Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
That doesn't bode well for depreciation. When dealers are selling them new for $30k less than what they sold for a year ago, that's gotta be painful to current owners and to 2020 prospective buyers.
As I said once before, the dealer is absorbing the bulk of the depreciation. So there's that. ;)
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
As I said once before, the dealer is absorbing the bulk of the depreciation. So there's that. ;)
Yeah, you scored a heckuva deal as will anybody buying a 2019 today. But if someone bought new in 2019 at close to MSRP? Ouch.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag

phila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I-Pace HSE, Mach E (preorder)
Country flag
So the 20k discount my jaguar dealer is offering on the ipace is tempting. The main reason i never considered one was because of the premium price closer to 80k for one and the jaguar reputation for being in the shop a lot. The discount brings the price a lot closer to the mach e for me and i think the i pace looks really nice and has some great performance evidently. One of my hesitations is resale value- they are only offering this discount on a purchase and not a lease and i have some serious concerns about the i pace sinking like a stone in resale value. whenever we buy an electric car there's always that question of whether it's going to wind up being a dud that no one wants a few years from now (ELR, Volt, etc.). My reason i'm likely sticking with the mach e is the interesting lease type product that they are talking about with it and the large screen in the interior and overall more tech. i like that ford is really trying to create a Tesla fighter here and the ipace is basically a BEV Evoque- not a bad thing but the tech with the ford could be great. i'm also worried the Ford will be a dud but at least the lease option limits the amount of loss i'll experience. curious what you all think? If anyone mentions Trump or the virus i'll lose my mind! Thoughts?
I have an ipace for a while now as our only car for the family of four with two very young ones. The initial software struggles are now over and things have greatly improved from the black screens of death that I and many others experienced with more or less the initial launch version and the general sluggishness. I have had a fault with one of the doors not working anymore which apparently also was a known one for the 2019 models which was quickly fixed otherwise all good, although still low mileage. It is tough to compare the ipace to a car I have never driven so how it will match up against the MachE is hard to say but certainly the interior will be spacier then in the ipace and also more trunk space and of course the frunk is huge in the MachE, something which basically can only hold a charge cable in the Ipace. Looks wise very similar I would guess with the Ipace having a more exclusive and luxury feel towards it then the MachE likely will and also lots of different interior colors, my favorite is the tan interior. Lots of buttons and knobs on the IPace, MachE will not have that. One of my biggest loves of the IPace is the Heads Up display which really is state of the art and has made driving for my wife and I so much easier having to never take the eyes of the road for literally anything. MachE has that console right under the dash which is OK but will not come close to what the IPace offers with its heads up display. Wheels is a major thing though. An IPace with 18" wheels is not nice to look at at all where as the 20" and of course the 22" are the real eye candy with range being affected of course. Charge wise MachE will get up to 150kw fast charging compared to just around 100 for IPace, not a big deal for me as I am home every night but for many this is a big deal. IPace only sports a all wheel drive unit regardless of trim and of course MachE has AWD and RWD available which is important for me as for a lot of the driving I do AWD is not required.
All in all, two great cars at vastly different price classes. For me the MachE seems more to be a typical family oriented car with school kids where as the IPace seems to be more for the kid free lifestyle simply based on size of the interior and storage inside. I do understand that Jaguar and the IPace sales in the US are a major struggle so hence such a price drop is understandable. Here in Europe and especially Norway prices have hardly dropped and the resale value of an IPace is still very high, but this country and BEVs is totally different then any other market in the world anyway.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Thanks @phila! Your feedback on the I-PACE is always appreciated. When Jaguar increased the charging speed from 80kW to 100kW, was there a noticeable change in the time it took to charge? I've seen the I-PACE (90kWh) charge from 10% to 80% between 40-45 minutes on Ionity chargers which is interesting to me since the Mustang Mach-E (99kWh) charges in the same amount of time despite the 150kW charging capability.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've got the 20" wheels which seem to be the best compromise. I totally agree that although the 18s will get you more range, they are not particularly attractive. Thus far I can see my range is certainly higher than the EPA estimate. I'd say I'm probably in the vicinity of 250-260 miles. A really nice I-Pace forum member I've spoken to in California says that he can get 280 miles in Eco mode. I've used Eco mode and don't see much of a difference in drivability between Eco & Comfort (the standard mode). So I'll probably use Eco mode more.

