Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Not a Ford engineer and no knowledge of how this came about - but I have nearly 2 decades of engineering test experience behind my WAGs here:

First - development of the MME originally started out as a more generic, Escape size crossover and mid-development it was shifted to being a Mustang. That's not a WAG - this is: This led to the design team reshaping the existing design to look more Mustang-ish and likely engineering rework to optimize the already in-design propulsion system to get as much power and acceleration as they could out of something originally conceived to be less sporty. Fortunately, electric motors are pretty good at putting out sporty performance numbers, so they were able to get into the Mustang ballpark for most use cases.

Second - I'm guessing the GT/GTPE development was a further optimization of that system that was behind the base MME development - in other words, I expect they designed the MME and then took the design further with the higher HP front motor for the GT and other optimizations for the GTPE but the MME design was probably pretty locked in by that point.

Third - I bet they discovered the system they designed melted down (literally) at full performance for "extended" periods so late in the design or test phase that reworking it was some combination of too difficult, too time-consuming, and too costly to do and stay anywhere near on schedule. The 5-second limitation would literally get the GTPE from 0 to any legal street speed outside Germany with full performance, and they bet (probably rightly) that this car isn't destined for the track in 99.99% of the cases so a few lost sales weren't worth the costs.

They jumped the shark a bit calling it a Mustang Performance Edition when it's not meant to tear up a track, but at this point - what would you call it? The GT name made sense, what would you suggest for the GTPE to denote that it's the peak of the current MME performance that didn't also imply it's a race car?

Anyway - my point is that you're right it's not a track monster and Ford knew that and decided they're fine with it. It's a really damn quick daily driver that's a joy to drive, and Ford knew that too. Everything else about what "MUSTANG" means went out the window with the MME - this isn't any different than the argument it's not a mustang because it has 4 doors, or cargo space, or an electric engine, or an automatic transmission, or ...
Just want to say I totally agree with your characterization, I also think that's exactly how it happened. Pack was designed for a mid-tier EV with only about 200 HP, and later they optimized the crap out of the power limits to make a GT model with the same pack and hit the max 0-60's without melting stuff. Hence the genesis of the 5 second rule.

In the end, they ended up melting our HVBJBs.
Sponsored

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT in the best color ever made (cyber orange!)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Why couldnā€™t they just get a Tesla engineer to help them with the pack, and avoid the embarrassment of losing to everything on the drag strip? Naturally the aesthetic of the car is superior to just about everything else IMHO, save the EV6, which I know is polarizing also and I love it tooā€¦

Oh well :( mustangs realy are never the fastest in their class in a straight line anyways. I have owned an 02 GT, an 08 GT, and a 50th anniversary 5.0, and they all lose to their Camaro performance counterparts. But at least you donā€™t have to drive a Chevy.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
As others have side, time will tell with the Blazer SS. However, seeing video reviews like this one from Doug Demorio on the ICE version of the Blazer gives me a lot of pause. Now in the Blazer's defense, Doug mostly knocked it for not being a bigger competitor to offroaders (like the Bronco) but he made it clear it was rather "bland" in about every category. Maybe the EV version will be totally different than the ICE version but if you look at pics, they look to be the same, which I think is the problem. The Mustang Mach E was designed from the ground up as an EV. Before I placed my order, I was looking hard at the BMW I4, but quickly realized the fact it was based on an ICE platform made it behind in several important categories. So unless the Blazer EV version has different underpinnings, I think the Mach E will beat it in many categories.... Then again, I could be wrong.

I love Doug's look of disgust in this pic (sorry I couldn't help posting this).

1663990195546.png

If on the other hand it really smokes it, I may not keep my MME for very long. I didn't want to wait 2 more years to find out.
The Blazer EV had nothing to do with the ICE Blazer platform. It rides on the same Ultium platform as the Cadillac Lyriq. Totally different animals.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
True that skidpad isnā€™t everything (lightweight Miata for example).

But thinking thatā€™s gonna happen in a 5900 lb SUV is a pipe dream!

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/05/2023-cadillac-lyriq-awd-weighs-more-than-an-escalade/amp/

2023 Cadillac Lyriq AWD Weighs More Than An Escalade
But you forget - With the battery pack down low your CG height is greatly reduced, and CG height is more important than total weight where handling is concerned. Youā€™ll see. šŸ˜Ž

Panzer948

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT PE, 2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 BMW M4, CJ5
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
The Blazer EV had nothing to do with the ICE Blazer platform. It rides on the same Ultium platform as the Cadillac Lyriq. Totally different animals.
I later saw that. But some of this ICE car will show up in its EV sibling, like controls, materials, suspension. Regardless, I am looking forward to actual testing of the Chevy EV SS before making a final conclusion.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I later saw that. But some of this ICE car will show up in its EV sibling, like controls, materials, suspension. Regardless, I am looking forward to actual testing of the Chevy EV SS before making a final conclusion.
They've said NOTHING is shared between the ICE and EV platform.

