Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Toyota Prius Prime
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi!

I always see a mention of requesting someone to "Run my VIN" to get a list of needed updates. I would like to do this myself. Is it possible with the FDRS software and not actually connecting to the car itself? I just want to periodically check for updates and then have them installed by dealer.

If this isnt being accomplished by FDRS, then how can someone do it just using the VIN?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
Hi!

I always see a mention of requesting someone to "Run my VIN" to get a list of needed updates. I would like to do this myself. Is it possible with the FDRS software and not actually connecting to the car itself? I just want to periodically check for updates and then have them installed by dealer.

If this isnt being accomplished by FDRS, then how can someone do it just using the VIN?

Thanks!
Correct! If you own FDRS you can check without connecting the car.

Mind you, this will not give you any information about over the air updates.. it will just tell you what modules in your car have a newer software version available

Rich_Maine

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Correct! If you own FDRS you can check without connecting the car.

Mind you, this will not give you any information about over the air updates.. it will just tell you what modules in your car have a newer software version available
Excellent...so I follow the instructions for getting a license for minimum amount of time, install SW on a Windows machine and enter my VIN? Correct?

Thanks so much!

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Excellent...so I follow the instructions for getting a license for minimum amount of time, install SW on a Windows machine and enter my VIN? Correct?

Thanks so much!
Here's the real problem ... you run your VIN today and then tomorrow someone here, like myself, Ben, Sam or mphsizzle say "new updates released" and then you want to see if you have them, but dang that license expired ...

So you end up like the rest of us paying $900 for annual licenses and if you don't have the equipment to actually do the updates it makes it an expensive "update check".

Many of us are more than willing to run VINs for free. At least then I can mentally justify the $900 as charity to the members here ?

OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag

Thanks so much!
Here's the real problem ... you run your VIN today and then tomorrow someone here, like myself, Ben, Sam or mphsizzle say "new updates released" and then you want to see if you have them, but dang that license expired ...

So you end up like the rest of us paying $900 for annual licenses and if you don't have the equipment to actually do the updates it makes it an expensive "update check".

Many of us are more than willing to run VINs for free.
Very true! I would absolutely recommend getting fdrs only if you have a way to connect it to your car.. if all you're looking to do is check for updates I'm sure that someone would love to run your VIN for you.. I would offer myself except my own license has expired ?

Rich_Maine

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Very true! I would absolutely recommend getting fdrs only if you have a way to connect it to your car.. if all you're looking to do is check for updates I'm sure that someone would love to run your VIN for you.. I would offer myself except my own license has expired ?
Thanks for the offer, I just want to do it once every few months or so after I get it back from dealer tomorrow. They had to replace APIM since I wasnt able to turn on auto update so lets see how that goes. I figure that doing it twice a year isnt too bad a trade off to keep the dealer on his toes.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
BTW you were the first person to run my VIN before I had FDRS myself and I will never forget your comment about FORScan. It grosses me out every time I think about it ?

OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
BTW you were the first person to run my VIN before I had FDRS myself and I will never forget your comment about FORScan. It grosses me out every time I think about it ?
Hahaha well if it makes you feel any better I can't unsee it either ?

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I think you may have pasted a really complex password into the username field on your macheforum.com profile. Was Chris* something not available when you registered?

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium Space White
Country flag
I think you may have pasted a really complex password into the username field on your macheforum.com profile. Was Chris* something not available when you registered?
Yeah, Chris was taken, so I went with my middle name... :)

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Two weeks with my GTPE. I'll be checking out FDRS next weekend and will wait until then to try out the short term license. Can someone please look up my VIN to see which modules need updating? I should be able to get the dealer to do at least a few for me and the others I can do myself.

Getting a new LVB this week as mine is unrecoverable. Built in August, chip installed in November, arrived stateside first week of December, delivered end of January.

Arjan

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Is someone keeping up with the OTA updates and applied firmware ?
So we know at what level a car is even it is not showing the OTA level anymore by typing the VIN in FDRS..

Josh X

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Hahaha well if it makes you feel any better I can't unsee it either ?
Would you be willing to run my VIN for me? I took my car in to the dealer yesterday for CSP 21P22 and a few other things. They claimed to update the APIM but it looks like I'm still stuck on Sync 1.7.1 which is a bummer as I really wanted portrait CarPlay. He said some of the updates he ran failed and he ran out of time...
Sponsored