Tesla Drops Prices... Will Ford?

tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Looking out a couple years , watch price action at Telsa going into October. Watch LG (ford battery supplier via Poland) and SK Innovation (Korean company that is losing patent/technology stealing legal battle with LG and has two huge battery plants under construction in Georgia). If LG resolves issue in October this year by 2022 there will be major battery suppliers in US putting pressure on battery prices. Tesla's path has been to own their own, but Ford can let market competition lower their battery prices. SK has said they intend to supply Ford and VW. Tesla may have made a big longer term mistake in going vertical producing their own batteries.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For the first year or so, I am expecting some Ford dealers to also struggle with the learning curve with Mach E (- although they have experience with plugin hybrids) - hope they all have some special training and designated individuals to handle Mach E issues , repairs etc.
FWIW, I (half) expect the last time me and my Mach-e see the dealership is the day I drive it off the lot. I already feel I know way more about the vehicle from the info we're sharing in these forums than the dealer will. And I expect to need almost no maintenance on it.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford could undercut the MY $ if they wanted to grab marketshare.
They don't need to, at least for the 2021 model year. They're limited to 50,000 (the contracted # of battery packs they were able to lock in from LG Chem), and they'll likely have no trouble selling that many in North America and Europe at the current price.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Just curious with the various Tesla prices. What's the option price for the fully attached rear windows and bumpers?

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Spec wise, Tesla Y definitely has the edge. The only 2 cons I can see is that questionable quality & the looks. So if you are willing to roll the dice & like the look of Model Y, that is probably the better buy. I doubt Ford will lower the price since there is so many reservation holder. But if they do, hope it applies to all that already converted to an order...will suck if they drop the price a few months into production. All the early adopters will look like idiots.
If you want a red car with white interior, plan on paying nearly $4k more than the $51,100 MSRP w/ destination for a MY outfitted similarly to a ER AWD Premium MME, with many options just not available.

Some Quick MME advantages.

Expected better rear visibility
Paint - cost & quality - Basic white is only cost free color now for Tesla, black now $1k, red $2k
Key Fob included - $150 on Tesla accessories, $300 for two
Automatic Garage door opener - $300 on Tesla accessories
Wireless phone charging - $125 on Tesla accessories
Light interior - Black std in Tesla, $1k for white
Fit and finish - initial quality & service center access
Center vision - speed and other important information
Music - Apple & Android integration
Mirrors - instant button control
Door Handles - have you used M3 or MY
Adjustable head rest
Interior grab handles
Steering Wheel Controls -extensive. Most physical buttons are ergonomic advantage IMO
Auto-pilot [not self driving] - comparable to MME std features, Ford includes self parking.
Looks

Tesla advantages
proprietary SC network + all other chargers with adapter
routing software
heat pump on MY
internet access available during charging - would love to see carplay or ford allow screen sharing
speed/acceleration - nice, but thinking mid 5's will be enough

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
If you want a red car with white interior, plan on paying nearly $4k more than the $51,100 MSRP w/ destination for a MY outfitted similarly to a ER AWD Premium MME, with many options just not available.

Paint - cost & quality - Basic white is only cost free color now for Tesla, black now $1k, red $2k
Adjustable head rest
Interior grab handles
Steering Wheel Controls -extensive. Most physical buttons are ergonomic advantage IMO
Auto-pilot [not self driving] - comparable to MME std features, Ford includes self parking.
Looks

Tesla advantages
routing software
heat pump on MY
internet access available during charging - would love to see carplay or ford allow screen sharing
I made a mental note of these points. Thanks for listing them out!

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag

Adjustable head rest
Interior grab handles

Looks

Tesla advantages
routing software
heat pump on MY
Couple clarifications
I've yet to see the rear visibility compared so that's TBD

Key Fob largely unneeded due to how well the Phone as a Key works (including pairing multiples for multiple people)

Wireless Charging is including in all newly built Model 3's and Ys (June build and after on the 3)

Door handles? - Mach E really doesn't have door handles besides the yet to be determined shape of the little hook thing. not sure how you lump that in as a positive here.

