Still No Pet Mode?!

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium -> 2023 GTPE
Country flag
To be fair, when I see posts like this similar to “BUT TESLA HAS IT,” I personally think it’s worth remembering that Tesla has been doing electric vehicles for more than a decade and has had plenty of time to tweak the software and add features. Ford is still trying to find its footing and to be honest, as bad as the OTAs are sometimes (cough—BlueCruise—cough), I think Ford has actually done a pretty fantastic job out of the gate with the first car in their lineup to do so. OTAs are not an easy thing to do, especially for something with as many different life-critical modules and components as a car has.

Do I want more out of Ford? Yes. Have I been satisfied with my OTAs and new features thus far? No. Do I understand and still think they’ve made a pretty damned good showing? Absolutely.
I think the main concern is that super young startups like Rivian have already vastly eclipsed our technology feature set with much less experience and potentially less funding.
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Be careful. If you keep tagging them like that they'll come in here and ask for your VIN and dealer info.
Come on! At least they’re making the effort. I’d prefer not to dissuade them 😉

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Beware of the work arounds, one thing Ford app doesnt have is a way to tell what the temp in the car is remotely. Tesla app i believe does. So if the car would turn off or the ac turned off you wouldnt know it.
Actually, that’s a good point - the app should allow you to set the climate control to a particular temperature to pre-condition the cabin to, or at least use the current climate control system settings and have a pre-condition setting.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I think the main concern is that super young startups like Rivian have already vastly eclipsed our technology feature set with much less experience and potentially less funding.
Have they? In what ways have they “vastly eclipsed” technology feature sets?
I think one has to be a bit careful not to be too dazzled by the new hot young thing that is strolling down the street. Many times, when you see them the next morning without their makeup and not having done their hair just right, you’re wondering “what was I thinking?”

jpinFLX

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered Mache, Volvo XC40, Toyota RAV4 hybrid
Occupation
Director, IT
Country flag
Stabilize the core framework? You mean like the recent OTA updates from Ford that added streaming services like Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube?! Hmmm...

They added buttons to launch a URL in Kiosk mode, it wasn't really expanding any service offerings just leveraging what they already had, which is a screen and a web browser.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Beware of the work arounds, one thing Ford app doesnt have is a way to tell what the temp in the car is remotely. Tesla app i believe does. So if the car would turn off or the ac turned off you wouldnt know it.
I completely agree. The "leave car on" workaround as a pet mode is ridiculous without the basic capability to monitor the cabin temp from the app. This is not a pet mode (not a safe one anyway).

veronicablack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
I believe you also have to disable auto-shutdown mode, which normally turns the car off after a half-hour or so?
I mean maybe I'm not the average consumer here, but there's no way in hell I'm leaving my pup unattended in my car for more than a few minutes anyway. Like, I love my Mach E, I think it would be cool to have an easy pet mode... but I'm also not trusting a piece of technology to not have a glitch, shut off the A/C while keeping the "everything is ok the A/C is on!" screen on, and baking my pup to death.

Could I see it being helpful while on a roadtrip and you run inside to the 7-11 or whatever for a bathroom break or to grab some food? Sure. But 30 minutes seems like plenty of time to be trusting my car with my dog's life.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
As long as there's a way to leave the AC on while we're getting dinner or shopping, I'm fine. Not too different from the procedure in our Prius Prime - Leave it running, turn lights off auto, lock door with key hidden in fob and dogs are fine. I have a sign I printed to put in the windows. Having lived in Florida I have HeatShield window covers which totally block out the light.
you go out to dinner and leave your dogs in the car???

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
When you have dogs, sometimes you're not able to take them home before another commitment, such as a meeting, lunch, or dinner. While I mostly try and take them with me and sit outside at a restaurant, that's not always possible.

I suspect most people will use Pet Mode for a brief stop at the grocery store or pharmacy to pick something up on the way home. But the point of this thread is, no matter what your need, we currently don't have the option of activating Pet Mode for any reason because @Ford Motor Company hasn't yet installed it in our cars.

WIth my Tesla Model 3, leaving the dogs in the car for brief stops was easy. In my MMEs, I can't do it and it represents a major inconvenience.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
You can do it and it's not a major inconvenience. You simply want a different method of doing it.
I feel that it's irresponsible to continue advocating for this workaround, given there's no evidence that it's implemented with a life supporting level of reliability and there is no remote temperature monitoring to validate that it's working reliably.

glenthompson

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT Star White
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If we're traveling somewhere with them and want/need to make a stop for a meal or something. I usually try to find a shady parking spot, put the shades in all the windows, and leave the AC running. We're not talking multi-hour meals or shopping stops here, usually less than 30 minutes.

GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black 2021 Premium 4X Mach E
Country flag
Have they? In what ways have they “vastly eclipsed” technology feature sets?
I think one has to be a bit careful not to be too dazzled by the new hot young thing that is strolling down the street. Many times, when you see them the next morning without their makeup and not having done their hair just right, you’re wondering “what was I thinking?”
Rivian has pushed a ton of great updates already since launch.
https://riviantracker.io/

Some standouts:
Self leveling for camping
Camping mode
Sand mode
Car Wash mode
Pet mode

But hey we got Youtube!!
Sponsored