Shopping for a Home Charger

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
Btw, at least for me, whether it’s hardwired or plugged in, it’s easy to take with me if I leave.
Sponsored

prius2pony

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium First Edition
Country flag
Just do the math and make sure it works for you.

240V X 40A/h = 9.6 kW/h 88 kW/h battery/ 9.6 kW/h= 9.1 h charging time for an EMPTY battery.

240V X 48A/h = 11.5 kW/h 88kW/h Battery/ 11.5 kW/h= 7.6 h charging time for an EMPTY battery. So the question is how much of the battery will you use on daily basis? It's up to you to figure it out. ;)
Your overall point convinces me, but shouldn’t your math to compute charging time allow for the stepping down of charge rate as the battery nears full? The Ford materials quote slightly longer charge times. Is that because they’re not quoting starting from zero? Or only going to 80% as recommended?

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
shouldn’t your math to compute charging time allow for the stepping down of charge rate as the battery nears full?
AC charging is very slow anyways, compared to DCFC. Therefore, charge rate is pretty much constant. Meaningful step down only happens during DCFC.

The Ford materials quote slightly longer charge times. Is that because they’re not quoting starting from zero? Or only going to 80% as recommended?
The difference is due to charging loss. When you put in 1 kWh, the battery only adds 0.95 kWh (the number here is made up). Additionally, your 240V outlet may only supply 220V at peak usage times. That means a few percent less energy. But again, if we're calculating the number of hours needed for 240V charging, the difference is small enough that we generally don't care.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Just a heads up about the 30% tax credit... I just filed my taxes and my accountant noted that this is also tied to your tax basis. Although I had more than enough taxable income to qualify for the credit, because I believe I made too much to qualify (I think). Long story short, don't assume you can get the credit like I did. This was really the only reason that I hired and electrician instead of installing it myself... ugh. :mad:

Specifically from the IRS instructions...

Line 17
Although you may not owe alternative minimum tax (AMT), you must still figure the tentative minimum tax (TMT) to figure your credit. Complete and attach the applicable AMT form or schedule and enter the TMT on line 17.

Line 19
If you can’t use part of the personal portion of the credit because of the tax liability limit, the unused credit is lost. The unused personal portion of the credit can’t be carried back or forward to other tax years.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I’m hopefully, finally getting my ChargePoint Home Flex installed tomorrow.

I have to say though, I do think even the slower L2 chargers are more than enough for most people who don’t have really long commutes. Having had my Mach-E for a couple of weeks now, I find I want to plug in when I hit 30% battery and don’t really wanna charge it above 80% if I don’t need it. So I am mostly staying in that 30% to 80% band, in other words half the battery’s capacity, and so far, even the included mobile charger connected to a 120v outlet has been adequate.

I’m going to default my ChargePoint HomeFlex to 32amp charging, and probably only use 48amp charging if I am in a time crunch or forget to plug in or something along those lines as I understand 32amp is gentler on the battery over time, particularly for the standard range Mach-Es like mine.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Only had my MME about 2-weeks now, but the Grizzl-e I had installed back in December is working great. My dilemma now is that we have sold our house and the buyers have asked for the EVSE to be left as part of the purchase.
Moving to a new house that has no 240V circuits anywhere near the garage. Working with an electrician, but I'm wondering if I should buy another Grizzl-e, or something else? I do like the the 14-50 outlet flexibility and my needs are such that I'll rarely need more than 40A sustained current to my vehicle. The "smart" Grizzl-e seems to be on backorder, so without other suggestions, I'll probably buy another regular Grizzl-e?

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Only had my MME about 2-weeks now, but the Grizzl-e I had installed back in December is working great. My dilemma now is that we have sold our house and the buyers have asked for the EVSE to be left as part of the purchase.
Moving to a new house that has no 240V circuits anywhere near the garage. Working with an electrician, but I'm wondering if I should buy another Grizzl-e, or something else? I do like the the 14-50 outlet flexibility and my needs are such that I'll rarely need more than 40A sustained current to my vehicle. The "smart" Grizzl-e seems to be on backorder, so without other suggestions, I'll probably buy another regular Grizzl-e?
There's a good chance that the buyer valued the Grizzl E and the 240V outlet a lot more than what you paid for them. Congratulations!

If I were in your position and Grizzl E has served me well, I'd buy another Grizzl E.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My Grizzl-E has been solid too, albeit only in use for a month. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if I moved. Can't beat the $400 price. Only reason I'd get something else is if I wanted all the bells & whistles of an app to track power consumption and such. If I did, the $700 ChargePoint Home Flex would probably be my 2nd choice. But I really don't find that necessary.

Grizzl-E says existing "dumb" Grizzl-E's will be upgradable to Smart capability at some point too. Unknown what all the smartness will do, or cost.
Sponsored