Shopping for a Home Charger

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
And 14-50 is what the included Ford Mobile Charger has. Making it usable at home as a backup if necessary (without needing an adapter). And to plug in to test it periodically.
Exactly. I'll get an adapter just in case. But honestly, I don't think it'll be necessary unless the EVSE goes belly up. And by the time the car is here, it won't be 2020 so that decreases the odds right there. ;)
Sponsored

Frank Katz

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Prius 2016 Crosstrek
Occupation
Ret'd
Country flag
Has anyone heard any updates about the Grizzl-E Smart Classic? They mentioned news would be coming the last week of October...still debating between Juicebox and Grizzl-E. I don't foresee myself using smart features right away, since the MME can do its own scheduling. But who knows how our grid (OH) may evolve over time
So do I get a Ford mobile charger or some smart charger? I am home most days so have plenty of time to charge. The Ford Mobile doesn't seem that much faster than either the Ford Connect or any of the others mentioned in this thread. I figure since I get the Ford Mobile free, I can install the 240V outlet and use it for a while and see how it works. If scheduling seems important, I can then get one of the ones you are mentioning.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
So do I get a Ford mobile charger or some smart charger? I am home most days so have plenty of time to charge. The Ford Mobile doesn't seem that much faster than either the Ford Connect or any of the others mentioned in this thread. I figure since I get the Ford Mobile free, I can install the 240V outlet and use it for a while and see how it works. If scheduling seems important, I can then get one of the ones you are mentioning.
You will be able to schedule charges directly within your Mach-E or using the FordPass app, regardless of what EVSE you're using.

If you don't need faster charging, and don't mind either 1) lugging the mobile out each time you want to charge or 2) keeping it permanently out/plugged in, then it'll be a fine option, especially for free.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The Ford Mobile EVSE is about 66% charging speed compared to the Ford Connect.
Or, the Ford Connect is about 50% faster than the mobile EVSE that comes with your car. (Whichever way you want to say it....)

That being said, the mobile version provided with your car will do just fine for your described needs based on your location. You will still be able to use the scheduling feature built into the car so no worries about that.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just don't forget it on your road trips. ;)

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you're home most days (like I am - retired), there's likely little reason to pay more for a 48A charger like the Ford Connected Charger. The 32A charger included should be plenty fast enough for overnight charging (adds about 20 miles each hour). The only reason I went ahead and got a Grizzl-E (40A, for about $400) was so I could just leave the included Ford Mobile Charger (32A) in the car all the time without messing with taking it in/out. Not that you really need to have the charger with you (maybe ever), but it's a nice "just in case" to have there.

Actually 2 reasons... the other one being the 30% (US) federal tax credit that expires at the end of 2020. Figured I might as well just have a 240V circuit (14-50 outlet) installed in the garage now and get the Grizzl-E, since it's basically 30% off this year.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
If you're home most days (like I am - retired), there's likely little reason to pay more for a 48A charger like the Ford Connected Charger. The 32A charger included should be plenty fast enough for overnight charging (adds about 20 miles each hour). The only reason I went ahead and got a Grizzl-E (40A, for about $400) was so I could just leave the included Ford Mobile Charger (32A) in the car all the time without messing with taking it in/out. Not that you really need to have the charger with you (maybe ever), but it's a nice "just in case" to have there.

Actually 2 reasons... the other one being the 30% (US) federal tax credit that expires at the end of 2020. Figured I might as well just have a 240V circuit (14-50 outlet) installed in the garage now and get the Grizzl-E, since it's basically 30% off this year.
To add to this point...
The 30% tax credit is for the cost of the charging station. There also is a separate allowance for the installation up to $1000 that also is set to expire this year.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Do you have an EV your using it on now? Seems like a good value for a smart charger w/wifi capabilities.
I've used it a few times with my Fusion Energi (which is normally on the old Juicebox). Worked fine and I saw the data coming from it in my Home Assistant instance no problem, although the Fusion Energi only charges at like 0.00001A (*).

(*) this is deliberately understated.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
To add to this point...
The 30% tax credit is for the cost of the charging station. There also is a separate allowance for the installation up to $1000 that also is set to expire this year.
Separate allowance? What are you referring to?

The 30% credit for enhancing a property by adding an alt fuel station is set to expire this year... I thought it is written loosely enough to accommodate the hardware as well as installation labor.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag

The 30% credit for enhancing a property by adding an alt fuel station is set to expire this year... I thought it is written loosely enough to accommodate the hardware as well as installation labor.
Yeah the tax credit is 30% of the cost of equipment and installation, up to $1000.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I understood it as both too, i.e. just one federal tax credit for all expenses (EVSE+install).

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Yeah the tax credit is 30% of the cost of equipment and installation, up to $1000.
I understood it as both too, i.e. just one federal tax credit for all expenses (EVSE+install).

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf
You guys are right. It's a combined thing. I got confused......too many programs out there. This website helps people find the incentives but it's just a start. People should check with their utility company because sometimes there are programs that aren't widely published so ask around.

https://www.chargepoint.com/incentives/home/

For folks here in Phoenix.....SRP offers programs for workplace chargers....
https://savewithsrpbiz.com/rebates/evcharger.aspx

APS even has a better one....
https://www.aps.com/en/About/Sustai...d-Innovation/Electric-vehicles/Take-Charge-AZ