Phone As Key - Does anyone's work consistently?

83girl

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE Premium
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
Hello fellow Mach-E owners. I'm wondering if anyone is finding that their Phone As a Key is working consistently. I've experienced it fail, like, often... maybe it works 1 out of 10 times. Most of the time, I'm entering my door key code, and back-up start passcode. I've learned not to depend on it and rarely go without the key fob these days. I'm using an iPhone Xs, latest IOS (16.1 -although it didn't work with any previous iOS version). I have the latest Mach E software updates, and latest FordPass app. Curious if anyone got it working to a point that they use it often. Or, if anyone has had similar problems and was able to fix them? Thanks in advance!

Red One.jpg
It works mostly...but when it doesn't, it is bad situation. Ford is giving out second key fobs for free now to builds between 2020 and mid 2021 (I think ours was a March 2021 build), and I am very happy to pick it up Monday. Obviously quite a lot of folks have issues with the PAAK if they had to break down and give the owners who originally received only one FOB a second one.

EasyPass

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4X, 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hello fellow Mach-E owners. I'm wondering if anyone is finding that their Phone As a Key is working consistently. I've experienced it fail, like, often... maybe it works 1 out of 10 times. Most of the time, I'm entering my door key code, and back-up start passcode. I've learned not to depend on it and rarely go without the key fob these days. I'm using an iPhone Xs, latest IOS (16.1 -although it didn't work with any previous iOS version). I have the latest Mach E software updates, and latest FordPass app. Curious if anyone got it working to a point that they use it often. Or, if anyone has had similar problems and was able to fix them? Thanks in advance!

Red One.jpg
Most drivers immediately blame or look for problems with the MME when it comes to PaaK reliability. I believe that the majority of the issue lies with the phone. Since I replaced my 6yo LG V20 with a Samsung S22+ a few months ago PaaK seems to always work, as opposed to when I was on the other device. I still rely on the fob for most substantial trips as I feel that phones are generally susceptible to many negative circumstances......battery life exceeded, accidental drop, constant system and app software updates, that a fob is not. That said, the requirement for PaaK to be enabled so that a Console-start-code and custom Door-lock-code can be programmed makes it a no-brainer whether to have it on the ready or not. For myself, carrying a fob is no burden, and the convenience of PaaK in "lightweight" scenarios is my normal operating mode.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I have rejected 3.5.3, and have no plans to accept further updates. Everything seems to be working fine right now, so I figure I should quit while I'm ahead.

Thanks for the warning.
I actually wish I’d done the same. I’m just along for the ride now unfortunately.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The last set of updates really messed things up for me. But there's more ...

I sent a bug report to the EA people detailing very specifically what had happened with both PAAK (3.5.3) and Carplay (3.5.4), what my settings were, and what I had actually seen and actually done. The answer I received back was rather disconcerting. They responded that there was nothing in any of the 3.5.x updates that had anything to do with PAAK or Carplay. This might be very technically true but that doesn't mean something they had in those updates isn't or can't interfere with either PAAK or CarPlay (I have no idea about the status of Android Auto). Their final comment was that PAAK and Carplay "issues will eventually be addressed." That doesn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling that any solution is forthcoming anytime soon or that they're even acknowledging there's an issue, at least regarding PAAK and CarPlay, in the 3.5.x series of updates. It appears that all they did was look at the issues I presented and respond with canned answers (Reboot sync for example) rather than looking at what I actually wrote. That will be the last bug report I'll submit to Ford.

In the meantime, I'm using the FOB and getting used to that after nearly 17 months of virtually flawless PAAK performance and dealing with a car that won't do Carplay 2/3 of the time.
too bad you can't roll back to a previous version like you would with regular software.
My only suggestion would be to completely delete FordPass from phone, delete all phones from MME, and start over as if it is new delivery to re-install, re-pair, and re-configure PAAK.

you've got nothing to lose since it is broken now ?!

I shut down auto-update the day after I got my car back from HVBJB replacement. I don't plan on allowing an update unless I have to....

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
too bad you can't roll back to a previous version like you would with regular software.
My only suggestion would be to completely delete FordPass from phone, delete all phones from MME, and start over as if it is new delivery to re-install, re-pair, and re-configure PAAK.

you've got nothing to lose since it is broken now ?!

I shut down auto-update the day after I got my car back from HVBJB replacement. I don't plan on allowing an update unless I have to....
Unfortunately, that’s the path I’ll likely take. And bail on EA. If they don’t want our input, or are just going to ignore it, I don’t think I want to be involved. I went to great lengths in my report to leave out opinion, guesses or analysis. I just have them the raw facts.

