Tesla Slashes Prices

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV, Tesla M3, Ioniq PHEV(daughter)
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
They didn't lower prices enough. Only one model dropped under $55k that previously was not. No long range option made it under $55k. I don't think this is going to help steer folks away from a 330-350 mile M3 or MY Tesla <$55k with full tax credit. Long range Mach-e well above $55k, less range, no tax credit.

I think Ford's strategy of cramming a giant battery to try to get range, rather than focus on efficiency, makes it tough to get the price down. Battery in LR is almost 100kW and less range than Tesla with 82kW. This, along with many other factors, will make it tough to compete in price.

I won't be surprised if we see a bigger price reduction on LR versions to capture the tax credit in order to compete with Tesla's under $55k option(MY LR). >$12k price delta.

PatrickG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
They didn't lower prices enough. Only one model dropped under $55k that previously was not. No long range option made it under $55k. I don't think this is going to help steer folks away from a 330-350 mile M3 or MY Tesla <$55k with full tax credit.
Yep, it's a step in the right direction but isn't enough. I'm sticking with my MYLR order with the full $7500 tax credit for now. If the Ford dealers start offering significant discounts below the newly lowered MSRP, I'd consider jumping back to an RWD standard range Premium.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
😁 (Possibly NSFW)

MachHunter

First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E... I hope soon.
Country flag
They didn't lower prices enough. Only one model dropped under $55k that previously was not. No long range option made it under $55k. I don't think this is going to help steer folks away from a 330-350 mile M3 or MY Tesla <$55k with full tax credit. Long range Mach-e well above $55k, less range, no tax credit.

I think Ford's strategy of cramming a giant battery to try to get range, rather than focus on efficiency, makes it tough to get the price down. Battery in LR is almost 100kW and less range than Tesla with 82kW. This, along with many other factors, will make it tough to compete in price.

I won't be surprised if we see a bigger price reduction on LR versions to capture the tax credit in order to compete with Tesla's under $55k option(MY LR). >$12k price delta.
Issue here is the clock. IRS bomb (regs) drops in March. Maybe Mar 1? Maybe Mar 31? Unless there is another comment period, game is over for Tesla and probably either over or half over for MME. Unless there is zero lot movement, Ford has no reason to make another move. Why? Bc when all the Ys slated to arrive in March aren’t here in late Feb, Tesla buyers may start to defect to the MMEs that have credits. The question then: Do dealers screw over Ford by bringing back ADM?

Whether they do or not we are probably back where we were in fall of ‘22. Ford and GM wrote the sourcing law presumably because they had mineral and battery pipelines in the build. That is their price plan.

‘Can vertically integrated Elon score mineral contracts in North America super fast? Wouldn’t surprise me. But this I think is Ford and GMs plan for now. If Tesla can satisfy the demand surge Ford may have to drop LR battery prices. But by the time you get those cars in supply it will be too late for the credit.

I think whatever you get, get it before March. Because even a Tesla fan must appreciate a pre-March MME is better than a post-Mar Tesla. And even a rabid Ovalhead has to see a pre-Mar Tesla is better than a post-Mar MME.

Also relevant here: Elon has futures contracts and even mining shares on minerals so they cost him a fraction of what they cost big auto. So if it’s a minerals war, Tesla wins.

OP
OP

MachKet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered 2022 Mach E select AWD
Country flag
Prices slashed to original cuts again, MY will qualify for the full tax credit after April 18th making it even tougher for Ford to stay competitive

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Man this sucks for us and our resale...as well as future adoption/development for EVs outside of Tesla....

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Man this sucks for us and our resale...as well as future adoption/development for EVs outside of Tesla....
Teslas are like Toyotas. Efficient/reliable drivetrains. Subpar cars.

There's plenty of room for non-Toyotas and non-Teslas.

Besides, most foreign automakers are using the 45W tax credit loophole and making their EVs price competitive via leases.

nmope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME GTPE, 17 MX5 Club
Country flag
Prices slashed to original cuts again, MY will qualify for the full tax credit after April 18th making it even tougher for Ford to stay competitive
US
Model S
  • Dual Motor AWD – $89,990 to $84,990 (-$5,000)
  • Plaid – $109,990 to $104,990 (-$5,000)
Model 3
  • RWD – $42,990 to $41,990 (-$1,000)
  • Long Range – still not available to order
  • Performance – $53,990 to $52,990 (-$1,000)
Model X
  • Dual Motor AWD – $99,990 to $94,990 (-$5,000)
  • Plaid – $109,990 to $104,990 (-$5,000)
Model Y
  • RWD – $51,990 to $49,990 (-$2,000)
  • Long Range – $54,990 to $52,990 (-$2,000)
  • Performance – $58,990 to $56,990 (-$2,000)

wow, MYP starting at 57K is an incredible price plus a 7500 tax credit. There is only a 4k price difference between the M3P and the MYP now. If I didn’t already purchase my MME, that is probably what I would get.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
There is only a 4k price difference between the M3P and the MYP now.
Aren't the two models largely the same? What do you think an appropriate price difference would be?

Reactions: SWO