Tesla Drops Prices... Will Ford?

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
From a design perspective, the MME wins for me. I also like the dealer network for support. Additionally, Ford has Apple CarPlay. However, Tesla’s drop in price, better performance in the mid range trim, better range (with the possibility of higher range in the near future) could steal some MME reservation holders away (including me).

For me, the big things Tesla would need to get right would be better quality control (seems to happen the longer models are produced), offer a lease option with the Y, and include Apple CarPlay or a better way to play/control Apple Music from the main screen. Will these happen? I’m not sure. Are they reasonably doable? For sure.

Ford could also surprise us with a price drop and better than expected performance/range numbers too.
Tesla charges for premium connectivity after the trial period, so offering Apple Carplay would reduce the subscribers to their pay service. So it's unlikely they will ever offer Carplay or Android Auto.
Sponsored

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Tesla charges for premium connectivity after the trial period, so offering Apple Carplay would reduce the subscribers to their pay service. So it's unlikely they will ever offer Carplay or Android Auto.
But from what I have heard, premium connectivity doesn’t offer much in good ways to stream music. I know their is a Spotify option but heard the Tesla implementation was pretty terrible.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
But from what I have heard, premium connectivity doesn’t offer much in good ways to stream music. I know their is a Spotify option but heard the Tesla implementation was pretty terrible.
It's also part of the navigation traffic and visuals. Which you would get from your phone on Carplay or Android Auto.

https://www.tesla.com/support/conne...y is available as,for one year after delivery.

There are various functional features left off the vehicle, which helps reduce the price.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I think the bigger issue is the fact that the mach e is not all that competitive without the tax rebate, at least from a price standpoint. Tesla benefits from several years head start, so I would not expect ford to match price on day 1. But the business model now is overly reliant on a short term tax rebate that is unlikely to be extended. What happens after that will be the key.
I believe the tax credit was always a pass thru tax benefit to the manufacturer. They have to plan for it to go away, so they try to capture as much as possible before it goes away. The changes in price by Tesla seem more of a response to competitive vehicles or less demand, such as with the S and X recently. The Model 3 delivery time dropped to 1 to 2 weeks a few weeks ago, so that may have been part of the cost drop too. The change to the Y price happened after Ford started the orders for Mach E. Tesla's gross margin is about the same as Honda, but Honda has a lot more competition.

darren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Mach-E
Country flag
I think Tesla charges $300 for garage door opener (Homelink). It seems MME comes standard.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
There is no question that as soon as the tax incentives are gone (I give it a year tops) Ford will need to drop the price by at least $5k to stay competitive.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
There is no question that as soon as the tax incentives are gone (I give it a year tops) Ford will need to drop the price by at least $5k to stay competitive.
Actually the relationship with Rivian may prove to be a reason not to drop the price by that much. Ford's partner has a patent on an 800V battery pack which will charge up significantly faster than the current edition.. Improved specifications may be the other/part option not to drop the price as some think.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Actually the relationship with Rivian may prove to be a reason not to drop the price by that much. Ford's partner has a patent on an 800V battery pack which will charge up significantly faster than the current edition.. Improved specifications may be the other/part option not to drop the price as some think.
Good point. Tech improvement could negate price drops for sure. I also wonder if Tesla's price drop will tie into some new reveal on Battery Day, and if they are trying to clear as much inventory as possible. Tesla could be playing that game. Time will tell.

Last edited:

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
It's listed as "Universal Garage Door Opener (UGDO)" and is on every model.
It came standard on the Ford Fusion I had several years ago as a company car (or maybe it was the Chevy Malibu). Either way I'm glad it comes standard as it isn't really 'new technology'

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This clears the way for Ford to be the only company offering a sub-250mi range AWD EV that's actually somewhat affordable. There's a market for this. Just ask @dbsb3233.
The XC40 Recharge is in that category too (although maybe not quite as affordable).

Definitely a market, albeit a more limited one. Many BEV adopters will be 2-car households, with one ICE and one BEV. BEVs are perfect as the commuter car, with the ICE as the road trip vehicle.

Which was going to be our plan until recently when a death of a parent left a significant inheritance. So even though it still doesn't make economic sense for our situation to get the ER battery, we're in position now to just splurge and do it anyway. We're in our 60's, and this could possibly be our last new car purchase. I wouldn't spend the extra $5000 if it weren't for the windfall though, because we'll never get close to $5000 of use out of it. But we'll probably take it a few road trips for the fun of it.

garfieldorlando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
Tesla will put LR RWD on market instead. I guess MY LR RWD will be below 45K.

From Elon: "We have reduced pricing on Model Y LR dual motor & will offer a LR single motor Y in a few months, which improves affordability, while still keeping the product excellent"
Sponsored