THE KIA EV6 GT SCRAMBLES BRAND PERCEPTIONS

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
If only it looked better, or at least even slightly different from the regular EV6. I like Kia a lot but will wait for something sportier looking.
Sponsored

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
200mi EPA range is just too damn short for road tripping, especially if there are no chargers between home and your destination. In my GT, I can do 170mi of hilly interstate in 32F & gusty winds using 80% SOC but that same drive would leave almost zero margin in the Kia. EV6 GT needs 85-90kWh to make it a better road tripper.

The Kiaā€™s charging speed advantage gets negated by its paltry range. I figure the EV6 gets an 8 minute head start at every charging stop. It takes the EV6 GT 26 mins to go 10% to 90% (~160 EPA miles). MME GTPEā€™s same 160 EPA miles takes 34 mins to go 10% to 71%.
Yeah 80% is about what it takes for me to do that distance in cold weather in my GT too. Based on my experience going into a second winter owning a frequently road tripped EV, I would never buy one with less range than the 260mi I currently have. Iā€™ll probably hold onto this car until I can get something with EPA range of 350-400mi for the same price, performance, and form factor.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
So for the same price as my GT I could get faster 0-60, higher top speed and more horse power. The downside of Ford calling the MME a Mustang is that there is some expectation of performance. Kia on the other hand doesnā€™t have that yet it seems they are going out of their way to provide it.
I just donā€™t understand why Ford didnā€™t do the same with the GT. Yeah I know 120 is plenty top speed and yeah the 5 second limit doesnā€™t affect most people at all but from a reputation perspective, why would they allow a GT MUSTANG to be released with these performance limitations? Clearly Tesla and now Kia can do it. Why canā€™t Ford?
Yes, itā€™s faster. Significantly faster.

But the GT handles better, brakes better, looks way better, is larger and has more range.

If the KIA met or beat us in all the other things on that list, I would be tempted.

Instead it seems more like a model 3 performance competitor. In fact the 3 Performance actually does better on that list of things IMO.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
ā€œIn our 75-mph highway range test, the GT managed 190 miles.ā€

So EPA is correct since it is a blended city/highway figure.

My Kia dealer has said no markup on the GT once ordering becomes available but my interest has waned a bit.

RosarioM

First Name
Rosario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag
Yes, itā€™s faster. Significantly faster.

But the GT handles better, brakes better, looks way better, is larger and has more range.

If the KIA met or beat us in all the other things on that list, I would be tempted.

Instead it seems more like a model 3 performance competitor. In fact the 3 Performance actually does better on that list of things IMO.
Do t get me wrong I would still pick my car for the looks alone. I just wish Ford would commit to at least attempting to make the GT the hero car it could be. You know there are some engineers there itching to do that and the accountants are telling them no.

ThatGuyLando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CR1
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
They look sick until you see them from the back :(. Although to be fair I did see a black one and it "hid" that horrendous rear LED pretty good. After seeing that and all the headaches with FordPass, I've been thinking about selling my 22 CR1 and picking one up.

As for "brand perception" I feel like whoever coined that is still thinking of Kia in the early 2000's . They've looked REALLY good for years now (since whenever they redesigned their logo) and have offered one of the best warranties around.

OT Ducati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red
Occupation
I Do Things
Country flag
Wow, definitely gonna consider one of these if I ever change up, $63k for better performance than a MME GTPE and a Taycan

https://apple.news/A1jj48YRcT5WldCRJ0ikdYg
I drove EV 6 Wind @ 62k and MME AWD select @ 48k back-to-back. I felt more comfortable in MME. User Interface was easier for me in the MME. Seemed to me the EV 6 was gimmicky if you know what I mean. EV 6 drives nice. As does the MME.
I personally felt more comfortable in MME. I was lucky to be able to drive them both, which is what should be done before any purchase like this.
I made my purchase in May 2022.

OP
OP
Logal727

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I drove EV 6 Wind @ 62k and MME AWD select @ 48k back-to-back. I felt more comfortable in MME. User Interface was easier for me in the MME. Seemed to me the EV 6 was gimmicky if you know what I mean. EV 6 drives nice. As does the MME.
I personally felt more comfortable in MME. I was lucky to be able to drive them both, which is what should be done before any purchase like this.
I made my purchase in May 2022.
Yeah I have no plan of abandoning my MME, just if Iā€™m ever presented with the choice. I may pick this over a GTPE upgrade which Iā€™ve kinda been wanting but the price for ā€˜23 is crazy.

OT Ducati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red
Occupation
I Do Things
Country flag
Yeah I have no plan of abandoning my MME, just if Iā€™m ever presented with the choice. I may pick this over a GTPE upgrade which Iā€™ve kinda been wanting but the price for ā€˜23 is crazy.
I know prices are on corp side they're keeping production low while demand is high. Not much more to add. Hope you are able to drive the EV 6 prior to purchase.

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
you can order one and be completely surprised by the time its ready. It's like a super early birthday/x-mas gift for yourself.
Ya, but then I'd have to drive a Kia.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
ā€œOh hmm, I can take screengrabs, I forgot itā€™s part of my Apple News subscription so itā€™s behind a paywallā€

I drove one last week at the dealer and I wasnā€™t willing to pay the 13 grand he wanted to add onto the price, but it was amazing. And it was sold that day. lol ok.
Itā€™s making me consider canceling my reservation for another Mach thatā€™s due next year. The interior was amazing. Better than the mustang.
I have owned d a bunch of Hyundai Kia Genesis products, and theyā€™ve been absolutely flawless, really great and reliable. Jes sayin.
Sponsored