Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Ah, yeah, that rings a bell.
When connected to Level 2 at home....
Our C-Max Energi replenishes about 10 miles of range per hour. The Focus Electric replenishes about 23-24 miles of range per hour.

As best as I can tell.....the MME on that same EVSE will replenish about 21 miles of range per hour so it is only slightly more efficient than the C-Max for the same size. Taking into account the FFE has a charger that is twice that of the Energi. I am hoping the actual figures I see will be closer to my Focus Electric but I guess we will see what happens.

The on board charger in the MME is even larger than the FFE but I dont think my EVSE will be able to provide any more than 32 amps so that will be the limiting factor for me.

If I get the Ford Connected EVSE and hard wire it to my panel then that will be a different story...
Sponsored

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
For the tax credit cited earlier, I had my 240V NEMA 14-50 outlet installed this week for $1100 and put in the Chargepoint Home Flex unit this afternoon. I thought about the 48A Ford Connected charger, but the hardwire option wasn't ideal in my older home. On another note, given the amount I'm driving now with COVID, I didn't think the nominally faster charge was worth the extra expense of the Ford charger. I found the charger on Amazon for $525 with a discount for a warehouse returned unit. It was still wrapped up in all the factory packaging and like new. I'm ready for my MME!

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Sounds about right. I think the Energi models have a 3.3kw charger on board.
My Cmax also has the basic 3.3kW on-board charger. The scanguage hardware shows it is using 9-9.3 amps while charging on a 240V 14-50 outlet. and not anywhere near 18 amps. On a 120V wall outlet it uses 3-3.3 amps.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
On another note, given the amount I'm driving now with COVID, I didn't think the nominally faster charge was worth the extra expense of the Ford charger.
Even with high daily usage, a 48A charger (like the Ford Wall Charger) is usually gonna be overkill. Someone would need to be in a pretty unusual circumstance to need to charge that fast overnight at home.

48A @ 240v = 11.5 kW. Someone that runs the Mach-e ER battery all the way down to 10% and wants 100% by morning needs 79.2 kWh. At 11.5 kW, that's only 6.8 hours. On my 40A Grizzl-E it's 8.2 hours. On a 32A charger like the Ford Mobile Charger that comes with the vehicle, it's 10.3 hours. All plenty fast enough for a 90% recharge on most people's typical overnight time. (And most will be recharging before it drops to 10%, and maybe only up to 80% or 90% most recharges.)

x petro

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired Ford Engineer
Country flag
I had a 14-50 outlet installed a month ago and total cost to install was under $250. It was inexpensive because the distribution box is in the garage and the outlet was mounted within 6 ft of the box. I used 6 gauge copper, capable to supply a 60 Amp Level 2 charging system but fused the circuit now for 40 Amp to use the included Ford Mobil Charger. I anticipate this will be completely adequate for my needs but if not, I'll buy a Level 2 system and change the breaker.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Even with high daily usage, a 48A charger (like the Ford Wall Charger) is usually gonna be overkill. Someone would need to be in a pretty unusual circumstance to need to charge that fast overnight at home.

48A @ 240v = 11.5 kW. Someone that runs the Mach-e ER battery all the way down to 10% and wants 100% by morning needs 79.2 kWh. At 11.5 kW, that's only 6.8 hours. On my 40A Grizzl-E it's 8.2 hours. On a 32A charger like the Ford Mobile Charger that comes with the vehicle, it's 10.3 hours. All plenty fast enough for a 90% recharge on most people's typical overnight time. (And most will be recharging before it drops to 10%, and maybe only up to 80% or 90% most recharges.)
The Ford Connected Wall unit might be a good choice for someone who leaves early for work yet wants to charge off peak to maximize the benefits of their rate plan.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
The Ford Connected Wall unit might be a good choice for someone who leaves early for work yet wants to charge off peak to maximize the benefits of their rate plan.
They would either have to have a really long commute or be a door to door salesperson putting tons of miles on the car every day to need that.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
True, there are some atypical situations where someone might have a short overnight window to charge. Although even then, unless they have a really long daily commute, 32A should still be fine for most on a half-night too.

