Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Cancelled my service appt because I’ve ironed out most issues myself.

- Fixed the mirror folding issue as explained above.

- The mirror fix has made the pony puddle lamps much more reliable. Still a bit inconsistent but I think this is mainly coming down to a PAAK / fob confusion issue at this point.

- “Fixed” the lift gate sensor problem bu reading the owner manual. Turns out you have to make a kicking motion toward the underside of the center bumper. Waiving your foot sidewise under the bumper doesn’t work. Works much better now that I’m doing it correctly. Still not perfect but again I think we’re now down to a PAAK / fob issue.

That leaves spotty PAAK, alarm motion sensor not sticking, and screen buzz. Nothing the dealership can do for me there. The first two should hopefully be improved with a software update. The third is up to Ford whether they’re going to swap the screens or not (doubtful).
Sponsored

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My latest bug list (I haven’t received the OTA update yet)....
  • My Trip Computer “Trip A” is stuck on 2.7mi/kWh even though the math using miles driven and SOC as a percentage of 88kWh) indicates I’m getting closer to 3.5. I have reset the Trip A and it’s still saying 2.7.
  • Sometimes the climate control comes on when I start the car, even though it wasn’t on when I last turned the car off. And it takes a few seconds and a few persistent taps to get it to turn off.
  • The Alarm System - Motions Sensors setting won’t stick. I keep switching it to Off, and every time I restart the car it has reverted to On. I’m using a profile but this setting won’t stick.
  • Pony lamps continue to be quite unreliable, but this could be a problem of me keeping my fob too close to the car when it is parked in the garage. The fob sits in an adjoining laundry room less than 10ft away. So it could be the car remains in contact with the fob and times out the lamps. I will try storing the fob further from the car when not in use.
  • Alarm system sometimes goes off when opening doors. Ford evidently has a non-OTA fix for this that I am scheduled to receive tomorrow.
  • PAAK is unreliable, but I can’t detail or reproduce the problems. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Sometimes it is just slow.
  • Plug & Charge doesn’t work, and actively interferes with EA charging sessions.
  • The Ford.com tiles under my My Vehicle are mostly wrong and a complete mess.

• On the hardware front, my only issues are driver screen buzz, and the hand nanny and rain sensing wipers are both a tad bit too sensitive. But the car is nearly flawless from a hardware perspective!

Last edited:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Small weird bug today. I set auto mirror folding to off as I am trying out a new mach-e car cover. Today after our trip when we walked away the mirrors folded in. Thought weird but nothing more as the cover was not going on then. When I started it a few hours later the mirrors did not come back out. Put it in reverse, drive, moved both ways and mirrors stayed folded in. Setting and toggled mirrors back to auto fold and the mirrors came back out?

MichaelScott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
What is the best way to report bugs to Ford?
Is there ANY way??

I'm totally OK with being an early adopter of this car and recognize that there will be kinks that need to be worked out. But honestly, it seems like these forums are the only places where these things are being discussed by owners--there are only a few thousand owners of these vehicles out there, and I would think that the people who developed the car take immense pride in it and would want to be able to know about the problems that come up, but to my knowledge, there's no way to report bugs that don't rise to the level of bringing it to the dealer. I even signed up for the Big Data Drive Community and there is no way to report a bug there, either.

To be clear, I'm overall very happy with the car and would 10/10 buy it again, but for example, the phone as key is currently not reliable enough for me to use it. Dare I say the feature is "defective," and given that PaaK is the reason we only got one key fob, it seems like this should be covered under warranty and we should get a second key fob if our PaaK doesn't work. My dealer quoted $300-$400 for a second one, which is absurd. I called Ford, was on the phone for an hour and bounced around to 5 people who either didn't know what to do or just told me it wasn't covered, and nobody was able to tell me how I could even report the issue, much less cared about the fact that one of their early adopters--who is basically an ambassador for the car who shows it to strangers on the street--has a problem that could be easily addressed.

We went with Ford over other EVs because they have a century-long history of pride in their work, which is clearly on display in the development of the Mach-E. But I would like to think with all their boasting they would be better than Tesla as far as maintaining that sense of pride after it has been sold.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is there ANY way??