And that makes sense...they won't be on the same chassis or anything even remotely resembling one another.

Panzer948

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT PE, 2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 BMW M4, CJ5
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
They've said NOTHING is shared between the ICE and EV platform.

And that makes sense...they won't be on the same chassis or anything even remotely resembling one another.
I find nothing hard to believe though. They look so close in all the pics. What about exterior items like headlights, body cladding, controls inside. I am not trying to be a smart a%$ but there are a lot of similarities.

Chevy Blazer ICE
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-e GTPE loses to everything 1664035575819

Chevy Blazer EV
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-e GTPE loses to everything 1664035649196

Look, I am not knocking the vehicle. I almost waited to buy it instead of putting money down on a Ford. Heck, if I was smart, I would hold out for it since my only other experience with EVs is with GM (Chevy Volt) and it is still going strong. But there are definitely going to be some shared components and the fact remains, the ICE powered Blazer got some bad press.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
blazer looks nice. But I think I'm done with 1st year EV vehicles. I will wait for the second year or beyond from now on. Seems like every manufacture is having problems with their EVs, and getting their dealership trained and equipped adequately.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
But you forget - With the battery pack down low your CG height is greatly reduced, and CG height is more important than total weight where handling is concerned. Youā€™ll see. šŸ˜Ž
I didnā€™t forget that at all.

I still think itā€™s a pipe dream that this 5900 lb monster will be a good handler.

The base model weighs less, has the same low CG, and handles like hot garbage.

More weight and better tires arenā€™t going to equal a magic transformation.

On a related note, have they talked about if the SS will have mag ride?

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
As others have side, time will tell with the Blazer SS. However, seeing video reviews like this one from Doug Demorio on the ICE version of the Blazer gives me a lot of pause. Now in the Blazer's defense, Doug mostly knocked it for not being a bigger competitor to offroaders (like the Bronco) but he made it clear it was rather "bland" in about every category. Maybe the EV version will be totally different than the ICE version but if you look at pics, they look to be the same, which I think is the problem. The Mustang Mach E was designed from the ground up as an EV. Before I placed my order, I was looking hard at the BMW I4, but quickly realized the fact it was based on an ICE platform made it behind in several important categories. So unless the Blazer EV version has different underpinnings, I think the Mach E will beat it in many categories.... Then again, I could be wrong.

I love Doug's look of disgust in this pic (sorry I couldn't help posting this).

1663990195546.png

If on the other hand it really smokes it, I may not keep my MME for very long. I didn't want to wait 2 more years to find out.
There are more considerations than the car reviews. The economic situation worsens rapidly. The car manufacturers will be hit hard. GM is likely go into bankruptcy again, but this time the Fed won't be able to bail them out. The inflation is very sticky and Fed can't afford to f*k it up and let the it get out of control.
Ford is also in danger of going out of business, but I hope they will be able to separate and save the EV business before the collapse.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I didnā€™t forget that at all.

I still think itā€™s a pipe dream that this 5900 lb monster will be a good handler.

The base model weighs less, has the same low CG, and handles like hot garbage.

More weight and better tires arenā€™t going to equal a magic transformation.

On a related note, have they talked about if the SS will have mag ride?
Hyperbole? Hot garbage? Thatā€™s not what Tony Quiroga of CD said. And, itā€™s a Cadillac luxury EV SUV tuned for comfort not max lat G numbers anyway. Iā€™d bet on MR dampers being on the SS but GM has some new Passive Plus Premium Dampers that the Lyriq utilizes. The details are interesting.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...llac-lyriq-450e-debut-edition-by-the-numbers/

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Hyperbole? Hot garbage? Thatā€™s not what Tony Quiroga of CD said. And, itā€™s a Cadillac luxury EV SUV tuned for comfort not max lat G numbers anyway. Iā€™d bet on MR dampers being on the SS but GM has some new Passive Plus Premium Dampers that the Lyriq utilizes. The details are interesting.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...llac-lyriq-450e-debut-edition-by-the-numbers/
Maybe you're right (though personally I doubt it), but Car and Driver / Motortrend are no better than paid advertisers in 2022. They give special reviews for special access. Did it for Rivian, probably doing it here since you can't actually buy a Lyriq off a lot.

Since this is now apparently a GM thread, some of the initial (objective) reviews from TFL and StateofCharge on charging the Hummer EV and it's "Ultium" battery pack are terrible. The vehicle throttles hard or stops charging all together after a few minutes. Hope for their sake it's a software bug.