Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Google Translate:

With the start of production of the Mustang Mach-E, some rumors arose about new Ford plans to manufacture another electric SUV in Mexico, apparently the American brand will take advantage of the deep modernization of the Cuautitlán State of Mexico factory and the Mach-E platform to produce a new electric truck delivering manufacturing and engineering efficiencies and reducing costs.
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I would love to have an all electric Explorer! My wife loves her Explorer ST and won’t drive anything smaller in size and she has a very short commute. I bet the performance of an all electric Explorer would be very similar to the ST.

Last edited:

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I would love to have an all electric Explorer! My wife loves her Explorer ST and won’t drive anything smaller in size and she has a very short commute. I beat the performance of an all electric Explorer would be very similar to the ST.
It would be nice, but I think the aero of Explorer would put the range at 100 miles with the extended range battery, lol.

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
I would love to have an all electric Explorer! My wife loves her Explorer ST and won’t drive anything smaller in size and she has a very short commute. I beat the performance of an all electric Explorer would be very similar to the ST.
I agree. I have an all black Explorer Sport and I love it. I still plan to get the MME. But I definitely want to get the Explorer EV because I really prefer a true SUV.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It would be nice, but I think the aero of Explorer would put the range at 100 miles with the extended range battery, lol.
Just what I was thinking. It's a struggle to get 300 miles out of a low, sleek Mach-E. A true SUV would probably get half the range, if that.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
An electric Explorer would at least not leak carbon monoxide into the police version. (Well, who knows - if this generation's Explorer launch was any indication, maybe they'd manage that somehow.)

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Ah but an eExplorer would have plenty of room for batteries. I bet you could eek out 200+ miles, maybe even 250+.

By the time it would be developed battery tech would be better and with such a large battery it would be a $100k vehicle.

Of course all that battery weight would necessitate a body on frame structure....

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
By the time it would be developed battery tech would be better and with such a large battery it would be a $100k vehicle.
And that's really the key. Current battery energy density can barely support 300 miles in a vehicle the size/shape of the Mach-E. Something bigger and less aerodynamic would take a lot more batteries. But that's a Catch-22 because it weighs more, and thus requires even more batteries. All those batteries are very expensive, and also take that much longer to charge. There's just a point of diminishing return.

The bigger consumer vehicles are generally either gonna stay ICE, or go PHEV, until battery energy density doubles (and gets cheaper). That could be 3 years away... or 5... or 10... who knows.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
And that's really the key. Current battery energy density can barely support 300 miles in a vehicle the size/shape of the Mach-E. Something bigger and less aerodynamic would take a lot more batteries. But that's a Catch-22 because it weighs more, and thus requires even more batteries. All those batteries are very expensive, and also take that much longer to charge. There's just a point of diminishing return.

The bigger consumer vehicles are generally either gonna stay ICE, or go PHEV, until battery energy density doubles (and gets cheaper). That could be 3 years away... or 5... or 10... who knows.
Exactly: I often equate this to "the rocket problem".

To lift more weight rockets need more fuel, which weighs more, requiring more fuel, repeat.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
An electric Explorer would at least not leak carbon monoxide into the police version. (Well, who knows - if this generation's Explorer launch was any indication, maybe they'd manage that somehow.)
It is hard to control the aftermarket drilling holes everywhere, lol.
Sponsored