bigredx86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach-E Premium STD AWD
Country flag
I don't think 20 miles is that bad. If you drive at 120mph(!) from the start of preconditioning all the way to the station, that's a solid 10 minutes of heating. Unless you're starting from single-digit weather (where driving @ 120mph would be ill-advised), that's a good amount of time to warm up the pack by 10-15 degrees. Realistically, it'd be about 15-20 minutes between the start of preconditioning until you're plugged in, so that's even better. It won't get the pack up to 80+ degrees, but then it's a balance between faster charge acceptance and burning through more energy that you'd have to put back into the pack anyway.
I think 20 miles makes sense as I believe thats about what Tesla does with theirs, or at least it seemed like it when I had one. Basically, any miles within 'X' radius it'd start preconditioning. If you were like a 100+ miles it wouldn't do anything right away.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I think 20 miles makes sense as I believe thats about what Tesla does with theirs, or at least it seemed like it when I had one. Basically, any miles within 'X' radius it'd start preconditioning. If you were like a 100+ miles it wouldn't do anything right away.
Teslas have a much bigger battery heater though. Theirs will output 4-7 kW en route, ours will only do about 2-3 kW while also using the cabin heat. Because our heater is 3x smaller we need to start 3x sooner than a Tesla to get a similar effect.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Teslas have a much bigger battery heater though. Theirs will output 4-7 kW en route, ours will only do about 2-3 kW while also using the cabin heat. Because our heater is 3x smaller we need to start 3x sooner than a Tesla to get a similar effect.
I keep forgetting people actually use heat šŸ¤£. I only set it to 60 only if it's single digits outside or if the windows start to fog šŸ˜. Pretty sure the MME heater is 6kW; to maintain 60 in the cabin, I believe it uses ~1kW, so I'm fine with it using just 5kW to heat the battery at worst.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I keep forgetting people actually use heat šŸ¤£. I only set it to 60 only if it's single digits outside or if the windows start to fog šŸ˜. Pretty sure the MME heater is 6kW; to maintain 60 in the cabin, I believe it uses ~1kW, so I'm fine with it using just 5kW to heat the battery at worst.
At 26Ā°F outside Iā€™m averaging about 3 kW of heater power with a 68Ā°F setting (see graph). The maximum heater output is 5-6 kW depending on return temperature. Thatā€™s how I got ~2.5 kW remaining for battery heating. Iā€™d be shocked if you could maintain 60Ā°F inside with only 1 kW in single digits.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Power-Up Software 4.1.3 pushed 30604BBA-0583-4F2D-B200-5E284395CCF3

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
At 26Ā°F outside Iā€™m averaging about 3 kW of heater power with a 68Ā°F setting (see graph). The maximum heater output is 5-6 kW depending on return temperature. Thatā€™s how I got ~2.5 kW remaining for battery heating. Iā€™d be shocked if you could maintain 60Ā°F inside with only 1 kW in single digits.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Power-Up Software 4.1.3 pushed 30604BBA-0583-4F2D-B200-5E284395CCF3
I guess I'll just have to take a winter vacation up north to test this out. For science!!

bigredx86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach-E Premium STD AWD
Country flag
Honestly, any preconditioning is better than zero. Hopefully there was some thought behind the 20mi radius. Like I said, I donā€™t remember what the Tesla range was, it may of been less because of the bigger heater. It was also summer as well so my observations could be skewed as well.

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I think we gotta get used to that being most people. I love this forum and I'll admit myself and everyone else on here is not normal šŸ˜‚
I'm normal, my mother had me tested. šŸ˜†

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I guess I'll just have to take a winter vacation up north to test this out. For science!!
Isn't the MME heater just like 5.5kw? In the announcement wasn't it mentioned "if there's unused capacity in the heater" or something like that?

Chapschaps

First Name
Oneil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select Fusion energi
Country flag
Iā€™ve been able to use my hotspot on my IPhone 14, but it took me two tries to get the car to connect.
O matter what I try it wonā€™t connect

Chapschaps

First Name
Oneil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select Fusion energi
Country flag
Gotta make sure you arenā€™t using wireless CarPlay, because that uses the Wi-Fi connection. Go to phone settings on the car and turn off wireless projection. Itā€™s not a Ford issue itā€™s just how wireless CarPlay works.
I did all that still would not connect

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
I see it actually making the YouTube feature much more valuable.

I am one of the people who can't seem to get his MME to connect to the iPhone hotspot.

The first time I was in a position where watching videos on the SYNC screen would have been a good time killer, the only wifi available required interacting with a captive portal. So I just killed time on my phone, a much smaller screen.

I thought the lack of captive portal support was intentional to try and force people to pay the $10 a month for Ford streaming. As a result it is surprising to me that captive portal support has been added.