Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I would recommend looking into a Deminished value claim if it is allowed in your state.
Someone else suggested that. I looked and it looks like Colorado allows this. I think it will definitely be worth pursuing.
Sponsored

Sobeer

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FE MME
Country flag
Definitely get a lawyer. Make sure that their 33% contingency doesn't latch onto your medical bills as well. I had a lawyer do that to me once. Both of you should get some compensation for soft tissue injuries. I doubt the fact that the driver didn't have a real drivers license will make a difference as the company insured their vehicle and were responsible for who they allow to drive it.
Also your brand new car will now have an accident on its permeant record. Which will bring down the resell value. I believe that the person at fault needs to also pay for that.

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
Also your brand new car will now have an accident on its permeant record. Which will bring down the resell value. I believe that the person at fault needs to also pay for that.
Absolutely. Person at faults Insurance has to pay for diminished value when the accident is not your fault.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
So we're OK but just really bummed.

Yesterday, @Liv and I were on our way to an EV meetup. I couldn't wait to show off the Mach-E to a few other EV fans. There were about 22 EVs registered to show up including a lot of Teslas, a couple of Jaguar i-Paces, etc. Traffic was heavy in all lanes of I-25 in Denver -- probably 35mph at the most with some stop and go. My exit was coming up so I moved over to the exit lane. The car in front was moving but then came to a complete stop.

I think this guy was trying to cut off the guy behind me and just didn't even brake. He slams right into the back of the Mach-E. It shoved me forward. My foot was on the accelerator because of one pedal driving (hadn't thought about that before). Luckily, I reacted quickly and hit the brakes. I thought I was going to hit the car in front of me and barely missed them. I looked up in my mirror to see who hit me. At about the same time, Liv an I both realized he was going to run.

He zipped past me and there was a big opening so I started to go after him. I saw his license plate immediately and began repeating it in my head. Liv was already calling 911. Of course, when she told them we were trying to catch up to the guy they told us to stop. I knew it was a company van so I wanted to get that info as well.

Up ahead of us about 500 yards, we see the van and there is a guy in a SUV right next to them. The van slowly starts to move over to the shoulder of the road. The SUV guy stops and sorta blocks him. The 911 operator is telling us to just stop and don't approach. We do, and we are about a hundred yards in front of them.

But then the SUV and the van move their cars right behind us. The SUV driver comes over to tell us he saw the whole thing. He said he caught up to the guy and started taking pictures of him and yelling at him to pull over.

The van driver came over and gives me his insurance info and asks if we called the cops. I told, "Yeah dude, you ran." He apologizes a few times. I tell him, "Shit happens, but you don't run." He says he called his brother and he is coming. I'm thinking, why do I care.

It is taking forever for the cops to show up. The guy's brother (and a woman) shows up - doesn't say anything at all to me and just talks to the guy. Liv actually calls 911 again and says, "we're on the side of the freeway, this guy already tried to run, and now he has people showing up. What's taking so long?"

Finally the cop does show up. This is the least dramatic part of the whole thing. He gets photos of my docs and asks what happened. He's says, "let me just get his info for you." Liv tells him we have the info of the witness and we we actually had the dash cam on at the time. The cop says I don't need any of that. It's pretty obvious what happened.

He gets the other dude's info for me, gives me my case info, and says hope you have a better rest of your day.

So TL;DR... We didn't go to the EV meetup after all.

Tomorrow we'll try to get an estimate for the cost and timeline for repairs. I imagine it is going to take a while. It sucks because we had lots of stuff (and lots of videos planned).

PXL_20210403_195326529.MP.jpg

We did a livestream on our channel earlier today and talked about it and some of our plans for the channel since we are screwed without a Mach-E.

Glad to know you're both ok.

I know it's a bummer, but this could have gone much worse if the guy had a gun.

Maybe don't chase next time, it's just not worth it.

You'll be back "in the saddle" soon and we'll be looking forward to you once again sharing your EV journey with us.

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag

You'll be back "in the saddle" soon and we'll be looking forward to you once again sharing your EV journey with us.
You're absolutely right. I wanted to just get close enough to see the company name. But even that was a bit stupid. I didn't want him to drive recklessly just to "get away" from me. And I should have just stayed in place to evaluate our condition and the car's condition. Looking at my dash cam footage, I feel like I did it pretty safely, but with adrenaline it wasn't the wisest choice.

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag

Yesterday, @Liv and I were on our way to an EV meetup. I couldn't wait to show off the Mach-E to a few other EV fans. There were about 22 EVs registered to show up including a lot of Teslas, a couple of Jaguar i-Paces, etc. Traffic was heavy in all lanes of I-25 in Denver -- probably 35mph at the most with some stop and go. My exit was coming up so I moved over to the exit lane. The car in front was moving but then came to a complete stop.

I think this guy was trying to cut off the guy behind me and just didn't even brake. He slams right into the back of the Mach-E. It shoved me forward. My foot was on the accelerator because of one pedal driving (hadn't thought about that before). Luckily, I reacted quickly and hit the brakes. I thought I was going to hit the car in front of me and barely missed them. I looked up in my mirror to see who hit me. At about the same time, Liv an I both realized he was going to run.

He zipped past me and there was a big opening so I started to go after him. I saw his license plate immediately and began repeating it in my head. Liv was already calling 911. Of course, when she told them we were trying to catch up to the guy they told us to stop. I knew it was a company van so I wanted to get that info as well.

