Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
So when I had mine put up into the flatbed, both times they were unable to find those holes, and I had no idea they were there at the time, so they used cloths straps and wrapped them around something and got it up that way. Can anyone tell me what they might have done? Both times I couldn't pay close attention as the first one I was on the phone with my dealership and the other I had to go back inside to work, he just needed help putting it into emergency tow mode. Nothing seems damaged and I'm sure the dealership would have told me if there was damage from either time but not sure what they would have wrapped the straps around.
Sponsored

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
So when I had mine put up into the flatbed, both times they were unable to find those holes, and I had no idea they were there at the time, so they used cloths straps and wrapped them around something and got it up that way. Can anyone tell me what they might have done?
Just a guess, but they probably winched by the lower control arms. Should be OK if the wheels were free to turn, if they were locked, it would not be good for the joints/bushings.

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
I think there's already a threaded hole for the tow hook behind the emergency frunk access cables, we just didn't get the actual hook in US spec cars.
There's a hole, no threads for the not-provided tow hook.

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Just a guess, but they probably winched by the lower control arms. Should be OK if the wheels were free to turn, if they were locked, it would not be good for the joints/bushings.
Oh okay! Yeah both times I put the car into emergency tow mode and it was switched into neutral. Thank you! ?

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
There's a hole, no threads for the not-provided tow hook.
Doh. I saw it and thought it was threaded. Lesson learned

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I've wondered about this myself - I think there's already a threaded hole for the tow hook behind the emergency frunk access cables, we just didn't get the actual hook in US spec cars. Even though I'd stick with the recommended points if I needed a tow, it sure seems like a tow hook would be good to have in an emergency, right?
yes, seems like a REALLY good idea.... but a quick look under the access port reveals that the US bumper does NOT have a hole w nut welded centered in port. So, this little project will likely require drilling a hole, pulling the frunk tub, positioning a threaded tow hook, and welding the back nut to the bumper....

Too bad the US and European bumpers are different!

I'll get a closer look at this to see if there is easy access to the back of the bumper pretty soon when I pull the Frunk tub to add 12v connection cables.

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
thinking about if I ever needed to be towed out of my garage. since it's front loading to a flatbed I would need to role out the MME into the driveway. If it's dead, will it role? Does the dial go into neutral from park when applying the brake? I also assume the e-brake will release if the MME is dead. I know there's Tow Mode, but if it's dead and the screen isn't working that won't help.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
thinking about if I ever needed to be towed out of my garage. since it's front loading to a flatbed I would need to role out the MME into the driveway. If it's dead, will it role? Does the dial go into neutral from park when applying the brake? I also assume the e-brake will release if the MME is dead. I know there's Tow Mode, but if it's dead and the screen isn't working that won't help.
I hope it doesn't role. What role would it play?

Battery's dead. Open front bumper port, provide 12v, open car, open frunk, charge battery enough to move shifter...

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I hope it doesn't role. What role would it play?

Battery's dead. Open front bumper port, provide 12v, open car, open frunk, charge battery enough to move shifter...

It might be on the table at a restaurant...or maybe this guy is involved...

Thanks for the battery dead steps.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
If it is dead (meaning you cannot power up the ignition) then the car will be in park and will not go out of park. At that point there are rally only 2 options for the tow driver. 1) drag the car onto the bed with the wheels locked in place as it is dragged up or 2) put wheel dollies under the locked wheels. Since it is a lot of work to put the car on dollies, the driver will usually pick option 1.

dhoerl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
If it is dead (meaning you cannot power up the ignition) then the car will be in park and will not go out of park. At that point there are rally only 2 options for the tow driver. 1) drag the car onto the bed with the wheels locked in place as it is dragged up or 2) put wheel dollies under the locked wheels. Since it is a lot of work to put the car on dollies, the driver will usually pick option 1.
It sounds prudent for owners to keep a small 12V battery around that has enough power to pop the frunk. With that, a tow truck driver could then use a 12V jumper battery on the LVB, and let you put the car into N with the wheels unlocked.

In fact I saw some small battery with jumpers in COSCO this weekend that claimed it could jump start a ICE car - but the battery sure looked too small to me.

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
if I've pulled the car into the garage nose first, from what everyone is saying there's no hook point to drag the car out. I like RickMachE's idea of trying to get enough juice to the battery to move the shifter in this hypothetical situation.

Gil McC

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Shelby GT500, 20Infinity G37X, 2021 MME GT PE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Outstanding. Any way to make it a sticky post? Going to print this out and keep in the car (should it ever arrive…).
I copied the pictures and then made them a bit smaller so they would fit an 8 1/2 x 11 horizontal page. Then printed them on my home printer - the printer didn't loke that I was printing a picture on plane paper but over rode that and now have pictures I can put in the car.
Sponsored