Range concern

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I'm not familiar with what "e-heat" refers to.
If you turn off e-heat, the resistive heater won’t turn on, so you’ll only get whatever heat can be scavenged from the motors, etc. That may be enough in some cases, but we don’t really know yet.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Electric Heater. Basically pulls heat from the batteries. It says it drains the battery more with it turned on but not sure if it is better to turn off after the car is heated up or not. These are all of the little things that could add up to a lot
So, e-Heat is simply the cabin heater? Yeah, I can't imagine turning that off when it's very cold outside. I know some hardcore drivers try to get by with just heated seats and steering wheel, but that won't be me. If I can't drive it without cabin heat when it's cold outside, I'll drive my Escape instead.

Maybe if it's 60F outside, but no way when it's much colder than that.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you turn off e-heat, the resistive heater won’t turn on, so you’ll only get whatever heat can be scavenged from the motors, etc. That may be enough in some cases, but we don’t really know yet.
So it's automatically supposed to pull some heat from the motor coolant (just like ICE)? That might help some. Although as you say, how much is the question.

Be curious to try some tests for how not cold it needs to be outside for that to keep the cabin around 70F.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
So it's automatically supposed to pull some heat from the motor coolant (just like ICE)? That might help some.
Correct. It has valves that allow it to share heating/cooling loops with the drive train components, which is how they can scavenge some of that heat without a heat pump. But in winter, I doubt it will do much. During the shoulder seasons though, it might be just enough to take the chill out of the air without having to fire up the thirsty resistive element. It will also be nice to be able to blow air at the windshield when it's fogged up from moisture without having to find the correct temperature setting that prevents the heat from kicking on. I play those games all the time in my Outlander PHEV, so I'm looking forward to that feature.

Jim Glass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2019 Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have ordered the Mustang Mach Epremium extended range build date February 14, 2021. Before I commit I am going to have extensive look at the customer reviews. So many pictures and videos online I have seen, many real world pictures from dealers websites , cars.com , CarGurus.com , I have hardly seen more than 200 mile range . the last image I saw from the car gurus.com with one mach e available in Kansas shows The range 198 miles at 95% charge. I understand this is different from trim but I have not seen any real world picture on the dashboard showing 250+ mile or 310 mile on EXTENDED RANGE VERSION . I am very skeptical about the purchase. There is always the MANY factors that affect the range.

how much less percentage of range will you accept then promised for 270 or 310 mile range versions?

Any input on acceptable Range variations?
I watched CarGurus today and the guy didn’t know he was driving a 4x. He said standard battery, wrong H
As for range and chargers, you can go the Mach E site scroll down til you see below and plan trips seeing where a variety of chargers are.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Range concern 89581E7E-0250-46B2-AB04-ECB052F66DA8

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I got a write up coming for range. people are way overthinking it.
Yep, over thinking range and range anxiety are for people who haven’t driven a BEV before. If you have to figure out stuff because that’s the way you think, focus on the timing and lifestyle of BEV ownership.

Reactions: DBC

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I got a write up coming for range. people are way overthinking it.
Yep, over thinking range and range anxiety are for people who haven’t driven a BEV before. If you have to figure out stuff because that’s the way you think, focus on the timing and lifestyle of BEV ownership.
Yup: The Focus Electric forums were filled with similar things: "I woke up this morning and my FFE was only showing 30 miles of range!? Is there something wrong with my battery?"

Here is a post I made on it back in 2013 about the guess o meter:
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/2013/10/12/the-guess-o-meter/

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
It's unfortunate that not all BEV's use a GOM. I'll always prefer the car's best guess and battery percentage or a Tesla-style EPA range x percentage remaining. The reaction of some reviewers saying Ford should hide or not show the real world range front and center is upsetting. I look forward to knowing zero means ZERO in the MME.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
It's unfortunate that not all BEV's use a GOM. I'll always prefer the car's best guess and battery percentage or a Tesla-style EPA range x percentage remaining. The reaction of some reviewers saying Ford should hide or not show the real world range front and center is upsetting. I look forward to knowing zero means ZERO in the MME.
Its been my experience in the two BEV's I've had (Focus Electric and Bolt) that as you get closer to zero the GOM gets better/more accurate.

JohnSernyk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford CMax Energi
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
We live just north of Indianapolis IN. We received our Mach E First Edition (AWD, higher capacity battery) on January 27. It has been very cold here since we received our Mach E. When the battery is fully charged it shows a range of about 170 to 180 miles. The colder temperatures most certainly have a significant impact on the range. I think two factors, somewhat lower capacity of the batteries at the lower temperatures and the use of battery to heat the vehicle.

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
If you tried to use that adapter, you would pull 32 amps and trip the 30 amp breaker.
Unless you are able to limit the charging current with a setting in the car to 24A. I have no idea if that's possible in the MME???

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
We live just north of Indianapolis IN. We received our Mach E First Edition (AWD, higher capacity battery) on January 27. It has been very cold here since we received our Mach E. When the battery is fully charged it shows a range of about 170 to 180 miles. The colder temperatures most certainly have a significant impact on the range. I think two factors, somewhat lower capacity of the batteries at the lower temperatures and the use of battery to heat the vehicle.
Thanks for letting us know what the estimated range is at those cold temperatures! In Washington, it's not below 30 for that many days a year.

My BIG question is... What is the actual range at those temperatures? And how "conservative" is the Mach-E? I love that the car knows it's cold, does it think I'm running the heater on FULL or just chilling with the seat warmers on? And how much is my GOM affected by fellow hot-rodding MME drivers/test drivers?

Can someone do a cold-weather range test with just general driving to see how the actual and estimated range compare? I'm thinking the car expects me to be doing 0-60 starts all the way to work, with the heat on Hi!

OP
OP

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Most reviewers so far I have read are from new owners from northern states. I would like to see the range reviews from southern states and see if it comes to near promised range .
Sponsored