JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Just removed the frunk organizer: just a screwdriver and those pop fasteners come loose.

It really looks like they sent some guys out into the lot at the plant with the organizers, a bucket of the fasteners, a cordless drill, and a small hammer. All the holes looked drilled into.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Just removed the frunk organizer: just a screwdriver and those pop fasteners come loose.

It really looks like they sent some guys out into the lot at the plant with the organizers, a bucket of the fasteners, a cordless drill, and a small hammer. All the holes looked drilled into.
The whole divider thing is really unfortunate, but it's better than delaying the release of the cars to wait for whatever safety issue still needs to be resolved.

When you put the fastners back in the holes after, do they stay in relatively tightly? Or do they rattle around in the holes without the organizer in there?

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
The whole divider thing is really unfortunate, but it's better than delaying the release of the cars to wait for whatever safety issue still needs to be resolved.

When you put the fastners back in the holes after, do they stay in relatively tightly? Or do they rattle around in the holes without the organizer in there?
They were pretty tight. They work a lot like a moly for dry-wall.

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Put them back to plug the holes.
At least it looks like we can put the divider back in if we choose too - and thank goodness they dont need special scree drivers to remove them

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
So out driving around, of course ;)

A few things I noted:
  • I get how they designed in the "essence of Mustang" in it: High door sills, short window, ridges in the hood all contribute to making you feel like you're sitting in a 'stang instead of high up in a C/SUV (like an Escape..the window sill on our Escapes ride a few inches lower on my shoulder than the Mach-E)
  • Furthering the "illusion" of riding in a 'stang is the doors: On a 'stang coupe you have long heavy doors that close with a satisfying thunk. They duplicated that in the Mach-E (even though they are shorter)
  • Other items: Sometimes selecting items doesn't take: tried to put it into Whisper and a few seconds later it was back in Engage (even though Whisper highlighted and the dash iconagraphy changed), later trying to set the tolerance for the intelligent cruise first try didn't store
  • Phone still doesn't Android Auto (even with the upgraded AA apk) and still reboots on USB connection (figure I'm going to have to live with that)
  • Love the automatic cruise down to a stop
  • Driving in the dark with some pretty fluffy fluries really confuses lane keeping LOL
  • One time this week the "this trip" meter didn't reset the miles; all the other values reset but the mileage started back up from where it was
  • Really needs some power meters: Charge rate, regen rate, kWh consumed on the trip meters--it would really be nice to be able to switch the %ages in the "where has my power gone" display to kWh. This is either an oversight or they just thought "nobody wants to know this". I find it strange given that the Focus Electric had those displays everywhere

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
I took a few pictures of the Mach-E next to our 2018 Escape just to get a bit of a size comparison: (Yeah I'm in Michigan and it has salt on it...sue me)

Ford Mustang Mach-E My obligatory "its here" thread - Route 1 DSC_0008

Above you can clearly see that the Mach-E is shorter in height than the Escape by a few inches. You can also see that the hood is taller.
Ford Mustang Mach-E My obligatory "its here" thread - Route 1 DSC_0011

You also can see the height difference here and the difference between the size of the front windows (something I mentioned above that contributes to the Mach-E really feeling like you're in a Mustang).

When I was backing the Escape out to take the pics I did notice that the window sill is significantly lower in the Escape than the Mach-E.

Thus you feel like you're sitting on and Escape where you feel like you're sitting in the Mach-E.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I took a few pictures of the Mach-E next to our 2018 Escape just to get a bit of a size comparison: (Yeah I'm in Michigan and it has salt on it...sue me)

Above you can clearly see that the Mach-E is shorter in height than the Escape by a few inches. You can also see that the hood is taller.

You also can see the height difference here and the difference between the size of the front windows (something I mentioned above that contributes to the Mach-E really feeling like you're in a Mustang).

When I was backing the Escape out to take the pics I did notice that the window sill is significantly lower in the Escape than the Mach-E.

Thus you feel like you're sitting on and Escape where you feel like you're sitting in the Mach-E.
Thank you. That'll be my comparison as well, as our 2013 Escape will be the other vehicle in our stable.

