shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Say your wife wants to add a hot tub next year?
That's just another reason to get a 60A circuit. To preclude all that hot tub foolishness :)

You keep bringing up example of homes with limited capacity, but those people don't rally have the option. I, on the other hand, have 200A coming in and use about a third of that and still have more than half the space available on the panel. if I had limited capacity or even if already had an existing functioning L2 charger I wouldn't do anything, but since I now need one, I see no point in getting a slower charger for the same cost.
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I retract that :(, it is only hardwired, that was actually the "ChargePoint Home Flex Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger upto 50 Amp, 240V, Level 2 WiFi Enabled EVSE, UL Listed, Energy Star, NEMA 6-50 Plug or Hardwired, Indoor/Outdoor, 23-Foot Cable", which is $200 less than what my dealer wants for the Ford one. 30% tax discount until the end of the year would be very tempting
In the words of Alfred Doolittle:
With a little bit of luck, When temptation comes you'll give right in!

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
That's just another reason to get a 60A circuit. To preclude all that hot tub foolishness :)

You keep bringing up example of homes with limited capacity, but those people don't rally have the option. I, on the other hand, have 200A coming in and use about a third of that and still have more than half the space available on the panel. if I had limited capacity or even if already had an existing functioning L2 charger I wouldn't do anything, but since I now need one, I see no point in getting a slower charger for the same cost.
if You are running a 200A panel, you should definitely go 60A and hardwire the sucker to the max Amperage you can get.

Kazi

First Name
Kazi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I bought this 10kw charger call GoPlug from Amazon for 450$. I hooked it up to a nema 14-50 50amp. It has WiFi so I can schedule it for the rate is cheaper. I think this is the best and cheapest solution for me and most of you whom are interested in home charger. I tested this setup with my brother's model Y and it works great.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger IMG_20201124_132953
Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger IMG_20201125_155255

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I bought this 10kw charger call GoPlug from Amazon for 450$. I hooked it up to a nema 14-50 50amp. It has WiFi so I can schedule it for the rate is cheaper. I think this is the best and cheapest solution for me and most of you whom are interested in home charger. I tested this setup with my brother's model Y and it works great.
That looks amazingly similar to the OpenEVSE device:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger 1606414206549

which is fine - "Open" is open, after all. ?

Gilles

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Volt with Mach-e on order
Country flag
I tick most of those boxes. My installation is going to be EXPENSIVE. I have a 75' run from the breaker box to my garage and I already have one sub panel powering a pool. I'm not exactly sure if I can put another subpanel or if I have to get an entirely new meter. Either way, its going to be a hurtful installation cost.
The real question to ask is how many miles do I normally drive in a day. A 25 amps charger (on a 20 amps circuit) will give you more than 100 miles overnight. Most people do not need 48A.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
The real question to ask is how many miles do I normally drive in a day. A 25 amps charger (on a 20 amps circuit) will give you more than 100 miles overnight. Most people do not need 48A.
My commute door to door is 42 miles one way. I do need it =)

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Can someone who has the ChargePoint Home Flex say how good the wifi antenna is in it? I decided to order this EVSE and the place I want to put it gets a wifi signal from my iPad but not my iPhone.

iPad’s have much larger wifi antennas built in compared to iPhones and am hoping the ChargePoint Home Flex is like the iPad in this regard, but given the electrical work I need done to be able to hook up the ChargePoint, I can’t realistically test it before paying the electrician to do his thing.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Can someone who has the ChargePoint Home Flex say how good the wifi antenna is in it?
Mine's in the garage at the opposite end of the house from my WiFi access point, and it stays connected just fine. It can step down to 2.4Ghz if it's a bit too far for 5Ghz. It doesn't really need max bandwidth.

Reactions: ARK

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I've been considering lots of charging options. I just can't make the case in my circumstances to buy a charging unit. The 240 v (like a drier plug outlet). charges at something like 20mph, ten hours is 200 miles, or am I misquoting figures? You don't get the tax credit, but I suspect install in my garage will be relatively inexpensive

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
I've been considering lots of charging options. I just can't make the case in my circumstances to buy a charging unit. The 240 v (like a drier plug outlet). charges at something like 20mph, ten hours is 200 miles, or am I misquoting figures? You don't get the tax credit, but I suspect install in my garage will be relatively inexpensive
I’d have considered going with that or with a 32amp or 40amp charger. But my electrical panel was maxed - not even enough room for 15amps to add. So with the electrical panel expense, it was literally almost the same price to run a dedicated 60amp line for a 48amp charger (same output as Ford box). Got the WiFi Juicebox by Enel X. They’re all so similar. It had the best deal at the time. $600ish (for the charger).

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I’d have considered going with that or with a 32amp or 40amp charger. But my electrical panel was maxed - not even enough room for 15amps to add. So with the electrical panel expense, it was literally almost the same price to run a dedicated 60amp line for a 48amp charger (same output as Ford box). Got the WiFi Juicebox by Enel X. They’re all so similar. It had the best deal at the time. $600ish (for the charger).
Cuirous, did they run the 60 amp line from your house or from the power source at the street?
Sponsored