I'm totally OK with being an early adopter of this car and recognize that there will be kinks that need to be worked out. But honestly, it seems like these forums are the only places where these things are being discussed by owners--there are only a few thousand owners of these vehicles out there, and I would think that the people who developed the car take immense pride in it and would want to be able to know about the problems that come up, but to my knowledge, there's no way to report bugs that don't rise to the level of bringing it to the dealer. I even signed up for the Big Data Drive Community and there is no way to report a bug there, either.

To be clear, I'm overall very happy with the car and would 10/10 buy it again, but for example, the phone as key is currently not reliable enough for me to use it. Dare I say the feature is "defective," and given that PaaK is the reason we only got one key fob, it seems like this should be covered under warranty and we should get a second key fob if our PaaK doesn't work. My dealer quoted $300-$400 for a second one, which is absurd. I called Ford, was on the phone for an hour and bounced around to 5 people who either didn't know what to do or just told me it wasn't covered, and nobody was able to tell me how I could even report the issue, much less cared about the fact that one of their early adopters--who is basically an ambassador for the car who shows it to strangers on the street--has a problem that could be easily addressed.

We went with Ford over other EVs because they have a century-long history of pride in their work, which is clearly on display in the development of the Mach-E. But I would like to think with all their boasting they would be better than Tesla as far as maintaining that sense of pride after it has been sold.
Completely agree. It’s frustrating because we are beta testing this car for them, we have valuable input, and there’s no way to report it to the right people unless they read this forum.

And I also agree that I LOVE this car. Overall, I consider it pretty darned close to perfect. It’s just frustrating that it is taking so long to fix some things.

The alarm motion sensor: off setting not sticking ought to be fixed by now. Some of the FordPass app’s connection issues should be fixed by now.

Plug & Charge, maybe that’s more complicated so I’ll try to be patient but it’s a pain.

I’m going to also try to be patient on the screen buzz. I know that’s likely a supplier issue and it will take time to get it sorted out, but it sure would be nice to get some confirmation that Ford is working on it.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Can we make this a poll or a spreadsheet or something so we have a running total of the number of people who’ve had each issue?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So after my fifth or sixth call to Ford Customer Relations, one of the agents just leveled with me: it's a waste of time to call them. They're basically a level 1 help desk, and they'll note your issues but they really can't even escalate stuff. She said that if I really want results, I need to work directly with a Ford service department, which has the ability to escalate issues to the "right" people at Ford. So, that's what I'm going to do from here on out. If I don't get results that way, I may start a twitter account to start talking to Ford publicly about all the bugs and maybe that will get their attention.

Today's Issue List which I've sent to my dealer.....

• Driver’s Instrument Screen emits a buzzing noise. This buzzing noise changes somewhat when you toggle the screen brightness up and down (using the physical buttons near driver’s left knee). You can mask the sound with other ambient noise when the car is driving, but when the car isn’t moving the buzz is audible. It is annoying. Many other owners have reported this issue. The screen shouldn’t buzz like that in such a premium vehicle. The main touchscreen doesn’t buzz at all. I’ve had this issue since I bought the car.

• My car alarm sometimes goes off. The dealership has already re-programmed the BCM pursuant to a Ford service bulletin, but this didn’t fix the issue. The reprogramming did, however, reset all my settings which I had to go back in and reset. I cannot recreate when and why the car alarm goes off, but it may be related to the next issue….

• My “alarm motion sensor: off” setting refuses to stick. In Settings > Vehicle > Alarm, you can toggle the interior motion sensors on/off. I want this setting OFF because sometimes my kids get in the car before me, or stay in the car when I’m at a charger, and they set off the alarm. BUT no matter how many times I toggle this to Off, the setting refuses to stick. Every time I restart the car, it is toggled back to On. Incredibly frustrating. I have already created a Profile to retain my settings, but this setting just refuses to stick. I’ve had this issue since I bought the car.

• On my trip computer, the miles/kWh sometimes refuses to reset. I often have to switch screens, or restart the car, or press the reset button repeatedly to get it to reset. Interestingly, pressing Reset does correctly reset all other data on the trip computer – just not miles/kWh. Another stupid, intermittent software bug. I’ve had this issue since I bought the car.

• Today, I found that my lights were switched to On instead of Automatic. I definitely did not change that setting. Even though it is a physical dial near the driver’s knee, I believe this “dial” is not a mechanical setting, but just more software. I have experienced this issue once so far on 3/29/21.