My preference is for taller and more SUV-like, but the Mach-E is close enough (even though I still wish it were 2-3" taller all the way around).

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Thank you. That'll be my comparison as well, as our 2013 Escape will be the other vehicle in our stable.

My preference is for taller and more SUV-like, but the Mach-E is close enough (even though I still wish it were 2-3" taller all the way around).
It might have just come down to a choice of making the car 2"-3" higher or an extra 45-50 miles of range. I wonder how the MME's height compares to the eTron or iPace?

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
It might have just come down to a choice of making the car 2"-3" higher or an extra 45-50 miles of range. I wonder how the MME's height compares to the eTron or iPace?
Ford Mustang Mach-E My obligatory "its here" thread - Route 1 4FB10001-B58C-4F0E-85A2-CA2C804CC588
Ford Mustang Mach-E My obligatory "its here" thread - Route 1 575E191C-63AD-443C-A9CF-98D26F2B9100
Ford Mustang Mach-E My obligatory "its here" thread - Route 1 E5674EDD-3CA3-48BF-BDF2-23126AE34BC4

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Out for a Saturday drive and decided to see how the Mach-E does with a quick charge (DCFC). Stopped at this EA DCFC (https://www.plugshare.com/location/186536 -- darn it forgot to post a pic in Plugshare).

(It stayed at ~43kW for the entire 8 minutes of the charge; it was only 23F out; the station was a 150kW station.)

Only charged for about 8 minutes to get 5 kWh of charge. Everything was going great (as you can see in the video) but once I stopped filming, put everything away and hit "Stop Charge" (mental note don't stop filming until everything is done!) the charge rings on the outside connector showed orange/red and the dash showed "Charge Station Fault". Even Ford Pass had something to say about it:
Ford Mustang Mach-E My obligatory "its here" thread - Route 1 1613259019278

I wonder if I moved to fast for everything: I pressed "stop charge" on the station and turned around, grabbed the cable and pressed the disconnect button on the handle before it was unlocked from the car (yeah stupid me should have waited--I've done this properly before in the Bolt...sigh).

No complaining about my crappy parking job either: No one else was there and it was snowy ok--thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Out for a Saturday drive and decided to see how the Mach-E does with a quick charge (DCFC). Stopped at this EA DCFC (https://www.plugshare.com/location/186536 -- darn it forgot to post a pic in Plugshare).

(It stayed at ~43kW for the entire 8 minutes of the charge; it was only 23F out; the station was a 150kW station.)

Only charged for about 8 minutes to get 5 kWh of charge. Everything was going great (as you can see in the video) but once I stopped filming, put everything away and hit "Stop Charge" (mental note don't stop filming until everything is done!) the charge rings on the outside connector showed orange/red and the dash showed "Charge Station Fault". Even Ford Pass had something to say about it:
Ford Mustang Mach-E My obligatory "its here" thread - Route 1 1613259019278

I wonder if I moved to fast for everything: I pressed "stop charge" on the station and turned around, grabbed the cable and pressed the disconnect button on the handle before it was unlocked from the car (yeah stupid me should have waited--I've done this before in the Bolt...sigh).

No complaining about my crappy parking job either: No one else was there and it was snowy ok--thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Great info! Not so great speeds though. Be interesting to see if 40-50 kW is going to be the norm for temps in the 20's (F).

Fortunately I don't expect to be doing many road trips in the 20's. But sometimes it gets that low for Spring and Fall trips through the mountains, even though it may be 70F where I'm heading. 100 miles at 2.3 miles/kWh (interstate speeds and cold) = 43 kWh = 1 hour of charging at that rate. And that's every 100 miles (beyond the first home-charge leg). That's normally "supposed" to be be about 30 minutes per charge.

Hopefully that improves.

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Chevrolet Suburban K1500
Country flag
My wife and I went out today to look at the e-tron firsthand. To us the exterior of the e-tron looks bigger (taller and longer), but we were disappointed with the rear seat width and legroom, especially the middle of the rear seat - there is an angled screen for rear climate control that is in the way. It is definitely more of a 4.5 seater. Interior is very nice as is the ride. All info screens are very well done. Frunk is disappointingly small. Overall not too bad, though.
Sponsored