Up ahead of us about 500 yards, we see the van and there is a guy in a SUV right next to them. The van slowly starts to move over to the shoulder of the road. The SUV guy stops and sorta blocks him. The 911 operator is telling us to just stop and don't approach. We do, and we are about a hundred yards in front of them.

But then the SUV and the van move their cars right behind us. The SUV driver comes over to tell us he saw the whole thing. He said he caught up to the guy and started taking pictures of him and yelling at him to pull over.

The van driver came over and gives me his insurance info and asks if we called the cops. I told, "Yeah dude, you ran." He apologizes a few times. I tell him, "Shit happens, but you don't run." He says he called his brother and he is coming. I'm thinking, why do I care.

It is taking forever for the cops to show up. The guy's brother (and a woman) shows up - doesn't say anything at all to me and just talks to the guy. Liv actually calls 911 again and says, "we're on the side of the freeway, this guy already tried to run, and now he has people showing up. What's taking so long?"

Finally the cop does show up. This is the least dramatic part of the whole thing. He gets photos of my docs and asks what happened. He's says, "let me just get his info for you." Liv tells him we have the info of the witness and we we actually had the dash cam on at the time. The cop says I don't need any of that. It's pretty obvious what happened.

He gets the other dude's info for me, gives me my case info, and says hope you have a better rest of your day.

Tomorrow we'll try to get an estimate for the cost and timeline for repairs. I imagine it is going to take a while. It sucks because we had lots of stuff (and lots of videos planned).

We did a livestream on our channel earlier today and talked about it and some of our plans for the channel since we are screwed without a Mach-E.

very sorry to hear it.

Liv

First Name
Liv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 RAV4 Art Car
Occupation
BioCAD Engineer
Country flag

That was actually my greatest fear when we all stopped. It's why I called 911 again after about 30 mins waiting. He seemed calm, not agitated, young, and resigned but I was super on edge since fleeing the scene is so erratic! So glad it all turned out so well! Whew.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
You should see my permanent record. Some high school teachers still remember me.

Deleted member 2014

Sh... ?
But glad you're both ok ??
Hope your Baby gets fixed soon.
I enjoy your YouTube Videos a lot

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
It's amazing what lengths you will go to with your recording!
Interesting to see how it goes. Pleased you are all good.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
It shoved me forward. My foot was on the accelerator because of one pedal driving (hadn't thought about that before). Luckily, I reacted quickly and hit the brakes. I thought I was going to hit the car in front of me and barely missed them.
I echo all the well wishes - glad you are both safe.

My take on your experience is the danger of using OPD. I never would have thought about it if you had not posted this. The danger will be especially acute for those of us who have driving ICE cars for years. It seems like if you are going to use OPD, you should still always put your foot on the brake pedal when stopped.

Wow. Imagine reacting quickly and accidentally pressing the accelerator pedal instead of the brake! Your experience has pretty much convinced me that I will not use OPD. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Today, I'm trying to figure out where to get it repaired.

My dealer doesn't do collision work (and most dealers around Denver don't). The place they recommended is sorta far away and they aren't part of the Ford Certified Collision Network.

Yes, Ford has a list of certified repair centers. But when I look at the list, there is no way to tell if they have experience with EVs or if they have a good paint shop, etc. And a lot of their listings are actually different locations for Caliber Collision (huge repair company). I've had good luck with them before, but they definitely operate on repairing lots and lots of cars.

My insurance also has a list of certified repair centers, but they also mostly list Caliber and similar chains.

Any advice? I'm worried about timeliness, quality of repairs, and quality of paint.
I would go with one of the ones your insurance recommends, makes paperwork easier. My 06 had to get the passenger door repainted and I ended up at a GM dealer after reading reviews ofthose listed by my insurance. They did a great job.

Brady33

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep GC
Country flag
Oh No!! This sucks! I'm glad you both are okay, and the car can at least still drive properly. It will be interesting to see the repair process/timeline. Does Ford reccomend a body shop for the Mach-E, or does your insurance just give you a list of preferred shops?

Brady33

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep GC
Country flag
Today, I'm trying to figure out where to get it repaired.

My dealer doesn't do collision work (and most dealers around Denver don't). The place they recommended is sorta far away and they aren't part of the Ford Certified Collision Network.

Yes, Ford has a list of certified repair centers. But when I look at the list, there is no way to tell if they have experience with EVs or if they have a good paint shop, etc. And a lot of their listings are actually different locations for Caliber Collision (huge repair company). I've had good luck with them before, but they definitely operate on repairing lots and lots of cars.

My insurance also has a list of certified repair centers, but they also mostly list Caliber and similar chains.

Any advice? I'm worried about timeliness, quality of repairs, and quality of paint.
The other sucky thing about all of this is that now your accident will show up on those dumb 'carfax' reports. When you try to trade it in for a future MME, they're gonna try to low-ball you and say "but it's been in an accident....." drama.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Absolutely. Person at faults Insurance has to pay for diminished value when the accident is not your fault.
I can't remember, but it was either Carmax or Carvana that did an estimate on my trade that had an accident, it actually listed what they would have offered if it didn't have the accident. That would make my DV claim much easier! I didn't have that for when someone hit my Edge. I finally got the insurance company up to $1k Diminished value up from the $500 they offered. That offer I got on my car a few months ago took $3k off the price for the accident. And I think if I had that, it would have been actual real world numbers they could have used to justify the claim.

When I tried to find more ways to get a value, all the websites seem to be lawyers wanting to represent you to get more money, and of course take a cut.
Sponsored