Someone that puts on 100 miles per day (a pretty hefty commute) should use no more than maybe 35 kWh/day. On a 32A charger that's less than 5 hours. Most TOD pricing should accommodate that, unless someone is working midnight shift or something.

There's always exceptions, of course. And some may want the ability to skip a night and do a 90% charge in 5 hours or something.

32A would have been more than fine for my needs, although the Grizzl-E does 40A and has a cheaper price ($419) than most 32A chargers so I went with that.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Agreed. A 32 amp L2 is going to be more than adequate for the majority of us. In our case, the MME will be our 2nd BEV when it arrives and we will share the EVSE. My wife works for UPS so her start time varies. Tomorrow she goes in at 3 am. I leave for the office around 7 am. I think our off peak hours are midnight to 5 am.

We will leave her car plugged in when going to bed and it will begin charging at midnight and condition her car for the set Go Time. She then moves the plug to my car when she heads off to work. In that scenario.....2 hours isnt enough to top off my battery.

However, I also have L2 at work. So my wife and I decided to stick with our existing 32 amp EVSE and see how we do. If it becomes inconvenient then we might get the higher power feed EVSE. Not really all that concerned but just thinking out loud.

Newbie EV owners should be advised that the FFE gives priority to Go Times in the charging schedule and will override the scheduled charging start time if necessary. I presume the MME will have a similar strategy with some improved features of course. :)

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Agreed. A 32 amp L2 is going to be more than adequate for the majority of us. In our case, the MME will be our 2nd BEV when it arrives and we will share the EVSE. My wife works for UPS so her start time varies. Tomorrow she goes in at 3 am. I leave for the office around 7 am. I think our off peak hours are midnight to 5 am.

We will leave her car plugged in when going to bed and it will begin charging at midnight and condition her car for the set Go Time. She then moves the plug to my car when she heads off to work. In that scenario.....2 hours isnt enough to top off my battery.

However, I also have L2 at work. So my wife and I decided to stick with our existing 32 amp EVSE and see how we do. If it becomes inconvenient then we might get the higher power feed EVSE. Not really all that concerned but just thinking out loud.

Newbie EV owners should be advised that the FFE gives priority to Go Times in the charging schedule and will override the scheduled charging start time if necessary. I presume the MME will have a similar strategy with some improved features of course. :)
Last year, I upgraded to a 50 amp 14-50 outlet. Who knows what one can do in 10 years.

OP
OP
Dafstang

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium E AWD/ / 2017 Mercedes GLE-43
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
For the tax credit cited earlier, I had my 240V NEMA 14-50 outlet installed this week for $1100 and put in the Chargepoint Home Flex unit this afternoon. I thought about the 48A Ford Connected charger, but the hardwire option wasn't ideal in my older home. On another note, given the amount I'm driving now with COVID, I didn't think the nominally faster charge was worth the extra expense of the Ford charger. I found the charger on Amazon for $525 with a discount for a warehouse returned unit. It was still wrapped up in all the factory packaging and like new. I'm ready for my MME!
How do you know the ford connected charger is going to be hardwired. I thought if I just install the plug then when I get the charger box I just plug it in.

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
How do you know the ford connected charger is going to be hardwired. I thought if I just install the plug then when I get the charger box I just plug it in.
I think because of the max charging capacity with the amps it has to be hard wired using the larger gauge wiring

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I think because of the max charging capacity with the amps it has to be hard wired using the larger gauge wiring
Why can't a 14-60 work? That's how the OpenEVSE unit does it.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's also been stated by Ford. But as a general rule, anything above 40A (50A circuit) is usually hardwired rather than uses a plug.

Ford Mustang Mach-E installing 240V Plug cq5dam.web.881.495
Sponsored

Last edited: