are not yet high-volume vehicles- even 50,000 in a year is peanuts compared to, say, the F-150 or the Golf. Could they have flocked the door pockets? Sure, but it means qualifying another adhesive, sourcing the felting material, and developing a manufacturing process for cutting and installing it. I'm just speculating here, but my guess is that they were laser-focused on getting the platform built, and putting an engineer on the door-pocket-flocking qualification would take an engineer away from something else. Same thing for a ski pass-through. On its own, it's easy, and I'm sure the marketers and engineers debated it during the development. For my purposes, a $2.00 sheet of felt and some scissors will solve the problem quite efficiently.

Anyway, for my purposes, Ford has knocked it out of the park. The range, exterior, and interior are all acceptable. The performance of the GTPE is more than acceptable for what I'm going to use it for, which is commuting and an occasional 200-mile road trip. It can fit my family and some stuff, it rides high enough that my wife feels safe with all the trucks on the road (big problem in the Z4M for her), and of course, it has tons of that wonderful electric torque. I don't drive 100 miles per hour and I don't drag race.

In summary, these early-gen BEVs (yes, this whole EV industry is in the early innings) have to make a trade-off to hit acceptable price points. I'm pleased with Ford's decisions and I'm voting with my dollars. Luckily for all of us, there are options in the market now, so each person can choose the trade-off that they prefer. .
Just commenting to second the GTI refinement for its price and class. I sold my 2016 Autobahn to make way for my incoming Mach E.

Jeff_S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT Performance
Country flag
Just commenting to second the GTI refinement for its price and class. I sold my 2016 Autobahn to make way for my incoming Mach E.
Yes, same thing here. I had a 2017 SE. It was a fantastic car. Right now we've got the Z4M and an Odyssey. I will be sad to see the Z4M go- it's really a ton of fun to have a stick shift again- but my guess is that once I have electric torque at any RPM, the novelty of rowing gears will fade. I will miss putting the top down, though.