• I plugged in my car to charge last night using the provided mobile charger in my garage. I have created a Charging Schedule for my home, which includes the times it is supposed to charge and the max charge. I set the max charge to 90% to help preserve battery life. This morning, I discovered that the car started charging when it was supposed to, but ignored the 90% max charge and charged all the way to 100%. I have experienced this issue once so far on 3/39/21.

• Yesterday, I was almost stranded in Kansas City while trying to get home to Wichita because two different ChargePoint 50kW public chargers failed to initiate charges. I called the folks at ChargePoint and they were unable to help. I have since discovered through PlugShare.com that another Mustang Mach E likewise couldn’t charge at one of those chargers, but they work for other cars. When I deviated to a longer route to go past a ChargePoint 125kW charger, that one worked fine. It appears that the Mustang Mach E has a compatibility problem with ChargePoint 50kW chargers. When I called Ford to help me yesterday, Ford was CLOSED (Sunday afternoon). It is very distressing to me that Ford doesn't have 24/7 support for charging issues.

• The FordPass app has too many bugs to count, but my primary problem is that I’ve never been able to use it to successfully initiate a charge, either with Electrify America or ChargePoint chargers.

• Ford supposedly released an Over the Air software update last week, but my car still hasn’t been updated. I don’t know whether that OTA update will fix any of my problems because Ford has refused to provide any release notes as to what bugs the OTA update was supposed to fix. Where is my OTA update and what is it supposed to do?

Last edited:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
I fixed the folding mirror issue. With the car in park and the mirrors extended, I pressed the button on the left driver's armrest (top left corner) to fold the mirrors. I think I actually had to press it two times. Each time I pressed I could hear the actuators working, and the second time the mirrors folded. Then I pressed a third time to fold them back out. When I locked the vehicle, the mirrors folded themselves. Perhaps (but unlikely) this may explain the inconsistent pony lamp issue.

The fickle lift gate sensor remains a mystery. I am wondering if maybe that is being caused by a conflict between the fob and PAAK. I suspect this also may be the culprit of the inconsistent pony lamps. I'll do some testing tonight.
I think the lift gate sensor is just fickle. I don't have Phone-as-a-Key setup, and have walked up to the car with the fob in my pocket and sometimes it opens and sometimes it doesn't

I've got bigger problems and my car has been at the dealer since last Thursday because the LTE modem won't communicate and it won't charge with *any* DCFC, only Level 1 or Level 2

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the lift gate sensor is just fickle. I don't have Phone-as-a-Key setup, and have walked up to the car with the fob in my pocket and sometimes it opens and sometimes it doesn't

I've got bigger problems and my car has been at the dealer since last Thursday because the LTE modem won't communicate and it won't charge with *any* DCFC, only Level 1 or Level 2
I resolved the lift gate by using the correct motion. You have to make a kicking motion toward the underside of the center of the bumper. It doesn’t work if you wave your foot back and forth - has to be a kick forward.

Last edited:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Ya but it is fun in a parking lot when people are watching wondering what you are doing kick the vehicle numerous time (straight in and out just like the manual says). Just takes once and then you say what the heck am I doing get in and push a button, use the phone, the button on the tail gate just too many work arounds to be kicking at it numerous times. But then I try again to see if its better and sometimes yes sometimes no. Not a biggie for me just a small bug.

With regard to your charging problem that is a new one for me but not unexpected from what I have read so far. Welcome to the extended group with communication/charging problems. Hope it gets taken care of right away.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mine sometimes takes two "kicks". The car car is locked, the first kick often doesn't open the liftgate, but the lights flash and I hear a motor whirring. Then the 2nd kick after that opens the liftgate.

But if the car is already "awake", then it only takes one kick.

Last edited:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I resolved the lift gate by using the correct motion. You have to make a kicking motion toward the underside of the center of the bumper. It doesn’t work if you wave your foot back and forth - has to be a kick forward.
"just pretend you're a Rockette"
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Issues Compilation List (Wiki) giphy (4)

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another bug for the list....

When my car is locked and I approach with my fob or phone in pocket, only the front and rear driver doors can be opened by pressing the door buttons. Cannot open the passenger doors in this manner unless the driver door has already been opened.

Can’t find a setting for this. It used to work. Now it doesn’t. Very inconvenient.
Sponsored

Last edited: