solarmoo900

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE AWD ER
Country flag
How are people handling (or going to handle) nav software, especially with the potential OTA upcoming for preconditioning the battery for charging?

I was planning on fully using Android Auto for everything but now I worry I might be stuck using the built in nav. I live in a pretty cold climate so the preconditioning would be huge but I'm guessing if I use google maps that the car would have no idea I'm heading for a charging station.

Curious on what people's plans are
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
How are people handling (or going to handle) nav software, especially with the potential OTA upcoming for preconditioning the battery for charging?

I was planning on fully using Android Auto for everything but now I worry I might be stuck using the built in nav. I live in a pretty cold climate so the preconditioning would be huge but I'm guessing if I use google maps that the car would have no idea I'm heading for a charging station.

Curious on what people's plans are
You should try out the built in nav. Its not too bad, and the maps are supposedly continuously updated. It also figures in your charging stops if needed.

I also had planned on using android auto, especially since its wireless. But I tried out the built-in on the way home from the dealer and was very impressed by its functionality. It even adds on the range meter your range, and miles to your destination or charger.

OP
OP

solarmoo900

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE AWD ER
Country flag
You should try out the built in nav. Its not too bad, and the maps are supposedly continuously updated. It also figures in your charging stops if needed.

I also had planned on using android auto, especially since its wireless. But I tried out the built-in on the way home from the dealer and was very impressed by its functionality. It even adds on the range meter your range, and miles to your destination or charger.
Yeah, I'll probably plan on using the built in with spotify over AA. Figure that preconditioning will be worth it and google maps still doesn't have great charging support

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Not that I'll be DC fast charging much at all, but general plan for trips with DC charging involved would be Waze on Carplay for the alerts and Sync Nav for putting in charging stops so that the battery will precondition.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Not that I'll be DC fast charging much at all, but general plan for trips with DC charging involved would be Waze on Carplay for the alerts and Sync Nav for putting in charging stops so that the battery will precondition.
Exactly what I was thinking, too.

OP
OP

solarmoo900

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE AWD ER
Country flag
I really hope there is a better way because that just sounds miserable TBH. Like having to enter in multiple addresses in multiple pieces of software just to be able to charge properly. Also wondering how the smaller screen nav will work with two competing navigations running

Really hoping that the ford nav works well enough

blheron

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Can you use better route planner or PlugShare charge through android auto?

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
It’s starting to make a bit more sense why Tesla doesn’t have CarPlay/Android Auto. Controlling the ecosystem eliminates some complexity and frustration that customers may have. Give them one choice for Nav and the car preconditions every time...

I’m hopeful the announced Apple/Ford partnership for EV mapping will allow for integration into the Ford software for preconditioning... but this seems highly optimistic.

OP
OP

solarmoo900

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE AWD ER
Country flag
Can you use better route planner or PlugShare charge through android auto?
ABRP definitely does not support android auto yet but not sure about plugshare

Without the preconditioning though I don't think any android auto solution will be great

Macheeee

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F-150, 2013 Honda Crosstour, 2010 Audi A5 Con
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Heating up the battery before you get to a DCFC station so that it can charge at a high rate right away. Cold batteries charge slowly.
I have looked all over and do not see how to "precondition" a battery except by charging it, setting a departure time while plugged in, or driving it. Is there another way to force the battery into precondition mode while plugged in at home? Also, If I set departure time to be 8:00 AM everyday, how long will it keep the interior ready and battery preconditioned? Or does it start the process so it is ready at 8:00 and then turns off?

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I really hope there is a better way because that just sounds miserable TBH. Like having to enter in multiple addresses in multiple pieces of software just to be able to charge properly. Also wondering how the smaller screen nav will work with two competing navigations running

Really hoping that the ford nav works well enough
I should rephrase to say that Sunc Nav would be the only nav with a set destination to provide routing instructions. I’d simply have Waze up in CarPlay to alert me to road hazards/etc.