Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I picked up a bunch of 1/2 inch extensions. Hoping I can get the angle I need to tighten them.

As for where yours is hitting, no way did Steeda account for that as the springs came at a later date. Shouldn’t be an issue for the most part, but it looks like you are travel limited at least over bumps.

I’ve been having to drive my rx450h, even that thing can’t smooth out areas I’m trying to with the MME. But it’s a ton less harsh. I plan on backing off the rear bar to the lightest setting and choking the rear with shocks. Then try moving positions and adjusting. Funny thing is I’m hardly using the bar for sway control, rather rocking boat control. As it is I have hardly any body roll at the middle settings in the rear/ light on the front.

I’m going to ping my service guy and see where they’re at with my MME.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Bummer you have a rib Mark, but not unexpected. My street Celica had all sorts of clearance issues. The worst was the pinion contact with the driveshaft tunnel (not counting the body work, since I flared the thing out more because of 3” wider rims than because of a crazy low ride height). I had to fab a taller tunnel behind the center support bearing. 🤪🐩

I don’t recall that the rear end links on the MME were that bad. Perhaps I just blocked that part of the install from memory. Threading the bar through all of the wiring I thought was the worst part and it wasn’t that bad (just scary since I didn’t want to mess up the wiring). 🤷‍♂️🐩

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I finally gave up and unhooked the battery like they said lol. That was a LOT easier. But the endlinks still suck.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I took care of the rear sway bar hitting the body ( #54 ) by installing adjustable end links and lowering the bar 3/4". I figure that should be enough. I've painted the bar and the body so if it touches again, I will see it.

Again, this had to do with me lowering the car about an inch plus having it fully loaded with passengers and luggage. Not sure if this could happen with a fully loaded car that was not lowered? Who knows....

On another note, in checking the front, I noticed an issue there too. I decided not to post this on the Steeda front sway bar thread since it has to do with me lowering the car and figured I would stay here. On the right side of the car, the bar is hitting the half shaft. You can see at the top of the bar, just under the half shaft, the paint is worn off. I adjusted this bar 3/4" lower like I did the rear and painted the half shaft where it was touching. The reason the right side was hitting and not the left is the half shaft on the right is thicker. I took the car out and drove about 10 miles, nothing crazy with no passengers and found no issues so far. Next week I'll be picking up friends from the airport and that's a 4 hour drive round trip so if anything is going to happen, I will know Tuesday afternoon when I return.

Just a note to say, with all the issues I and others have had with these sway bars and now even more issues I've had with them from lowering the car, I will never remove them. They are one of the best if not the best mod I've done on this car. Transforms it into a decent handling SUV and improves the ride (not the bounce).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Steeda Mach-E Adjustable Rear Sway Bar IMG_4661 (1)

Last edited:

HutchRed

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E premium
Country flag
Opinions from those that have done this, are the rears only enough to tighten up the overall sway of the car while driving down the road? Or are y'all only seeing a difference when turning hard in a corner?

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
The rear will help a lot with the side to side rocking not front to back. It will however also firm up the ride in the back a little (yes even though Steeda claims 'does not affect straight line performance'). The way the bar does it's job is by using the suspension on the other side of the car to pull the suspension up, forcing the car level. It's a little but it's there. You're linking the left and right wheels more with the steeda bar. I have a LOT of chatter (cracked street, crappy pot hole repair, ridiculous 'drains') and crap roads around here so I've dropped down to the lightest setting (outside hole) which is 250 lbs. stock is 200. Middle notch is 300, Hardest (inside hole) is 350. What this means is take one end of the bar. Clamp it to something that won't move. It'll take 250, 300 or 350 lbs of force to twist the bar. That means if you go to 350lb setting expect to feel more things from the road.

The rear bar is probably enough for most people. The front bar turns it into a Mustang.

HutchRed

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E premium
Country flag
The rear will help a lot with the side to side rocking not front to back. It will however also firm up the ride in the back a little (yes even though Steeda claims 'does not affect straight line performance'). The way the bar does it's job is by using the suspension on the other side of the car to pull the suspension up, forcing the car level. It's a little but it's there. You're linking the left and right wheels more with the steeda bar. I have a LOT of chatter (cracked street, crappy pot hole repair, ridiculous 'drains') and crap roads around here so I've dropped down to the lightest setting (outside hole) which is 250 lbs. stock is 200. Middle notch is 300, Hardest (inside hole) is 350. What this means is take one end of the bar. Clamp it to something that won't move. It'll take 250, 300 or 350 lbs of force to twist the bar. That means if you go to 350lb setting expect to feel more things from the road.

The rear bar is probably enough for most people. The front bar turns it into a Mustang.
Thanks, If you search my post history, I have asked a few times around the side to side from heavy winds. My wife insists there is something wrong with the car as it "blows her all over the road" when it's windy out. I havent been able to really test this as it's her car (21 Premium) but she is a pretty good driver and I trust her. I thought this would be a good starting point as I know they suspension on those cars are less than "performance" rated.

I appreciate the feedback

HutchRed

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E premium
Country flag
I almost wonder if a front splitter would serve better here.

Avelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E91 6MT RWD, 22 MME GT
Country flag
@HutchRed I have the same experience with a GT. We had some really bad windstorms and while driving on the freeway it felt like the alignment was severely off, or that a suspension component had come loose.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I would not install the rear bar without the front unless you want a tail-happy car. The rear bar even on its softest setting is stiffer than the stock Premium rear bar. Installing the rear bar without the front bar would cause an over-loading of the outside rear tire during cornering, making it want to break loose. 😱🐩

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I almost wonder if a front splitter would serve better here.
Not a lot can be done about a cross wind. The bars would keep it level, but she's feel it in the wheel and see the car try to drift over.

HutchRed

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E premium
Country flag
Not a lot can be done about a cross wind. The bars would keep it level, but she's feel it in the wheel and see the car try to drift over.
Thanks, I just drove it in the wind. I can see what she is saying but I think it will ultimately boil down to preferences. She was driving in engaged so that tightens up the steering. She is going to give it a try in whisper mode to see if it makes a difference but overall, I think it is just the car itself and nothing really can be done. She doesnt come from performance oriented cars so I can totally understand where she is coming from.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks, I just drove it in the wind. I can see what she is saying but I think it will ultimately boil down to preferences. She was driving in engaged so that tightens up the steering. She is going to give it a try in whisper mode to see if it makes a difference but overall, I think it is just the car itself and nothing really can be done. She doesnt come from performance oriented cars so I can totally understand where she is coming from.
One thing I have noticed is when I am stopped at a light ready to make a left hand turn into my development and cars are coming on my right side at 50-60 MPH, the car shakes a bit and feels like it’s lifting .

HutchRed

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E premium
Country flag
One thing I have noticed is when I am stopped at a light ready to make a left hand turn into my development and cars are coming on my right side at 50-60 MPH, the car shakes a bit and feels like it’s lifting .
Yeah, I am sure the slightly higher stance comes into play with it. It's kind of an awkward car that doesnt really know what it wants to be in life. Dont get me wrong, though,. I do like it.

HutchRed

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E premium
Country flag
@HutchRed I have the same experience with a GT. We had some really bad windstorms and while driving on the freeway it felt like the alignment was severely off, or that a suspension component had come loose.
Thanks for this, she will appreciate someone else saying the same thing as her.
Sponsored