Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A genuine question, if Teslas are so badly built with so many problems then why do they people that own them love them so much? They almost get indoctrinated into a Tesla cult.
And also why isn't there recalls on those cars, aren't government institution like Transport Canada or what is in the US or EU/UK order a recall to fix issues that can potentially be dangerous or life threatening, like loosing a bumper or a rooftop on the highway?
Sponsored

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I have watched a few of those FSD videos now . . . quite honestly, I think they would stress me out a L:OT more than actually driving. I would decline being a passenger in one of those cars. The fact they keep labeling it Beta, and shunning all liability is even more concerning.

I am buying this car to DRIVE it.

I LIKE driving. For me, it is FUN to drive.

I hope to have at least 20 more years of driving, after which maybe they can perfect this to get me to the doctor and the grocery store so my kids don't take my car away.

I DO think on the highway and on long drives it could take away some fatigue, and I will be happy to see what Ford has to offer on our cars for hands free in those situations. I also like the safety features that will help me in case I make a mistake while I am driving.

I'm really hoping there are no serious accidents with Teslas and this stuff. In my mind it isn't ready for prime time, and certainly NOT worth an extra $8-$10K.

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
I have watched a few of those FSD videos now . . . quite honestly, I think they would stress me out a L:OT more than actually driving. I would decline being a passenger in one of those cars. The fact they keep labeling it Beta, and shunning all liability is even more concerning.

I am buying this car to DRIVE it.

I LIKE driving. For me, it is FUN to drive.

I hope to have at least 20 more years of driving, after which maybe they can perfect this to get me to the doctor and the grocery store so my kids don't take my car away.

I DO think on the highway and on long drives it could take away some fatigue, and I will be happy to see what Ford has to offer on our cars for hands free in those situations. I also like the safety features that will help me in case I make a mistake while I am driving.

I'm really hoping there are no serious accidents with Teslas and this stuff. In my mind it isn't ready for prime time, and certainly NOT worth an extra $8-$10K.
That is why I wouldn't buy the $1400 Mach-e Package.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That is why I wouldn't buy the $1400 Mach-e Package.
I MIGHT buy that. I don't see as much of an issue using more of an ADAS system on limited access roads like highways to help ease driving fatigue on long trips. Even my daily commute to work is primarily on the highway. I have no problem with that.

Do you do many long road trips? We have trips of 7-11 hours to visit family and vacation.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A genuine question, if Teslas are so badly built with so many problems then why do they people that own them love them so much? They almost get indoctrinated into a Tesla cult.
It's probably one of those "hit or miss" things. Some are probably built fine, and those customers usually love them. But there's also a high lemon rate among the rest. That's common with a lot of mass-produced products these days.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Hardware updates are often known as "recalls". I had three done on my Fusion Hybrid. Other than that, any other hardware updates are from the "aftermarket". Software updates are easier but may have more problems.

There is an article online where Biil Gates compares Windows PC with a car. And a car maker replies to that article about how a car made by Microsoft will run. My best line from that is that a Microsoft car will show a "BSOD" and stop on the road, than it would neet a hardware reset to start up again.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My daughter likes to tell me to be nice to her because she's the one who's going to pick out my nursing home.

I DO think on the highway and on long drives it could take away some fatigue, and I will be happy to see what Ford has to offer on our cars for hands free in those situations.
Yup - I am looking forward to the DA features for my daily commute and long car trips.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Is it true that Tesla FSD does not transfer to a new owner when you sell the car?

No, it's not true. FSD stays with the vehicle, like any other option.

This urban myth got started two ways: One, when a car is totaled and gets a salvage title, both FSD and supercharging are disabled on that vehicle for safety reasons. I hope it's self evident to everyone that this is the safe and proper thing for Tesla to do. The vast majority of salvage titled vehicles sold to consumers are junk. Two, there was a case where Tesla took in a car on trade that originally was equipped with FSD. Tesla decided to remove FSD on that car. That is totally within their right as they owned the car; it's the same as if a dealer removed special wheels on a car they owned. This car was then sold to a dealer; the paperwork with the car showed that the dealer knew that FSD WAS NOT included. The dealer--non Tesla--then sold the car and told their customer that FSD was included. They lied, surprising for a used car salesman I know. Tesla's policy at the time was to allow new owners free use of FSD for a limited time so they could see if it would be worth purchasing. When the free period ended, FSD was disabled on the car.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
What a bunch of blather. Most people I know with Teslas, it's not the most expensive car they've ever owned, and it's not just about acceleration. See, if you'd ever owned a Tesla you'd know that. For instance, I've got a buddy who's a web millionaire. He's teaches driving race cars, and races often. he's got a couple of Porsches--including a GT3--and a couple of BMWs. Any of which cost way more than his Model 3 Performance. His favorite car to drive on the street? His Model 3P. His favorite car overall? Yes, the Model 3P.

Certainly there are Tesla owners who are not fans, duh. Nothing is perfect for everybody and Tesla absolutely has a Quality Control issue. But it's not all Teslas that have issues, just too high of a small minority. There is a reason Tesla has the highest owner satisfaction in history. I have two, and love them both. Neither is close to the most expensive car I've owned, but both are the best cars I have ever owned or driven. I have owned BMWs, Corvettes, Fords, other Chevys, an Audi, Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans. (A Porsche too, but I often don't mention it because I didn't own it long.)

I can access every control I need to use while driving from the steering wheel. At first I found no driver centered instrument panel weird, but I now prefer it for a few reasons. I still would like a HUD though. Yes, there is a physical volume control for the stereo, the phone and navigation. There's a thumb wheel on the steering wheel that controls whatever audio is being used. It's great, just spin the same wheel to control whatever volume is active.

