Rear wiper blade - longer replacement?

chowz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I just tried this 16" Bosch blade to see if it would work as well as the Trico, but with an extra inch of coverage. It does fit, but without as much click in force as the Trico and doesn't have as much spring force in the blade itself. The end of the wiper doesn't make contact with the glass when it's in its resting position, but it does seem to make contact for most of the arc when in use. I'll leave it there for now, but will have to drive with it for a bit to see if it's any better than the Trico 15".
Thanks for checking it out! Sorta disappointed that it doesn't make good contact. I installed the rear dashcam as high up as possible and I'm not totally sure the 15" upgrade will clear enough. Let me know if it gets better!
Sponsored

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
I made a video about the replacement and longer version, thank you all for all the info

I watched a few of these videos and they are helpful, but there are two tips that Benjamin provides in this video that look especially useful:
  1. The use of a piece of cardboard to ensure that if you lose hold of the arm it doesn't hit the glass and scratch it.
  2. For the rear blade replacement, the use of the thumb to provide a counterforce when pulling to the right. I don't have the MME yet so I can't try it, but it looks like it would provide a nice way to control the force.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Thanks for checking it out! Sorta disappointed that it doesn't make good contact. I installed the rear dashcam as high up as possible and I'm not totally sure the 15" upgrade will clear enough. Let me know if it gets better!
Yeah, I drove around with the Bosch today in the rain, and I don’t think it’s any better than the Trico. The extra inch is really only half an inch at the top, and there’s probably close to that amount that isn’t wiped all that well at the edge.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Time to look at 17” blades! LMAO! ??

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I am using the bosch 15" and I see that it just touches the top defroster line at the top of the arc. I'm wondering if placing the top of the dash cam lens just at that line will provide sufficient clearance to be sure the image is below the wiper line, since I'm guessing that the entire width of the lens is not involved, but only the more center part of it. Perhaps I can just stick it on with painters tape long enough to check the actual image from the cam.

chowz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Yeah, I drove around with the Bosch today in the rain, and I don’t think it’s any better than the Trico. The extra inch is really only half an inch at the top, and there’s probably close to that amount that isn’t wiped all that well at the edge.
Alrighty I guess I'll start looking into getting the Trico 15-G. Just a quick Amazon check and its like double the price here in Canada ($9 vs $20). The Canadian markup is just crazy :(

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I just tried this 16" Bosch blade to see if it would work as well as the Trico, but with an extra inch of coverage. It does fit, but without as much click in force as the Trico and doesn't have as much spring force in the blade itself. The end of the wiper doesn't make contact with the glass when it's in its resting position, but it does seem to make contact for most of the arc when in use. I'll leave it there for now, but will have to drive with it for a bit to see if it's any better than the Trico 15".
I was thinking of trying a longer blade but thought that it might hit the spoiler at the top of its arc. Is the 16” blade clearing the spoiler ok?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was thinking of trying a longer blade but thought that it might hit the spoiler at the top of its arc. Is the 16” blade clearing the spoiler ok?
Yeah, it's at least 2 inches from the spoiler, so that's not an issue. Keep in mind that adding an inch is really only half an inch on each end.

PrimeFuture

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD ER, 2013 Ford Focus
Country flag
Just bought and tried a Trico 55-150 but there is a 4 inch section the wiper was not making contact with at all during the wipe. Hoping it's a defective blade but I can't test as the Advance near me only had the one I bought.

Can others confirm the Trico 55-150 makes contact on the whole wiper? And give me confidence this was just a defective one?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just bought and tried a Trico 55-150 but there is a 4 inch section the wiper was not making contact with at all during the wipe. Hoping it's a defective blade but I can't test as the Advance near me only had the one I bought.

Can others confirm the Trico 55-150 makes contact on the whole wiper? And give me confidence this was just a defective one?
You should have kept reading the thread. It was determined that the Trico 55-150 has that issue, so you should go with the Trico 15-G.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/rear-wiper-blade-longer-replacement.3965/post-151053

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Anyone figure out if we can just remove the rear wiper completely? I don't like the way it looks and wish Ford tucked it under the spoiler.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Just want to add Motorcraft also makes a longer rear wiper that is identical to the stock blade except longer. It is from the Ford Edge, and you can get one from you Ford dealer (see table for part number). The mounting is identical, right down to the mold marks. It is very similar to the Trico 15-G but the mounting is the OEM type.

Part No.Length
Mach-E bladeLJ8Z-17528-CA11.75"
14" Edge bladeFT4Z-17528-D14.0"
15" Edge bladeFT4Z-17528-DA15.0"

As you can see the 15" Edge blade is 1 5/8" longer on each side and the mounting is identical:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear wiper blade - longer replacement? IMG_1046

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear wiper blade - longer replacement? IMG_1047

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear wiper blade - longer replacement? IMG_1048

The last 1/2" of the blade isn't touching the glass in the parked position due to the glass curvature. Personally I think a 14" blade would just about be perfect, perhaps there's another Ford SUV with an intermediate length. EDIT: Turns out there is a 14" Motorcraft blade, part # added above.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I swapped mine out for the Trico 15-G in January. It definitely helps, but still only borderline for being able to see below the sweep line when looking out the rear view mirror.

My window was nice and dirty when I changed the wiper, so here's a comparison of the new vs original blade.

**edit** That's actually the new blade in both pictures (in case you're wondering why it sticks out past the dirt in the lower pic). I just hadn't done a wipe yet when I had the idea to take before and after pics.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear wiper blade - longer replacement? 20220114_152557
Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear wiper blade - longer replacement? 20220114_152500

Last edited:

Subliminal64

First Name
Burnsey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME AWD ER (x2) "Darth Maul" & "R2-D2"
Occupation
Working
Country flag
I have wondered from the beginning why they didn’t put the rear window wiper at the top of the window in the spoiler. It would have looked cleaner and allowed for a larger wiper blade.
But, at leaset we have a rear wiper! *clear through* Ioniq 5 *cough*
Sponsored