Installing my 240v, help me decide which at home charger!

moore8809

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 250 Super Duty
Country flag
Which charger do you like best? I'm having a 240 installed* I haven't had the time to do any research so I came to the experts!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bill S

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Prem ER eAWD, 18 Tesla M3, 64 Falcon Sprint
Country flag
Which charger do you like best? I haven't had the time to do any research so I came to the experts!
Your Ford mobile charger will give you quite a bit on a 50 Amp Nema 14-50 plug. Also the plug in versions of WallBox, ChargePOint are good. Look up Tom Moloughney on YouTube. He has all the info.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The best charger is the one built into your car. You just need to find an EVSE to power it. The unit that comes with your car works or many people. If you are interested in a permanent EVSE for your home then check with your utility company because sometimes they offer discounts for name brand units.

OP
OP

moore8809

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 250 Super Duty
Country flag
The best charger is the one built into your car. You just need to find an EVSE to power it. The unit that comes with your car works or many people. If you are interested in a permanent EVSE for your home then check with your utility company because sometimes they offer discounts for name brand units.
Unfortunately my power company doesn't offer any rebates :(

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I went with the Chargepoint Flex. Mostly because the prices for 48A hardwired systems are similar but our power utility offered a $250 discount. I know some people are getting the OpenEVSE. I almost went with it, but chickened out at the last minute because it's not UL listed and I didn't want to have to fight with my insurance company about it. The Chargepoint Flex has gone down in price since I bought it.

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have the Wallbox Pulsar Plus it's a smart charger which for the Mach-e is not really needed but I figured I will keep buying EV's so like having the ability to have it track usage and cost to charge and connected to my wifi. I get notifies when charging is done. Car does that as well but not always.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
First step make sure outlet is located appropriately. Chargers have approximately a 20 foot cable. Then check for utility rebates for any specific chargers as already mentioned. Then basically up to you as from what I have researched they all seem to work well. Some have more options than others.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Realistically they all do the same thing. First decide if you want a smart one or a dumb one. Then decide how robust you want it (outside/inside). Then decide how much power you want (40amp limit on a 14-50 plug). If you decide you want a smart one, look at the interface and see if that works for you.
If you want a simple, cheap, and reliable dumb unit that can stay outside with zero worry. Look at Grizl-e.
that’s the one I went with because I didn’t care about changing power limits on the fly, energy tracking, or redundant scheduling. They do have a smart version but you have to use 3rd party apps to communicate with it I believe, not sure.

PA Bob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD SB
Country flag
I bought the Juicebox. It was highly rated, nicely priced, and it’s a smart charger. My power company offers a rebate for Juicebox. Also Consider how portable the charger is if you’re using the plug-in version. When I go to my father-in-law‘s house, he only has a 30 amp circuit. I will have to bring my Juicebox with me when I visit him because I can dial down the amperage I draw on the 30a circuit down to 24a.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Which charger do you like best? I'm having a 240 installed* I haven't had the time to do any research so I came to the experts!
If the 240 installation is happening in the next few days, you need to spend some time doing research. Why? Because the charger you get determines whether you need an outlet, or hard wired, setup. It also impacts the size of the breaker, and thus the size of the wire, you need to have installed. "Having a 240 installed" isn't specific enough for the electrician.

There are many posts on here you could read through to see this discussed and see various options.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I had an electrician install a Nema 14-50 outlet in the garage and am using the Ford supplied charger that came with the car. It works just fine and even if I pull into the garage at 10 PM with a 20% charge the car is back up to 80% by 4 or 5 AM the next morning.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Installing my 240v, help me decide which at home charger! fill u

devildog125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E AWD, '22 Hyundai Tucson SEL AWD
Occupation
Law Enforcement Software Engineer
Country flag
I’m using the EVSE that came with the car. I see no use in buying one. I say this bc unless your using 90% of your battery everyday and can only charge for a short time, your included one will work just fine.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
I am going to buy the Grizzl-E Smart EVSE. I liked the quality of the product, ability to get a 5 year warranty, built in Canada (got to support our neighbors to the north), and great customer service. I called them twice now to get some additional information and it was a pleasant conversation. They even went out to their shop to give me some exact dimension. What pushed me to it instead of the JuiceBox was they work with OCPP 1.6 app, so you can chose what software you want to use to monitor the charge. Oh, did I forget to say you can get it in camo. They have white and black too. Finally, you can adjust the amperage rate, if you have less than a 50 amp supply.

Your priorities may be different then mine. They are not the least expensive but I am willing to pay for the quality and features.

I would look at Tom Molughney's YouTube videos to help guide your decision. Buy what you feel is right for you situation. All the EVSE's have some minor faults.
Sponsored