rohankumar

First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I took THHN to mean single wires because that’s what you pull through conduit. I guess I should have read the top part. A 6-3 THHN complete cable makes no sense for conduit.
Are you saying it's overkill for this purpose?

Another electrician stated that they typically don't install GFCI breaker for EV chargers since they keep tripping. Anyone have any insight or experience? I would think them tripping is a sign of the circuit being overloaded if not spec'ed correctly, so the trip out offers protection.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I know that many EV chargers have GFCI protection built-in, and when you put a GFCI protected device on a GFCI protected circuit you can have issues. There's also a difference, at least in my mind, with installing a hardwired charger vs. a plug.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag

Another electrician stated that they typically don't install GFCI breaker for EV chargers since they keep tripping. Anyone have any insight or experience? I would think them tripping is a sign of the circuit being overloaded if not spec'ed correctly, so the trip out offers protection.
It's easier to pull 4 thinner cables thru a conduit rather than 1 very thick cable. Maybe you have a really large conduit or he can get the 6-3 THHN at a lower price.

The other electrician is right about not having a GFCI since it's redundant and will cause a nuisance.

Did you get any more quotes?

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag

It would be a tight fit in that conduit (assuming it’s a 3/4” could be 1” though) and not needed. Pulling 4individual wires would be easier and the preferred method if the conduit goes the full length.
GFCI doesn’t trip on an overload. It trips on ground faults. Hardwire EVSE does not need a GFCI. Outdoor outlets MAY require a GFCI if your area recognizes the new code updates.
Some newer EVSE do no trip GFCIs but verify with the manufacturer. My Grizzl-e classic is fully compatible with a GFCI breaker.

rohankumar

First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I don't have any other itemized quotes. Ppl are just throwing around numbers which are all over the place. So far the labor costs are all over the place and also the pricing / ft to run the cable over a 25' length varies from $300-700.

I am not sure I want to go in for a hardwire because I have heard of too many issues with EV chargers on this forum. If I have issues at any time I will have the plug available to put in the Ford provided cable for a fast charge just in case.

machdady

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE Ice Blue
Country flag
having my chargepoint flex home installed as we speak. i saw that it was rated NEMA 3R (i knew it was rated outdoors), but now see the juicebox is rated NEMA 4, which is better rated for outdoor use. any concerns with a charepoint home flex for outdoor use? do i need NEMA 4 rated - kinda late to make a change and wondering if should be worried

CarDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER Premium 2022
Country flag
Im down the home charging rabbit hole now. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Im down to the Grizzl-E (smart), Jucebox 40, and Emporia EV 48.

I have a Nema 14-50 installed and I have been using the Ford mobile charger since I got the car, but all of the reports of it failing in a year makes me want to be proactive and buy a longer-term solution.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag

I have a Nema 14-50 installed and I have been using the Ford mobile charger since I got the car, but all of the reports of it failing in a year makes me want to be proactive and buy a longer-term solution.
There have been reported failures on both Grizzl-E and Juicebox, but none on Emporia yet. (Not a fair comparison since there are only 5 of us on this forum).

CarDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER Premium 2022
Country flag
There have been reported failures on both Grizzl-E and Juicebox, but none on Emporia yet. (Not a fair comparison since there are only 5 of us on this forum).
Honestly, I love the look of the Grizzle-E. Its smart features sound undeveloped compared to the Juicebox and Emporia.

*sigh* its about function however... not fashion....

BGEJr

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mache GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Purchased our Mache a year ago. Ford EVSE just started throwing the ”amber” overheat light. Dealer replaced under warranty, so on same plan as you… buying a high reliability charger for regular home use. To take advantage of utility incentives, has to be JuiceBox or ChargePoint HomeFlex wifi capable unit. What unit did you ultimately purchase?

CarDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER Premium 2022
Country flag
Purchased our Mache a year ago. Ford EVSE just started throwing the ”amber” overheat light. Dealer replaced under warranty, so on same plan as you… buying a high reliability charger for regular home use. To take advantage of utility incentives, has to be JuiceBox or ChargePoint HomeFlex wifi capable unit. What unit did you ultimately purchase?
I ultimately got the Grizzle-E "dumb" charger. It was on sale and a Open-Box, so I got nearly $200 off the charger. It has been great, no issues at all. I use my mobile charger when I visit family members or go hiking now. Its worked out a lot better, it was not designed for consistent use.
Sponsored