Steering wheel controls on the Model 3/Y actually handle all the normal things you need to do on the wheel. Between those and the two stalks you have basically everything you need while driving.

Auto-pilot on the MME is TBD exactly is included standard and on which models. We probably wont know that until closer to launch.

The basic summary without going into things like "grab handles" (come on now) are the Model 3/Y are going to be better in base overall specs (Speed/Range/Charging etc) but the Mach E will have more random "creature comfort" type things and better quality (likely at least). The Model 3/Y are also cheaper for comparable base options now including the Tax credit (with a few exceptions if you want a couple configuration items)

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
MME: heated steering wheel, 360-degree camera

unknown: fanboy nation vs. Mustang owning Mach-E haters

Last edited:

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Tesla (North America version) cannot charge on CCS DCFC. They can charge on ChaDeMo DCFC (if you pay $450 for the adapter)

Auto-pilot on the MME is TBD exactly is included standard and on which models. We probably wont know that until closer to launch.
Tesla AutoPilot is not comparable to CoPilot Hands Free. It's comparable to ACC with Lane Centering, which is included on all models.

As to how well Ford's ACC with Lane Centering works, I started this thread a few weeks ago on this topic. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-es-adaptive-cruise-control-without-hands-free.869/

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla (North America version) cannot charge on CCS DCFC. They can charge on ChaDeMo DCFC (and the adapter costs $450

Tesla AutoPilot is not comparable to CoPilot Hands Free. It's comparable to ACC with Lane Centering, which is included on all models.

As to how well Ford's ACC with Lane Centering works, I started this thread a few weeks ago on this topic. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-es-adaptive-cruise-control-without-hands-free.869/
Hands Free isn't included with the Mach E. It's an extra cost that we don't know what it is.

Until we get hands on with exactly what the ACC + lane centering on all of the Mach E models it's really hard to say whether it's a Pro or Con for either.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
MME: heated steering wheel, 360-degree camera

unknown: fanboy vs. Mustang haters
Only if you get the premium or higher, or pay an extra $2300-$2600 with the Select.

And since you'll otherwise dismiss me as a Tesla fanboy or mustang hater: I've driven 5 fords (3 mustangs) for a combined 30 years, and a Tesla for 15 minutes.

Fanboyism/tribalism benefits no one, and that applies to EVERYONE.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Fanboyism/tribalism benefits no one, and that applies to EVERYONE.
This ... While a lot of people that visit this forum are going to get a Mach E no matter what and wouldn't ever consider a different EV, there are some that are coming to this forum to get facts to decide. Let's be honest and factually with how we state things. Neither the Model 3/Y or the Mach E does everything better than the other. Each one will be better for different people for different reasons based on what they value.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I'm not very good with people who are not open-minded regarding someone else's opinion or point of view. Therefore, I have trouble with the blind loyalty of some of the Tesla fans. I've also seen some current ICE Mustang owners that are hating on the Mach-E to an extreme level. I think all EV's are great, even the crappy ones (I have one of those "crappy" ones, lol).

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
There are a few extra plus points I will give to the Y over the mach-e, in that is has heated rear seats, a 40/20/40 split rear seat and you can lower the seats from the boot / trunk. These really should be on the mach-e.

The c2 mk4 focus has a ski hatch (on certain trims) in the rear section of the 60 split oddly the c2 escape / kuga doesn't there really is no excuses for it to be missing on the escape / kuga let alone the more expensive mach-e as it can be very useful to be able to load in a long item and still retain the outer rear seats. :(.

At least both the focus (again on the certain trims) and escape / kuga have the ability to lower the rear seats from the boot / trunk which from the picture of the reveal models is missing from the mach-e and really should be there at the price point point..

The lack of heated rear seats on an electric vehicle however is a major omission on fords part and really should be rectified ASAP as it means using the cabin heater to warm the rear impacting the range..

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
FWIW, I (half) expect the last time me and my Mach-e see the dealership is the day I drive it off the lot. I already feel I know way more about the vehicle from the info we're sharing in these forums than the dealer will. And I expect to need almost no maintenance on it.
Totally agree - feel the same
Sponsored