Purchasing and Programming another FOB

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
Just called Car and Truck Remotes...I was told the fob listed for the 2020 Mustang would not work on the MME, despite having the same FCC ID. The rep also told me that all of their MME keys were pulled for reasons he didn't understand and that they had previously been selling every one in stock that they had. Also, I can't find the fob on the Fords parts website--either I'm really bad at search or it doesn't exist.

I'm a week or two (I hope) from delivery so I suspect that for now I'll just throw my lot in with the "PAAK works" crowd and see how I do. That said, I think I'm ore of a two fob kind of guy...
Sponsored

fmtexmme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Just called Car and Truck Remotes...I was told the fob listed for the 2020 Mustang would not work on the MME, despite having the same FCC ID. The rep also told me that all of their MME keys were pulled for reasons he didn't understand and that they had previously been selling every one in stock that they had. Also, I can't find the fob on the Fords parts website--either I'm really bad at search or it doesn't exist.

I'm a week or two (I hope) from delivery so I suspect that for now I'll just throw my lot in with the "PAAK works" crowd and see how I do. That said, I think I'm ore of a two fob kind of guy...
I bought the remote for the 2020 Mustang from Car and Trunk Remotes and had it programmed at my local Ford dealer. It works fine on my MME.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I bought the remote for the 2020 Mustang from Car and Trunk Remotes and had it programmed at my local Ford dealer. It works fine on my MME.
Thanks for confirming, I figured it would. The same remote is used for many models, there is nothing unique about the MME.

SteveJo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Job 1 Mach-e/X
Country flag
There is some issue because this is the response I received from Car & Truck about my, as yet unprogrammed, 2020 Mustang remote compatibility:

"Unfortunately, they are not the same.
There is something different about the chip in the key.
We did have the 2021 Mach-e fobs for a while, and they sold out like hot cakes... hope we will have them back in soon.
Please follow the link below to initiate your return: ..." ?‍♂

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Grey Premium AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
There is some issue because this is the response I received from Car & Truck about my, as yet unprogrammed, 2020 Mustang remote compatibility:

We did have the 2021 Mach-e fobs for a while, and they sold out like hot cakes... hope we will have them back in soon.
I just got off of the phone with Car and Truck remotes and they said the same thing. I had my car at the dealership last weekend for the software update and they said they programmed the FOB from Car and Truck remotes (not the MME one but the standard mustang one from the previous posts) and it was working when they tried it. However, it did not work for me. It was their first ever MME they have worked on so they want me to bring it back so they can try again, then I should have a good answer on this. Car and truck also offered a return, which was nice to see good customer service.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag

On the key I got and worked had this sticker on the back.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Purchasing and Programming another FOB tempImageaWE6Jb

Last edited:

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Looking around and knowing what others got programed including myself, there is not a special MME FOB, but I am going to leave it at that.

Works for 57 vehicles

Type: SMART KEY PROXIMITY REMOTEColor: Black
Other Part Number: P/N: 164-R8159Manufacturer Part Number: FCC ID: M3N-A2C931423
Interchange Part Number: TRATTEC# 5929510Brand: FORD

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
There is not a special fob. I bought mine off Ebay, listed for the Mustang 2018-2020, no mention of Mach-E, made sure the FCC-ID matched and dealer programmed both for me for $50 a pop. Took 5 minutes.

One dealer told me $220 for a special Mustang Mach-E keyfob. Obviously I did not go to him.

Edit : Image of tag, slightly different from the one machedfan reported.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Purchasing and Programming another FOB 1625246558886

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Having spent a good part of my professional life as a compliance engineer, I would generally caution against relying on the FCC ID as the indicator of an item’s compatibility. When we qualified products, we would qualify product families and apply the same ID across the whole family. If there was a significant enough change in a model
Within the family, we would re-qualify but still use the same ID number.

That said, according to the post by @machefan the one part works on many models, including the Mach-E. This makes sense since it would be dumb for Ford to have to have different keys for different models. Munro would be proud of this, using the same part for many vehicles.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
There is not a special fob. I bought mine off Ebay, listed for the Mustang 2018-2020, no mention of Mach-E, made sure the FCC-ID matched and dealer programmed both for me for $50 a pop. Took 5 minutes.

One dealer told me $220 for a special Mustang Mach-E keyfob. Obviously I did not go to him.

I think the last two letters are different layouts or model Fords. The "FA" is the exact match but as many are finding there are a few that will work from different models.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Having spent a good part of my professional life as a compliance engineer, I would generally caution against relying on the FCC ID as the indicator of an item’s compatibility. When we qualified products, we would qualify product families and apply the same ID across the whole family. If there was a significant enough change in a model
Within the family, we would re-qualify but still use the same ID number.

That said, according to the post by @machefan the one part works on many models, including the Mach-E. This makes sense since it would be dumb for Ford to have to have different keys for different models. Munro would be proud of this, using the same part for many vehicles.
I agree with you and I can only speak from my own experience in this case. I personally bought the model that appears to work for 57 Ford models and it worked fine. Fullerton Ford (NJ) charges $75 to program it in case there are any NJ folks looking for a second one.

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Grey Premium AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I agree with you and I can only speak from my own experience in this case. I personally bought the model that appears to work for 57 Ford models and it worked fine. Fullerton Ford (NJ) charges $75 to program it in case there are any NJ folks looking for a second one.
I can confirm that the one from your link works, which is the same one that carandtruckremotes was saying wasn't working. I just called them and explained that I had no issues but I'll update them if anything doesn't work. The only different is the trunk button picture being a car trunk and not SUV rear door.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag

Five minutes? Crazy that one dealer would take 4 hours lol

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I can confirm that the one from your link works, which is the same one that carandtruckremotes was saying wasn't working. I just called them and explained that I had no issues but I'll update them if anything doesn't work. The only different is the trunk button picture being a car trunk and not SUV rear door.
I guess that’s the difference, the silk screen of SUV hatch vs. the trunk lid.
Sponsored