TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
I guess that's why I haven't received this email - I have one charge already on my ChargePoint account.
This morning I received my "You haven't charged yet." email! Now I feel missed. ;)
Sponsored

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Quick thoughts on brand and type. I love my Clipper Creek Charging Station. I’ve had it for 3 years without a single issue. I elected to make use of a plug (vs hardwiring it) for 2 reasons: (1) if there was a need for warranty work on he Charging Station I can unplug and send it back without having to involve an electrician; and (2) I’m taking it with me if/when I move.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Not super exciting because I don’t have a charger yet but I managed to get a 100 amp panel installed in my garage from my main panel that’s in my basement and about 75 feet away. The actual exciting part? What would have cost me a couple thousand bucks ended up being completely free because of a favor for a friend. Now I need to shop for a charger.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Preparing for Mach-E charging at home - preparation and installing charger D49B1B3B-F005-472D-81D9-2BE07958CAF4

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
so now that I'm looking, I have a question. I wanted the 48Amp hardwired Juicebox, but I can't find them in stock anywhere. Is there something going on with that model? Discontinued? Revamping it? That I don't know about? Is the difference between a 40Amp and a 48Amp that big in charge time? I don't care about mobility, I'm not leaving this house anytime soon

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
so now that I'm looking, I have a question. I wanted the 48Amp hardwired Juicebox, but I can't find them in stock anywhere. Is there something going on with that model? Discontinued? Revamping it? That I don't know about? Is the difference between a 40Amp and a 48Amp that big in charge time? I don't care about mobility, I'm not leaving this house anytime soon
I went with the charge point home flex, It is a lot more compact and feels better built. I bought/returned the jukebox because it was just too bulky.

226ra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium (RWD)
Country flag
I went with the charge point home flex, It is a lot more compact and feels better built. I bought/returned the jukebox because it was just too bulky.
Same here. There was also a $300 rebate from my utility (Eversource MA) and $75 rebate plus free charging (up to 250 kWH per month) from my electric supplier (Clearview Energy).

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That’s good info, thanks. I definitely care about build quality

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
You'll be fine at 40A, and in fact you will be able to go plugin instead of hardwired. Having the plug means that if there's a problem with the EVSE you bought, you can easily switch to the portable charger that comes with the car while you await a replacement. It also means you won't need an electrician to do the swap, either.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
You'll be fine at 40A, and in fact you will be able to go plugin instead of hardwired. Having the plug means that if there's a problem with the EVSE you bought, you can easily switch to the portable charger that comes with the car while you await a replacement. It also means you won't need an electrician to do the swap, either.

You don't need an electrician to swap the hard wired charger either. The connection will be made in a junction box, you just need to cut the power and undo and redo the wire nuts. Same as changing a light fixture, outlet or switch in your house.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
You don't need an electrician to swap the hard wired charger either. The connection will be made in a junction box, you just need to cut the power and undo and redo the wire nuts. Same as changing a light fixture, outlet or switch in your house.
Not necessarily a junction box, but hardwiring directly to a charger is usually pretty simple anyway. For my Chargepoint Home Flex, there are just little levers that you close on the wires. Removing it or swapping it could be done in under a minute.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Is the difference between a 40Amp and a 48Amp that big in charge time?
Well, 40 / 48 = 83%, so 17% longer. It's pretty much a straight arithmetic calculation.

40A x 240V = 9.6 kW. If you plug in an ER MME at 20% SOC and charge it to 80%, that's 60% of the 88 kWh battery = 52.8 kW to fill. At 9.6 kW, that's still just 5.5 hours. Easy overnight with plenty of room to spare for most people even down to 32A.

(Might be 10-15% loss in the exchange, but even with that, plenty.)

Many of us went with the 40A Grizzl-E. Solid, basic, heavy cable, and just $400 before tax credit.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Well, 40 / 48 = 83%, so 17% longer. It's pretty much a straight arithmetic calculation.

40A x 240V = 9.6 kW. If you plug in an ER MME at 20% SOC and charge it to 80%, that's 60% of the 88 kWh battery = 52.8 kW to fill. At 9.6 kW, that's still just 5.5 hours. Easy overnight with plenty of room to spare for most people even down to 32A.

(Might be 10-15% loss in the exchange, but even with that, plenty.)

Many of us went with the 40A Grizzl-E. Solid, basic, heavy cable, and just $400 before tax credit.
That's what I went with and since most of my daily commutes will be small compared to the range of the car, I set the Grizzl-e to 32 A even though it supports 40 A to just put less stress and waste heat overall in the system.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's what I went with and since most of my daily commutes will be small compared to the range of the car, I set the Grizzl-e to 32 A even though it supports 40 A to just put less stress and waste heat overall in the system.
I'm considering that too. We rarely drive more than 50-100 miles a week (retired). I've just left the box at the 40A default for now, but I might crack it open and lower it to 32A (or even 24A) after getting the car. That's the only slight negative with the Grizzl-E - having to open the box to change the power level inside. Be nice if that were external. But it's no biggie. Most people would never change the setting anyway.

wareagle1440

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mini Countryman & 2021 Mach E Ex.R. AWD
Occupation
Civil Plaintiff's Attorney
Country flag
I think the 48 is brand new. I bought the 40 and the 48 wasn’t even an option when I was looking unless I completely missed it.
Sponsored