Recommended Chargers

ohmslaw

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Toyota Rav-4, Mach-e (on order)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Just ordered a Mach E last week..... in the 6 months of waiting I would like to install a charger (Would like to keep the mobile charger that comes with the car as that; mobile). Are there any chargers that people can recommend?
Sponsored

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I have been using the mobile charger exclusively for almost 3 months now but it is starting to act flaky! Told my Wife that I was thinking about getting a Juice Box and she was like “ WTH are you talking about? “ lol

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Just ordered a Mach E last week..... in the 6 months of waiting I would like to install a charger (Would like to keep the mobile charger that comes with the car as that; mobile). Are there any chargers that people can recommend?
While any Level 2 EVSE with a J-1772 plug (which is basically everything on the market *except* Tesla) should work, ALWAYS check with your local electric utility because many of them offer some sort of rebate or incentive, but often limited to specific brands or models. For example, my utility offered a $500 rebate but only if I bought an approved ChargePoint or EnelX JuiceBox model.

That aside ... some of these things are hard-to-get (in short supply). ChargePoint shows up on Amazon and sells out within a day. People re-sell them for hundreds of dollars above list price (which is really about $700 ... but you'll see them being offered for $1000 or more).

I have both the ChargePoint Home Flex and the Ford Connected Charge Station.

If you're having problems getting something in stock then you might also consider the Ford Connected Charge Station (they are not hard to get ... you would be able to get one via your dealer).

OP
OP

ohmslaw

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Toyota Rav-4, Mach-e (on order)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
While any Level 2 EVSE with a J-1772 plug (which is basically everything on the market *except* Tesla) should work, ALWAYS check with your local electric utility because many of them offer some sort of rebate or incentive, but often limited to specific brands or models. For example, my utility offered a $500 rebate but only if I bought an approved ChargePoint or EnelX JuiceBox model.

That aside ... some of these things are hard-to-get (in short supply). ChargePoint shows up on Amazon and sells out within a day. People re-sell them for hundreds of dollars above list price (which is really about $700 ... but you'll see them being offered for $1000 or more).

I have both the ChargePoint Home Flex and the Ford Connected Charge Station.

If you're having problems getting something in stock then you might also consider the Ford Connected Charge Station (they are not hard to get ... you would be able to get one via your dealer).
Is the Ford Connected Charge Station available again? I know they pulled it off the market a bit.

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you want a more expensive smart charger that is a plug in I would recommend the Wallbox Pulsar Plus. Advantage for plug in 14-50 chargers is you can move it with you if you ever relocated versus a hardwired. Advantage to Smart is you get additional data from the charger can use it scheduling and add in your electricity rate and can keep track of your cost. If you get another car in the future with less advanced options as the Mach-e this charger can do a lot of the things the Mach-e has built in to it. Wallbox is a small footprint, weather proof, extra long 25' cable well built and separate holster you can position closer to the car, you can set it to charge up to 40amps or less if preferred with 14-50 plug. Usually can purchase for $599 on Amazon or Wallbox website.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
The Grizzl-e seem pretty popular for a relatively cheap no frills dumb charger that can do plug in or hard wire. That’s the one I got since it has a full aluminum housing and I’ll be leaving it outside. I didn’t see the need for the smart features, ideally it should be left up to the car to control charging schedules. Can’t comment on if it actually works though since my cars been waiting for a chip for two months.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Grizzl-E Classic

Does the job very well and can be adjusted from 16V to 40 A for different circuit use.

I use this at 40 A and I can recharge my car from 0% to 100% in about 13 hours. It uses the 14-50 plug so if it ever fails I can still use the included 32 A charger until the Grizzl-E gets replaced.

Mine has been outside in the weather for almost 2 years.

KZ6e1e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P4X
Country flag
Grizzl-E Classic

Does the job very well and can be adjusted from 16V to 40 A for different circuit use.

I use this at 40 A and I can recharge my car from 0% to 100% in about 13 hours. It uses the 14-50 plug so if it ever fails I can still use the included 32 A charger until the Grizzl-E gets replaced.

Mine has been outside in the weather for almost 2 years.
Refurbs directly from the Grizzl-E is a little bit cheaper and comes w/the same warranty btw. Also no tax and shipping (For US based buyers)

Jim D

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E - GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Ditto here.
They seem to be out of stock on that link, and when I checked on Amazon the JuiceBox only had a hardwired 40AMP option there. As Amazon had the Checkpoint 14-50 40 AMP I went for it, delivery expected in a little over 2 weeks. My Ford Mobil charger died yesterday so my car was not charged this am so I took it up to the semi-local dc semi-fast (50KW) charger 18 miles away.

Tbird

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4x 2021 job 1
Country flag
I just installed the chargepoint home flex. I have it hardwired with a 60 amp breaker and that prov ides 48 amps which is max amps for the mach E. It is wifi connected and provides reporting on charging status as well as a summary of previous charges at your home charger as well as public chargers.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I just installed the chargepoint home flex. I have it hardwired with a 60 amp breaker and that prov ides 48 amps which is max amps for the mach E. It is wifi connected and provides reporting on charging status as well as a summary of previous charges at your home charger as well as public chargers.
I don't have the ChargePoint yet I get a record of all my public charges too, they are on the ChargePoint network...
Sponsored