Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's getting below freezing at night now here in Kentucky. I just looked thru my phone FordPass app... where would I find the "Preparing for Drive" tab? ..maybe 28 degrees is not cold enough yet to triggger it?

...or do I have to have a Departure Time set in order to see the "Preparing for Drive" notice?
Yes - set a departure time as the message indicates preconditioning is taking place.
Sponsored

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yes - set a departure time as the message indicates preconditioning is taking place.
...I learn something every day about this car :)

Womps

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E & 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Super
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My MME is garaged at 40 degrees. Should I still precondition when outside temperature is at 0 or colder?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
My MME is garaged at 40 degrees. Should I still precondition when outside temperature is at 0 or colder?
The optimum battery temperature is low 70s.

You should consider preconditioning when the outside temperature is cold, and you need the range. You mean 32F, not 0F, since you're in Canada. Yes, you should see how it makes a difference, and how much energy it uses vs. not setting a departure time, and then evaluate. If you need the range, you should absolutely consider it. 32F is only special for water...

Darauk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT PE, 2020 F-150, 2019 Altima
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I just looked thru my phone FordPass app... where would I find the "Preparing for Drive" tab?
In the FordPass app, tap vehicle, expand Charging, and tap Charge Settings. You can configure Departure Times there.

For what its worth, I have found Departure Times are more reliably set in the car. Tap the car icon, tap Settings, and select Charge. You can edit your charge times and depature times there.

I am still figuring all this out as well, so others on here may have better suggestions.

BuckBaker

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GT Cyber Orange, '86 Bronco, '83 280zx
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
The process of warming or cooling the battery takes place only when the car is plugged into a L2 or L3 (I think, not positive on L3) charging source. The car uses shore power to condition the battery. Thus, it takes mains power (aka "electricity") to warm or cool the battery to operating temperature. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©
So it will not precondition from L1? I am in a situation where I will be doing all my charging at my office where we have L2 charging available so I was hoping not to have to install a special outlet at home.

Darauk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT PE, 2020 F-150, 2019 Altima
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Also, Departure Times by default only work when the car is plugged into a charger. I think there is an option to tell the car to prep a departure time even when not charging, but I haven't tried that yet.

Also, I don't know whether and L2 charger is needed. I installed one because I only had a 110v outlet in the garage.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
So it will not precondition from L1? I am in a situation where I will be doing all my charging at my office where we have L2 charging available so I was hoping not to have to install a special outlet at home.
Everything I have read indicates L2 is needed. Someone more knowledgeable like @Mach-Lee ot @Gimme_my_MME please correct me if I am wrong. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
That depends on your goal. Unless I'm going on a road trip and need the maximum possible range, I don't set a departure time at all, regardless of the temperature. If it's very cold or hot, and I'd like the cabin to be more comfortable before I get in, I manually do a remote start 10 minutes before I leave. I think people worry too much about trying to do the absolute best thing to reduce battery degradation over 10 years. It just makes it more complicated to own an EV, and most people won't own the car that long anyway.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Correct. Level 1 doesn't supply enough power. The heater is 5kW. Level 1 can't even supply that.

Womps

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E & 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Super
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Okay, this I like. I was referring to -18 c outside or 0 F. I was thinking if I had to precondition battery at anything under 70 degrees that Would be 95% of our days! Majority of times Iā€™ll use the MME for 200 kms or less in a trip. Real cold, then I drive the ice vehicle.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Okay, this I like. I was referring to -18 c outside or 0 F. I was thinking if I had to precondition battery at anything under 70 degrees that Would be 95% of our days! Majority of times Iā€™ll use the MME for 200 kms or less in a trip. Real cold, then I drive the ice vehicle.
If kept in a heated garage preconditioning, in my opinion, will give you little benefit. Even at 40 F. If I parked outside I certainly would as it would take quite a bit of energy to heat up the batteries and shore power would be a better option than the HVB. Plus when driving there would be the balance between heating HVB and car interior.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The cabin will warm up, but I don't think the battery will be heated. The cabin warming will use some battery because L1 doesn't supply enough watts for the heater. So L1 works very similar to being unplugged.

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium -> 2023 GTPE
Country flag
So Iā€™ve noticed that whether in the summer or winter, whether remote starting or using departure times, my MachE will always start with about 1% less battery than itā€™s desired charge limit. This is while plugged in to a 40A L2 charger, which should be plenty I think to take care of heating/cooling while maintaining the set battery level.

Does anyone else have this issue where the MachE doesnā€™t maintain charge level when remote starting or preconditioning?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
So Iā€™ve noticed that whether in the summer or winter, whether remote starting or using departure times, my MachE will always start with about 1% less battery than itā€™s desired charge limit. This is while plugged in to a 40A L2 charger, which should be plenty I think to take care of heating/cooling while maintaining the set battery level.

Does anyone else have this issue where the MachE doesnā€™t maintain charge level when remote starting or preconditioning?
BMS creep from cell balancing, normal
Sponsored