Modification to prevent loss of the clips that hold the three panels in the "frunk".

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
This procedure will block the open end of the structure that allows the clip to slide out.

Get some small diameter steel wire or failing that a supply of paper clips which are usually made from steel wire.
Select a drill bit that has a diameter slightly larger than the wire.
Look at the open end of the structure that holds the clip.
Note that there are two raised ridges on either side of the clip.
Drill a hole just past the end of each ridge.
Bend a piece of wire so it will go through both holes.
Cut the excess wire from the bent parts about 1/4" from the bend.
Insert the wire into the holes and bend the ends back toward each other.
This creates a block that prevents the clip from sliding out of the structure.
Repeat until all of the clips are blocked.

It's best to do this before any clips are lost. Four were missing when I modified my car.

I was not able to find the clips on Amazon. I did find one that required modification before it could be used.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Modification to prevent loss of the clips that hold the three panels in the "frunk". 20220114_132919
Sponsored

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE, Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Sorry, but I don't follow this. What clips are you referring to? What is this a picture of?

OP
OP
murphy62

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Sorry, but I don't follow this. What clips are you referring to? What is this a picture of?
Apparently you have never removed any of the three panels in the frunk. The clips are what hold the panels in place. Several have gone flying every time I removed a panel.
The picture is of the wire I added to block the clip from escaping.

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Apparently you have never removed any of the three panels in the frunk. The clips are what hold the panels in place. Several have gone flying every time I removed a panel.
The picture is of the wire I added to block the clip from escaping.
Actually, I have removed parts of the panels in the frunk. Never had this problem. I still don't know what you've done. Additional pictures would be helpful.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Actually, I have removed parts of the panels in the frunk. Never had this problem. I still don't know what you've done. Additional pictures would be helpful.
Having the clips fly off is a very common occurrence and there are numerous reports on the forums about lost clips.

If you’ve had the Frunk panels off, you’ll recognize these slots.

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Having the clips fly off is a very common occurrence and there are numerous reports on the forums about lost clips.

If you’ve had the Frunk panels off, you’ll recognize these slots.
You know, I was truly trying to understand this thread. I took my frunk panels out a year ago and haven't thought about it since. I certainly don't remember what these clips looked like or what they do. It would have been nice to get some clarification to what the picture was. One more picture of where the clips are installed in the frunk would have been helpful, but I guess I'll just let it go.

BillPitman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, ‘21 J2 Space White Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This procedure will block the open end of the structure that allows the clip to slide out.

Get some small diameter steel wire or failing that a supply of paper clips which are usually made from steel wire.
Select a drill bit that has a diameter slightly larger than the wire.
Look at the open end of the structure that holds the clip.
Note that there are two raised ridges on either side of the clip.
Drill a hole just past the end of each ridge.
Bend a piece of wire so it will go through both holes.
Cut the excess wire from the bent parts about 1/4" from the bend.
Insert the wire into the holes and bend the ends back toward each other.
This creates a block that prevents the clip from sliding out of the structure.
Repeat until all of the clips are blocked.

It's best to do this before any clips are lost. Four were missing when I modified my car.

I was not able to find the clips on Amazon. I did find one that required modification before it could be used.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Modification to prevent loss of the clips that hold the three panels in the "frunk". 20220114_132919
Would drilling a small hole in front of the clip, and installing a pan head sheet metal screw work also?! The object is to keep the clip from sliding out, no?
Bill Pitman

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
You know, I was truly trying to understand this thread. I took my frunk panels out a year ago and haven't thought about it since. I certainly don't remember what these clips looked like or what they do. It would have been nice to get some clarification to what the picture was. One more picture of where the clips are installed in the frunk would have been helpful, but I guess I'll just let it go.
I don’t disagree with more pictures really. I knew what the area was but that’s just me. My mind is a virtual cesspool of totally useless information. ;)

What I really remember is people losing several of these clips though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
murphy62

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
You can pull a panel out of your car just as easily as I could pull one out of mine.
Pull the top center panel.
Turn it upside down.
You will see several pins arranged around the periphery of the panel.
They are plastic and can be slid out of their mounting point through a slot in the mount.
The modification blocks the slot so the pins can't be slid out of the slot.
There are three bad possibilities that I have seen.
1. The pin breaks in half making it useless.
2. The pin slides out of the mount and stays attached to the car.
3. The pin separates from the car and the panel and either falls down into the car or goes flying.

I have never been able to remove a panel where all of the pins stayed attached to the panel.

Given that two panels have to be removed to access the 12 volt battery jump points, IMHO, it is a very poor design.

My car is 6 months old and I have received two notifications in Fordpass that my 12 volt battery needs to be replaced. They may be correct because the charging voltage stays at 15 volts throughout a one hour drive. That is an indication that the battery never reaches full charge or the battery charging circuit has failed.

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Given that two panels have to be removed to access the 12 volt battery jump points, IMHO, it is a very poor design.
OK, now I understand what you are talking about. I thought that you were referring to the panels that make up the frunk divider.

As far as accessing the 12V charging points, I drilled 2" holes over each of the two terminals and capped them off with plastic inserts. Makes it very convenient to access these terminals.

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Select AWD comfort/tech pkg
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
OK, now I understand what you are talking about. I thought that you were referring to the panels that make up the frunk divider.

As far as accessing the 12V charging points, I drilled 2" holes over each of the two terminals and capped them off with plastic inserts. Makes it very convenient to access these terminals.
I would love to see what you did regarding the holes you drilled. can you check voltage thru the holes?

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Select AWD comfort/tech pkg
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How did you get the holes over the terminals lined up just right? thanks
Just eyeballed it from another picture I had seen. You have about a half-inch to play within any direction.
Sponsored