Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT AWDe and Honda Insight
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag
I decided to venture and do this without any help or wiring diagrams. I couldn't find ANY resources online for any reference. I managed to figure it out and I took photos along the way to help others that may be wanting to do the same.

I've done many mirror taps in the past, but this one was a bit intimidating, not knowing where to tap because of all the unusually color coded wires, and all the tech involved in this piece.

PLEASE PLEASE be VERY careful removing the plastic housing. I don't want to be responsible for anyone breaking this piece. Be gentle and take your time.

Circled is the terminal that you will be using removing and tapping into. The release is on the top, towards the windshield.
File_000.jpeg

Testing the taps:
File_002.jpeg

The Black Wire is the neutral/ground. Connect the Black tap wire to this. The White Wire is the 12v switched lead. Connect the Red tap wire to this.
File_005.jpeg

This is what it looks like tapped:
File_006.jpeg

Testing:
File_007.jpeg

Vehicle off:
File_003.jpeg

Vehicle on:
File_004.jpeg

Complete!
File_009.jpeg

File_008.jpeg
Exactly where in the cover should one start to pry it to open? I do not want to pry in the wrong spot and break any of the clips?!

Darkenmage

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag
I decided to venture and do this without any help or wiring diagrams. I couldn't find ANY resources online for any reference. I managed to figure it out and I took photos along the way to help others that may be wanting to do the same.

I've done many mirror taps in the past, but this one was a bit intimidating, not knowing where to tap because of all the unusually color coded wires, and all the tech involved in this piece.

PLEASE PLEASE be VERY careful removing the plastic housing. I don't want to be responsible for anyone breaking this piece. Be gentle and take your time.

Circled is the terminal that you will be using removing and tapping into. The release is on the top, towards the windshield.
File_000.jpeg

Testing the taps:
File_002.jpeg

The Black Wire is the neutral/ground. Connect the Black tap wire to this. The White Wire is the 12v switched lead. Connect the Red tap wire to this.
File_005.jpeg

File_006.jpeg

Testing:
File_007.jpeg

Vehicle off:
File_003.jpeg

Vehicle on:
File_004.jpeg

Complete!
File_009.jpeg

File_008.jpeg
Sorry but I tried pulling down on the middle left and right side of the cover but it wont budge and I did not want to exert too much effort in fear of breaking the tabs. Are there specific spots on the cover where you need to do the pulling/pinching to release those tabs?

Can one use something to gently pry them open?

Darkenmage

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag
You can just use your hands.

Wow, watching your video, it seems to have pried so easily but when I tried mine, it is really super tight and I am afraid to exert additional pressure for fear of breaking any of the tabs holding it.

Any suggestions?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

Darkenmage

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag
TY. I will try again and exert more effort. Crossing my fingers and toes....

Darkenmage

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag

Panzer948

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT PE, 2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 BMW M4, CJ5
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
Great write-up as I need to install 12V power on for my radar detector and eventually a dash cam. I wonder if this circuit could handle both? Has anyone split the + and - leads coming out of the plug to go to dash cam and detector (or some similar 12v device)?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Great write-up as I need to install 12V power on for my radar detector and eventually a dash cam. I wonder if this circuit could handle both? Has anyone split the + and - leads coming out of the plug to go to dash cam and detector (or some similar 12v device)?
I would think that one additional accessory is already pushing the circuit, as it was designed just for the mirror dimming. I definitely would not try to add two accessories to the circuit. It is not all that hard to run power up the A-pillar from the fuse box. 🤔🐩

Panzer948

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT PE, 2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 BMW M4, CJ5
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
I would think that one additional accessory is already pushing the circuit, as it was designed just for the mirror dimming. I definitely would not try to add two accessories to the circuit. It is not all that hard to run power up the A-pillar from the fuse box. 🤔🐩
True, but alot easier to pull from there and a time savor at that. I don't have a problem going down the A-pillar if I need to though but need to get more familiar with this car (had it only a few days) so just trying to learn. Maybe there is another circuit in there I can tap into. If not, A pillar it is. I will likely need a separate constant on power source anyway.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
True, but alot easier to pull from there and a time savor at that. I don't have a problem going down the A-pillar if I need to though but need to get more familiar with this car (had it only a few days) so just trying to learn. Maybe there is another circuit in there I can tap into. If not, A pillar it is. I will likely need a separate constant on power source anyway.
If you need both switched and constant, check over on the FitcamX thread. @markboris and several other of us ran +12V switched and +12V constant up the A-pillar for our cams (along with ground). 😊🐩

RC-Premium23

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium
Country flag

File_000.jpeg

Testing the taps:
File_002.jpeg

File_005.jpeg

File_006.jpeg

Testing:
File_007.jpeg

Vehicle off:
File_003.jpeg

Vehicle on:
File_004.jpeg

Complete!
File_009.jpeg

File_008.jpeg
What kind of pins are you using to tap that connector?
Thanks!

apailthorp

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e GT, 2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Last edited:

Vinces34

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 mache
Country flag
THANKS jdmrc93! Took about 10 mins and works perfectly In conjunction with the irr mount for the redline 360c.

IMG_3520.jpeg

IMG_3521.jpeg

IMG_3521.jpeg

IMG_3520.jpeg