Road tripping with the standard range battery?

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I won’t say it because I will have the SR battery. Some people just don’t need to cart around the extra weight if they’re not going to use it. Assuming I ever stop working from home, my commute is 10 miles and I have free charging at work. The 25 miles of EV range in my Outlander has been enough to allow me to top off the gas tank once a year. I’ll probably plug in the MME at work once a week.
I only bought the ER for the road tripping. If I wasn't planning to road trip constantly, I'd be fine with a less than SR range EV for daily life. I just don't trust the CCS infrastructure yet to commit to SR for crossing the UP where it's currently about 445 miles between CCS DCFCs as it is. At least with the ER pack I figure I'll have less down time hopping between L2s on that route.
Sponsored

Bluey

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
As someone stated above, not many road trips with the SR yet but I did come across one. Seems like the big issue is more of the charging infrastructure than the size of the battery

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Most of my driving consists of short trips around town and I can charge at home. That being said, I do take the car on the road, where, so far, I’m happy I have the extra kwh’s. We don’t have a second ICE car for road trips. I might say later that I wish had bought the GT! I just didn’t want to wait that long for it.

MachE911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE, C-Max Energi, 911
Country flag
Most, probably. The obsession with long range EVs is largely psychological. The old Focus Electric worked for 90% of Americans that owned their own homes to charge at, but like 12 people bought it because everyone else saw the 76 mile range as terrifying.

I hope 300 truly is the peak we get to for the EV "Range Wars" and we stay at 300 and focus on making them cheaper and faster charging.
I don’t, I won’t be fully happy until we hit 400 mile range with EVs. As it stands from where I live there are a lot of road trip destinations that I’d love to be able to do in one shot with a buffer at the end. 300 mile range doesn’t cut it. Arriving with 5% battery to a destination and then scrambling to find a charger is not fun.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I don’t, I won’t be fully happy until we hit 400 mile range with EVs. As it stands from where I live there are a lot of road trip destinations that I’d love to be able to do in one shot with a buffer at the end. 300 mile range doesn’t cut it. Arriving with 5% battery to a destination and then scrambling to find a charger is not fun.
5% is my preferred arrival SoC, honestly.

My point was that was charging gets faster and more ubiquitous, range is irrelevant.

I'd take a 200 mile EV that had 350 kW charging. I don't mind stopping.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag

My point was that was charging gets faster and more ubiquitous, range is irrelevant.

Honestly, I think you’re in the minority here. Seriously, how many ICE cars only have 200 mile range? Stopping often has its place but not every trip - for most people.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Honestly, I think you’re in the minority here. Seriously, how many ICE cars only have 200 mile range? Stopping often has its place but not every trip - for most people.
Well there's a reason I bought the 300 mile version.

MachE911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

you do you, but when I’m traveling to a destination/hotel that doesn’t have charging infrastructure, I’d prefer to arrive with something much higher than 5% SOC. I have a lot of day trip destinations that are between 80-120 miles each way. Last thing I need is to be worried that my car is 100% charged before I go there, and that I can struggle to find a charger once there. It’s a level of anxiety that is unnecessary.

I wouldn’t buy an ICE with 200miles range, and I won’t buy an EV with only 200 miles range either. I’m OK with the “270 mile” range of the AWD ER, effectively it’s around 240-250 at highway speeds, but this works OK. I’d still prefer 350-400 miles range.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
you do you, but when I’m traveling to a destination/hotel that doesn’t have charging infrastructure, I’d prefer to arrive with something much higher than 5% SOC. I have a lot of day trip destinations that are between 80-120 miles each way. Last thing I need is to be worried that my car is 100% charged before I go there, and that I can struggle to find a charger once there. It’s a level of anxiety that is unnecessary.

I wouldn’t buy an ICE with 200miles range, and I won’t buy an EV with only 200 miles range either. I’m OK with the “270 mile” range of the AWD ER, effectively it’s around 240-250 at highway speeds, but this works OK. I’d still prefer 350-400 miles range.
I'm not particularly interested in Level 2 charging. I'm saying 5% SoC into a DCFC, which is really the only way of charging outside of home that makes sense to me.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I’d still prefer 350-400 miles range.
Everyone would "prefer" that, but it isn't realistically available today despite Tesla's claims.

You either accept what's available, or you don't. If you don't then clearly this isn't the time for you to buy a BEV. You can mitigate arriving with 5% by charging to a higher percentage in your journey, or add another stop.

Complaining about what is won't change it

MachE911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Everyone would "prefer" that, but it isn't realistically available today despite Tesla's claims.

You either accept what's available, or you don't. If you don't then clearly this isn't the time for you to buy a BEV. You can mitigate arriving with 5% by charging to a higher percentage in your journey, or add another stop.

Complaining about what is won't change it
Whose complaining? I’m fine with the 270 range the car has. I’m disagreeing with SteelMach who thinks 200miles range is fine.

I'm not particularly interested in Level 2 charging. I'm saying 5% SoC into a DCFC, which is really the only way of charging outside of home that makes sense to me.
arriving with 5% is too risky if you need to run the heat and it’s exceptionally windy, your not gonna have a fun time.

The ICTVillain

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Accord, NsX, Oddysey
Country flag
I have Premium SR RWD. I drove from Wichita, Ks to DFW and back. About an hour of charging each direction was required. Two stops on the way down, three stops on the way back.

The charging network between the cities worked great. I had some issues while within the DFW (not many true fast chargers available and the EVGO network is a little difficult).

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I am considering ordering a Select RWD. My wife and I drive from NY to FL in the fall and back again in the spring. The trip is about 1250 miles one way. We usually do it in 2 days. I am interested in hearing from anyone that has done a similar trip with the 68 kWh battery. Other than these 2 trips, the standard range battery is more than enough for our needs. I do have other vehicles I could take on this trip, but of course, I want to show off the Mach E to my neighbors in FL!!

I have a Select AWD SR.....

only taken one road trip so far. I went camping, and researched the route a bit to make sure it looked like there were charge stations at least every 150 miles. Not dcdc fast charge, just ANY charge. I found lots of 7kw, and one 20kw traveling around Northern NM and Southern CO off the main interstates.

So..... as long as you plan to eat and relax along the way, road trips are fine with SR as long as you allow time to charge every 150mi or so.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I won’t say it because I will have the SR battery. Some people just don’t need to cart around the extra weight if they’re not going to use it. Assuming I ever stop working from home, my commute is 10 miles and I have free charging at work. The 25 miles of EV range in my Outlander has been enough to allow me to top off the gas tank once a year. I’ll probably plug in the MME at work once a week.
I bought SR battery as well since 95+% of my miles are less than 200 mile days so I can charge at home. I am perfectly happy with lower cost, lower weight, and *slightly* less max miles requiring maybe a couple extra stops on a long trip.
Sponsored