Last edited:

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
My car was at the dealership couple weeks ago to get the shifter reflashed. While it was there I got a power up update and the dealer did some updating as well.
Ever since then paak has been much much better. I’m not sure which update did it but they definitely messed with the signal strength requirements for Paak making it easier to meet the requirement to start the vehicle.
the biggest side affect is that walkway lock only works at twice the distance now, which means that it no longer locks when I walk inside the house.

bluetooth signals are horrible at inferring distance and paak by design needs to calculate the distance of your device to grant access. The only fix is to loosen up that restriction which is good and bad.

Tom L

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Red One.jpg
Just passed 10K miles and PAAK has consistently worked fine for me, but not always on my wife’s phone. She rarely drives the MME so it seems she has to re-activate on Ford Pass. We both have iPhone SE.

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium -> 2023 GTPE
Country flag
When you say PAAK doesn’t work for you, can you be more specific?

To me, there are two primary points of failure, and they are not always related. The first is the car waking up and auto-unlocking when you press the button on the door. The second is the car starting once you are in.

The latter issue is working reliably for me now. I rarely get “No Key Detected” messages or have to use my backup start code. It’s down to less than 1 in 20 startups.

As for the car waking up and unlocking, that’s still a pretty significant problem for me. I’d say around 1 in 5 approaches the car makes me wait several seconds / button pushes to unlock, and sometimes just doesn’t unlock period and I’ve got to use the door sill passcode.

I keep FordPass running in background on my iPhone 11 Pro. I think pulling the phone out of my pocket to wake it up may help a bit, but that should not be necessary.

It’s very difficult to diagnose the problem. Best I can tell, the car seems to know when I’ve got my arms full or I’ve got a companion with me, and that’s generally when it chooses to ignore my PAAK for maximum pain in the ass.
I echo this experience 100%. However I can additionally confirm that even pulling my phone out and opening FordPass (bringing it to the background from foreground, OR starting it from scratch) does not make the process much better. It takes a while for the app to go from “Bluetooth Disconnected” to load all the background assets and show “Bluetooth Connected.” Only then will it unlock.

Seems like Ford completely mis-architected the app. It’s supposed to be using Apple Carkey/Carkit so the system can control the PAAK without the app. They’ve clearly done some rudimentary implementation that relies on the app being in the foreground or running a scheduled wake up process every once in a while in the background.

SD Marc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE Premium
Occupation
Tech Marketing Exec.
Country flag
100% consistency. Have not used my key fob in 3 months. Once I got a “no key” warning and had to enter a password.

im really happy with it.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It’s supposed to be using Apple Carkey/Carkit so the system can control the PAAK without the app.
Supposed to? Apple Carkey didn’t exist when Ford developed their version of PaaK. And the first version of Carkey required NFC, so you would have to physically touch your phone to an NFC reader. That’s not better, IMO. Carkey with UWB will be the way to go, but not many cars are there yet. And when it is, how many people will complain that they have to get a new phone since their old phone doesn’t support UWB?

PaaK is far from perfect, but it’s pretty good considering the options Ford had available when it was developed. At least we can also use fobs if we don’t like it. Not all car brands can.

epec

First Name
Wensen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150, 2022 Ford MME
Country flag
i have used my select RWD for one week with 400 miles. the phone as key works perfectly. at beginning, I was a little scared to drive without a key, but it works everytime, so I am comfortable to keep the key at home. my understanding is , if the phone as key is not working, you can still drive the car with backup password, right ? I did not have chance to use that yet as phone works everytime

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
i have used my select RWD for one week with 400 miles. the phone as key works perfectly. at beginning, I was a little scared to drive without a key, but it works everytime, so I am comfortable to keep the key at home. my understanding is , if the phone as key is not working, you can still drive the car with backup password, right ? I did not have chance to use that yet as phone works everytime
make sure you set up your 'Backup Code'
make sure you know your door pillar unlock code
I'd suggest wrapping fob in foil and hiding it inside car for emergency/service/valet parking

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
my understanding is , if the phone as key is not working, you can still drive the car with backup password, right ? I
Yes, at least in theory. There have been many reports on the forum where their car failed to present the screen to input your backup start password. I’ve had that happen once. In my case I keep a fob in a farady bag hidden in the car. I just used it.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
For the most part, I have not had issues when I use it. However, I still carry the key fob 99% of the time. I use the phone when I "run to the car to get something" at work or at home, and I have the fob put away. Always gets me into the car, the car detects it and I can start the car.
Sponsored