Looks are certainly subjective, but inside & out I greatly prefer the I-Pace to the Mach E. Compared to the Tesla I traded in, I unquestionably prefer the interior of the I-Pace, but give a slight edge to the Model S for exterior looks & sleekness. But with that said, I am honestly getting far more compliments on the I-Pace than I ever did with the Tesla. That may be because you don't see many I-Paces on the road whereas Teslas are fairly common.

I've yet to fast charge my I-Pace, but plan to do that in the next few days. I certainly don't need to do it, but I want to see how the I-Pace does with fast charging.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I've got the 20" wheels which seem to be the best compromise. I totally agree that although the 18s will get you more range, they are not particularly attractive. Thus far I can see my range is certainly higher than the EPA estimate. I'd say I'm probably in the vicinity of 250-260 miles. A really nice I-Pace forum member I've spoken to in California says that he can get 280 miles in Eco mode. I've used Eco mode and don't see much of a difference in drivability between Eco & Comfort (the standard mode). So I'll probably use Eco mode more.

Looks are certainly subjective, but inside & out I greatly prefer the I-Pace to the Mach E. Compared to the Tesla I traded in, I unquestionably prefer the interior of the I-Pace, but give a slight edge to the Model S for exterior looks & sleekness. But with that said, I am honestly getting far more compliments on the I-Pace than I ever did with the Tesla. That may be because you don't see many I-Paces on the road whereas Teslas are fairly common.

I've yet to fast charge my I-Pace, but plan to do that in the next few days. I certainly don't need to do it, but I want to see how the I-Pace does with fast charging.
You gotta do the charging all Bjorn-style! 10% to 80% on a high powered charger. :)

symos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Esprit
The initial software struggles are now over and things have greatly improved from the black screens of death that I and many others experienced with more or less the initial launch version and the general sluggishness.
So, just to clarify, you're saying the infotainment is NOT sluggish any more?
Because that was the one major letdown for me when I test drove.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You gotta do the charging all Bjorn-style! 10% to 80% on a high powered charger. :)
I love watching his videos. He's funny when he tries to be and funny when he doesn't! ;)

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bjorn Tesla. He’s a Tesla guy but tries all kinds of BEVs. His videos are long...very long.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I would add to what @Ken7 said that while yes, they're long, they're also quite thorough (and entertaining!). Bjorn is basically the gold standard of EV testing for both range and charging. That is why so many of us are looking forward to Bjorn getting his hands on the Mustang Mach-E for a few days.

phila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks @phila! Your feedback on the I-PACE is always appreciated. When Jaguar increased the charging speed from 80kW to 100kW, was there a noticeable change in the time it took to charge? I've seen the I-PACE (90kWh) charge from 10% to 80% between 40-45 minutes on Ionity chargers which is interesting to me since the Mustang Mach-E (99kWh) charges in the same amount of time despite the 150kW charging capability.
I have never used a fast charger capable of more then 50kw so I do not have an answer for that one and do not have any longer distance trips planned in the future as it seems like our houses are the place to be now during these corona times ...
But I am guessing the MachE will at first be throttled down to around 100kw charging speeds and then Ford will gradually crank that up as they get more cars on the road, this is what others are doing as well and Jaguar did too.

phila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, just to clarify, you're saying the infotainment is NOT sluggish any more?
Because that was the one major letdown for me when I test drove.
Well I am comparing it to what it once was of course and then I would say it is not sluggish and works just fine but there is still some delay at times when navigating through the menus. But in all honesty I hardly touch things on there anymore and have set things up the way I want it now, and plus the buttons on the steering wheel are a great short cut for many of the repetitive tasks that I do like changing stations and stuff like that. Basically it is just the navigation and the air controllers which I use the screens for. The navigation is still clumsy but in my opinion almost all car navigation is still clumsy that does not use a google maps native thing. The over the air updating has been nice as well but I did need to get my telematics stuff done at the dealer and they gave me a loaner IPace for the day. So yes I would say the software is now stable, after many beta versions which I and many others tested out for far too long. I would no longer say that this is a major negative on the IPace anymore like I once did.
Sponsored