Pravin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MachE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How does one clear DTCs in FDRS 30.5.3? Don't see the Clear and Retest option.
Sponsored

dreKion

First Name
Alfonso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD ER+
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Works with EU cars?

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I have a big pile of FordPass points and no idea what to use them for. Is it possible to buy this hardware and software with those points through the parts department?

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I have a big pile of FordPass points and no idea what to use them for. Is it possible to buy this hardware and software with those points through the parts department?
Agreed! It would be a nice arrangement to pay for the FDRS license using FordPass points. Somehow, I don't think they're going to be setup for that because the points are an end customer perk, and the FDRS is a product for service centers. I imagine those accounting systems are not connected in the Ford universe.

I'm not sure you'd want to get the Ford hardware cable they sell to dealers. The 3rd party ones are reported to work just fine, and cost wayyy less.

I have bought the Mongoose Plus cable, but not the FDRS subscription yet. Please let us know if you're able to get FordPass points redeemed in this way.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I purchased a 2-day license last night and attempted to update all the software modules.
I have a January 8 2021 build that has never been back for service, so there was a lot of updates.

I followed the steps in this guide. I jumped the battery over to my wife's Explorer with the engine running since I don't have a big DC 12V supply on hand here. This seemed to be fine as FDRS never reported the voltage dipping below 12.1V
All went pretty smoothly, and reported success, except for 3 updates. If anyone has any suggestions on how to proceed, I would appreciate it.

* ABS Module and Gateway Module A completed successfully, but they are still in the SW Updates list and didn't go away like the other ones. I ran each of them two more times, and restarted FDRS, but they are still in the list. I'm assuming I can just ignore these?

* IPMA Module A gets to block 12550 of 15820 and fails with "Unknown Error". This seems to be the biggest update (by far), and takes forever to even get to block 12550. I tried last night and then again this morning and it seems to fail in about the same place.

Interestingly, I didn't get any of the directions to use a USB stick for anything? Perhaps because I've been getting the OTA 1.4,1.6, etc and that means my Sync is all set on the latest?

Thanks for the great write-up, I never would have given this a shot otherwise.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
* IPMA Module A gets to block 12550 of 15820 and fails with "Unknown Error". This seems to be the biggest update (by far), and takes forever to even get to block 12550. I tried last night and then again this morning and it seems to fail in about the same place.
I figured out a solution by combing through the FDRS log files and then applying some trial and error to the process. @mpshizzle may want to update the first post with the solution (see bottom) for all who are starting this process.

My FDRS IPMA update was bombing due to an out of memory error. I can send the stack trace to anyone who's interested. This effectively bricked my IPMA module and starting the car would go through a series of error messages (basically anything that expected to connect to a camera was disabled). To my surprise, the car was still completely drivable and was pretty much fine, except for the disabled features.

Because of the out of memory error, I suspected it was a problem with FDRS, not anything to do with me or my vehicle.

The motorcraft service website only seems to link to the latest version of FDRS (30.5.3), but I was able to modify the download link and retrieve 30.5.1 from the same location.

I uninstalled 30.5.3 and then installed FDRS 30.5.1 and it recognized the same license. I went through the IPMA update and this time it succeeded!! I believe this is a bug in FDRS 30.5.3, and was only triggered on the IPMA module because it was such a large update.

For the time being, I recommend that anyone starting out uses 30.5.1 until Ford patches FDRS to 30.5.5 or later. A little frustrating because after having paid for a 2-day license, the software Ford gives you to download doesn't work. I'm glad I was able to bang on it enough to get the old version working within my single license window purchase, otherwise I don't know what I would have done.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
@ProximusAl has reported that clearing all FDRS Data with a FDRS reinstall solved some of his FDRS problems. Since I got the situation last try where an update starts and immediately says finished, while doing nothing, I've been meaning to try a FDRS reinstall next.

But, I have also been holding off until some of the recent problems get solved, like the recent update that killed Blue Cruise in the GTs. No direct effect on me (first edition), but maybe useful as an indicator of when they get these updates back on track again.

Update, okay I did it, definitely see a difference, now both APIM updates are gone and I only see ABS and IPC. Might try soon to do the actual update again.

Last edited:

Blanked

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE , 2003 Ford Excursion EB 4x4
Country flag
Didn't you experts create a list of " DIY FDRS" folks and locations willing to help others?
I searched but did not find a list / poll.

I'm begining to feel I need to take a very long multi-charge drive...

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Didn't you experts create a list of " DIY FDRS" folks and locations willing to help others?
I searched but did not find a list / poll.

I'm begining to feel I need to take a very long multi-charge drive...
I would also appreciate knowing of any kind souls who are willing to help others ?

Calvin4000

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Harley Livewire, BMW 1250GS
Occupation
System Engineer
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E The Complete DIY Guide to Updating Your Mach-E with FDRS (Alternative to Forscan) 1641895373988

smartino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Mach E First Edition, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So I took the plunge and following the guide in this post I updated all 10 modules that still needed to be updated after having CSP21P22 done last week.

Here is the equipment I used:

TekPower TP30SWII 30 Amp DC 13.8V Analog Switching Power Supply with Noise Offset

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00L2M2...abc_M4F4M3G0J4CCVA494DHS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

YCIND Battery Alligator Clips Clamp Clip-on to 3/8" Ring Eyelet Terminal Boost Cable Heavy Duty 30A Fuse 12V/24V 12AWG Cord 10Ft

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07KR56...abc_ABBEAR0ZQGQ5KS9239FZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Mongoose-Plus J2534 OEM Vehicle Interface Cable - OEM Reprogramming and Diagnostics for Ford / Lincoln / Mercu

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B097NHQ...abc_8Z358CSDGX8QZPJCKNFR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this post. All this information was incredibly helpful. I knew what to expect and how to handle any issues that came up. It took about an hour to do all 10 modules.

A few settings were reset:

1 Pedal Driving had to be turned back on
Motion Sensors were turned back on

I also had to drive the car to get the TPMS sensors working again as these were impacted when the BCM was updated. On weird side effects of the TPMS issue were the interior LED lights would not turn off until the TPMS was working again.

So if you are on the fence about doing this go for it. The FDRS software makes it virtually impossible to screw up.

richsi

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla M3P, 2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Has anyone purchased a Ford Rotunda VCM3? I have one on order and purchased it in Nov around the first of the month. They said it would ship in Feb. If you did order one let me know if the 3 months delivery is a good estimate or not. They don't update you at all so I don't even try and call them. I am in the Bay Area, CA and if anyone needs to use the equipment, I would be more than happy to rent them out (VCM3 and PowerSupply-100A). You provide your own laptop (Windows 10 minimum) and FDRS License. PM me here if you're interested. VCM3 due in February hopefully!

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Great thread. While I’d like to do all these updates myself, (especially seeing the light scratches on the fender after getting the dealer to do the updates recently- cables draped over for the 12v connection?) I still hope the OTA system will take care of everything by the end of the year. About 6 modules that should have been updated by the dealer were not done, so I’ve lowered my expectations and may be purchasing equipment myself, especially with these tips. I should probably drop the headliner myself before the next trip to service for the recall, as with everything doing it yourself almost always gets better results.

wings2063

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EV6 GT-Line /Mache Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired
If I don't have the mongoose yet, can I check the software level using FDRS without connecting to my car?

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If I don't have the mongoose yet, can I check the software level using FDRS without connecting to my car?
I think you can. FDRS can acquire the VIN thru a connection to the car automatically, or there is a place to type it in yourself.
You'll need an active FDRS license though.
Sponsored