Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Before I press play, are there any "Get off my grass!" moments? ;)
He actually says nice things about the Ford design. Of course he references work he did in 1985. I wish I had my knees from 1985, but not my POS Shirocco.

JB20

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Country flag
It is interesting, but I don't get his fascination with clips. I can not even begin to count how many clips I have bent or broken over the years. They will work fine if you never have to remove it, but in my experience you run into more trouble down the road using them. I really like the quarter turn screws.

Also some of the other changes he was talking about with using glue to put parts together rather than screws seems like it may actually increase parts cost.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
This one is fascinating to me.
Interesting to me as well. Sandy shows us why the door fabrication is superior in the MMe compared with the MY. He shows us how Ford goof proofs the door assembly.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
more like "here's why I am an ahead of everyone else genius" comments. I would suppose the fasteners prevent rattling better than snapping the parts in

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE, Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I'm not getting much out of his videos. For the most part, he and his team are just guessing. They didn't even know that all MME's are made in Mexico. And frankly, I don't know if integrated controllers (as Munro suggests) are better than individual components. I think you can take either side of that argument. And what's the point of driving the car around without its doors?

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It is interesting, but I don't get his fascination with clips. I can not even begin to count how many clips I have bent or broken over the years. They will work fine if you never have to remove it, but in my experience you run into more trouble down the road using them. I really like the quarter turn screws.
Yeah, that confused me as well. Not to mention those screws arrive already inserted into the panel piece, so all they have to do is place it in the door and turn the screw, about 10 seconds of work. Yet he wants a person to have to fiddle with making sure something has clipped in for no other reason than it's something he came up with. If no one has used that since 1985, maybe he's the one who has it wrong.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
DFM (design for manufacturing) guys love clips and other single-use fasteners because they are intended to be used once and don’t need tools for installation (which makes for quicker installation). DFS (design for service) guys hate clips because they are hard to take apart without being compromised and usually require super-special tools to disassemble.

Being a guy who has worked with the line as well as having torn apart more than my fair share of stuff, I side with the DFS guys. Give me some screws and Dsus fasteners.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
And what's the point of driving the car around without its doors?

They want to proceed with tearing the car down/apart, but they want to experience Ford’s next OTA update so they are trying to keep the car drivable while still stripping parts off.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
DFM (design for manufacturing) guys love clips and other single-use fasteners because they are intended to be used once and don’t need tools for installation (which makes for quicker installation). DFS (design for service) guys hate clips because they are hard to take apart without being compromised and usually require super-special tools to disassemble.

Being a guy who has worked with the line as well as having torn apart more than my fair share of stuff, I side with the DFS guys. Give me some screws and Dsus fasteners.
My company has shifted their design philosophy from DFM to DFS, where possible, but there's always a balancing act in trying to keep costs down on the manufacturing side, both labor and materials. Previous designs, the service team was never involved during the R&D process but in recent years, a few designs have been modified to allow for easier serviceability.

RW Journey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME FE
Country flag
"One part is alot safer than 10", perhaps in some cases but at what cost to the manufacturing process?
Sponsored