One Pedal Driving Question for going downhill

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Never understood why 1PD is seen as so efficient compared to coasting, given the inefficiencies in recapturing energy. I suppose if someone was using their brake pedal a lot without 1PD they were probably sticking on the accelerator too long to begin with.
Strong regen is more efficient on a Tesla because Tesla doesn't do blended braking.

All other brands do blended braking in their hybrid, PHEV, and EV. For those brands, efficiency may be the same with or without 1PD. It's also possible that efficiency may be slightly different due to slightly different maximum regen, and the different driving aggressiveness it encourages.

Some people like the 1PD driving style. That's their personal preference. And I don't see anything wrong with giving them that option.
Sponsored

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This morning, in central Ohio, the roads are very icy. It made me wonder how regen works on slippery roads? It seems to me, when you lift your foot off the pedal, the wheels would lock up, causing the car to slide. Am I correct, or do they have it setup like antilock brakes? Anyone with a BEV have experience with this?

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Strong regen is more efficient on a Tesla because Tesla doesn't do blended braking.

All other brands do blended braking in their hybrid, PHEV, and EV. For those brands, efficiency may be the same with or without 1PD. It's also possible that efficiency may be slightly different due to slightly different maximum regen, and the different driving aggressiveness it encourages.

Some people like the 1PD driving style. That's their personal preference. And I don't see anything wrong with giving them that option.
Yes, Tesla is less efficient because they don't have blended braking.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
This morning, in central Ohio, the roads are very icy. It made me wonder how regen works on slippery roads? It seems to me, when you lift your foot off the pedal, the wheels would lock up, causing the car to slide. Am I correct, or do they have it setup like antilock brakes? Anyone with a BEV have experience with this?
Some cars have anti-lock brakes that talk to the regen system so you won't skid on ice while using strong regen. Some don't, so you'll have to lower the regen to you better use all four tires for slowing the vehicle.

I used to downshift early in the snow to slide the rear end around. Good times.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
The Focus Electric had ABS that would kick in when it detected slipping but it was a bit slow to react during regen.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Some cars have anti-lock brakes that talk to the regen system so you won't skid on ice while using strong regen. Some don't, so you'll have to lower the regen to you better use all four tires for slowing the vehicle.

I used to downshift early in the snow to slide the rear end around. Good times.
Would regen be strong enough to potentially trigger the antilock brakes, my experience with antilock has been that it doesn’t come on unless it is truly an emergency type braking situation where you are absolutely slamming the brakes to the floor.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Would regen be strong enough to potentially trigger the antilock brakes, my experience with antilock has been that it doesn’t come on unless it is truly an emergency type braking situation where you are absolutely slamming the brakes to the floor.
Of course, you're in LA.

ABS kicks in all the time in winter here--our street has 1" of snow (soon to be 6" tonight) on it. I can get the ABS to kick in backing out of my driveway.

Reactions: ARK

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
The Bolt regenerative brakes in L. You are able to regulate it by altering/adjusting pressure on the pedal, therefor one pedal driving. The paddle is not required if you are in L. The paddle can be used in D, but L works best. The Bolt does not have a 1P on/off switch/button.
Under most conditions the regen. braking works fine to a complete stop and then hold. A noticeable decline will require standard brake application, otherwise brake braking is only for emergency stops. Brakes should last a long, long time.
Leaving the regen. on regenerates at all slow down speeds more than without it. You are able to see this in the Bolt under the Power side of the screen (kW and Regen).
Operating in L does not affect acceleration but does make maneuvering curves easier. Trial on my own was how I taught myself abilities of the Bolt.
Once accustomed to regen. you probably will use it always.
I am assuming that , when on, the 1P choice in the MME will work in D . I have yet to drive or ride one yet. The road show only permitted looking, sitting and button pushing. Trial usage will also turn us into MME experts quickly. We have the advantage of saving time via the information on the MachEforum.
Trust me, it's fun. Especially for my fellow retired old farts. Technology is a good thing, when used wisely. New and active learning helps keep us healthy, especially our less used brains. (You cannot get a nosocomial infection if you do not go there.) My experience with EVs is not to depend on the dealership for much assistance. Their knowledge is limited. I think this will hold true with the MME initially. Doing is a way of knowing I endorse.
ENJOY.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Also, if you charge to 100% you will not regenerate initially (nowhere to put the energy).
I recommend a 90% setting for everyday use. Then you regenerate right out of the gate. Much braking at start of trip.
That said, the MME does not permit 100% battery usage. We may not have to set it to90%. We will have to experiment with that as well.

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
Never understood why 1PD is seen as so efficient compared to coasting, given the inefficiencies in recapturing energy. I suppose if someone was using their brake pedal a lot without 1PD they were probably sticking on the accelerator too long to begin with.
i use it because it’s just easier.
Sponsored