Are there issues? Of course. Music is not muted during Nav instructions. There should be an audible blind spot warning when you activate the turn signal. Every car has it's nit nois. But overall the driving experience is superb. It does take a bit of getting used too though. It's different enough that some folks take a few days of driving to get used to. It took me a few hours to get used to it. The seats sucked until a year or so into the Model 3? So Tesla started building their own seats. The seats in my Y and 3 are the most comfortable car seats I've ever sat in.

Sorry Tesla bashers, Tesla is a great car. That's exactly why Ford set their sights on it. Or do you think Ford engineers are fools too? Why am I here? Because I'm hoping the Mach-e GT will be even better than the Y. The larger battery of the E should be able to deliver higher current than the Y's battery, so there is potential for a very high level of performance. Will it be enough to overcome the E's extra 600 pounds? We'll see, but it's going to be tough. The GT's Magneride suspension is chock full of potential, if implemented correctly it could be just the ticket for both daily chores and track day. The GT is going to need much better brakes than what I've seen so far on the E, but I'm hoping Ford steps up here too. You have to spend $4K to get 14.5" brakes on the Y--aftermarket--hopefully the GT comes stock with binders like that. (The current brake specs on the Ford website are physically impossible to implement so clearly they are still a typo.)

You get great by beating the best, which is what Ford set out to do with the Mach-e. According to the Mach-e engineers anyway. If you think Tesla is so bad you also think Ford is so incompetent they can only hope to exceed a crappy car. I look at the Mach-e 1400 and I see engineers who set out to beat the best, and I applaud them and hope like hell they succeed in their mission. And if they do, I'll buy one.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
What a bunch of blather.
I truly think the word "blather" should be reserved for Tesla forums. A bit too pretentious here.

Nonsense is a more practical, "Ford" type word. :D

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
What a bunch of blather. Most people I know with Teslas, it's not the most expensive car they've ever owned, and it's not just about acceleration. See, if you'd ever owned a Tesla you'd know that. For instance, I've got a buddy who's a web millionaire. He's teaches driving race cars, and races often. he's got a couple of Porsches--including a GT3--and a couple of BMWs. Any of which cost way more than his Model 3 Performance. His favorite car to drive on the street? His Model 3P. His favorite car overall? Yes, the Model 3P.

Certainly there are Tesla owners who are not fans, duh. Nothing is perfect for everybody and Tesla absolutely has a Quality Control issue. But it's not all Teslas that have issues, just too high of a small minority. There is a reason Tesla has the highest owner satisfaction in history. I have two, and love them both. Neither is close to the most expensive car I've owned, but both are the best cars I have ever owned or driven. I have owned BMWs, Corvettes, Fords, other Chevys, an Audi, Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans. (A Porsche too, but I often don't mention it because I didn't own it long.)

I can access every control I need to use while driving from the steering wheel. At first I found no driver centered instrument panel weird, but I now prefer it for a few reasons. I still would like a HUD though. Yes, there is a physical volume control for the stereo, the phone and navigation. There's a thumb wheel on the steering wheel that controls whatever audio is being used. It's great, just spin the same wheel to control whatever volume is active.

Are there issues? Of course. Music is not muted during Nav instructions. There should be an audible blind spot warning when you activate the turn signal. Every car has it's nit nois. But overall the driving experience is superb. It does take a bit of getting used too though. It's different enough that some folks take a few days of driving to get used to. It took me a few hours to get used to it. The seats sucked until a year or so into the Model 3? So Tesla started building their own seats. The seats in my Y and 3 are the most comfortable car seats I've ever sat in.

Sorry Tesla bashers, Tesla is a great car. That's exactly why Ford set their sights on it. Or do you think Ford engineers are fools too? Why am I here? Because I'm hoping the Mach-e GT will be even better than the Y. The larger battery of the E should be able to deliver higher current than the Y's battery, so there is potential for a very high level of performance. Will it be enough to overcome the E's extra 600 pounds? We'll see, but it's going to be tough. The GT's Magneride suspension is chock full of potential, if implemented correctly it could be just the ticket for both daily chores and track day. The GT is going to need much better brakes than what I've seen so far on the E, but I'm hoping Ford steps up here too. You have to spend $4K to get 14.5" brakes on the Y--aftermarket--hopefully the GT comes stock with binders like that. (The current brake specs on the Ford website are physically impossible to implement so clearly they are still a typo.)

You get great by beating the best, which is what Ford set out to do with the Mach-e. According to the Mach-e engineers anyway. If you think Tesla is so bad you also think Ford is so incompetent they can only hope to exceed a crappy car. I look at the Mach-e 1400 and I see engineers who set out to beat the best, and I applaud them and hope like hell they succeed in their mission. And if they do, I'll buy one.
91% of people that brought a tesla listed the main reason as the fun. The 0 to 60 time and top speed is a major factor. Not many cars you can buy that are that cheap and is that fast.
Elon knew what he had to target. No one wants an ev that is super slow and not fun. Hint the sexy lineup.
The ID4 is marketed not to go at tesla but other similar ice crossovers. Even though it's an electric crossover. Why so many people don't like it? 72% of tesla owners stated it's too slow. lol
Why people might buy it? the cheaper price.

The ev side is fun. That is why like your friend he likes it. There WAS not much out there before like it. The instant torque has caught so many people's eyes.
Elon may be weird silly and egotist but he knew how he had to market the Tesla brand.
Sponsored