First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR ER RWD ?
Country flag
Hi all,

I’ve jotted down below some notes from my test drive this morning, which hopefully may be of interest.

The car was a SR RWD in grey, with about 2,500 miles on the clock (dash!). I think this was the one @Hotspur28 drove a few weeks ago – then with ~1,100 miles

I didn’t get any pics as it was raining quite hard, but did get some of the AWD in the showroom – as attached (apologies for the quality with the lighting in the showroom …. that’s my excuse!)

My current car and benchmark is a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.

• Ride and handling. Firm but good. Took bumps pretty well and quietly. Didn’t notice any “bounciness”. Seemed really solid and stable.
  • Road/wind noise. Well insulated cabin – obviously road noise is noticeable because there’s nothing else to listen to (I had the radio off), but overall very good. Less wind noise than my Mitsubishi PHEV. No panoramic roof on this, so would be interesting to hear from anyone who has test driven either an ER or AWD.
  • Brakes/OPD. Both seemed good and OPD is great after a few minutes. I didn’t feel any particular sharpness with the standard brakes. With OPD I didn’t always get a smooth transition from stationary to rolling.
  • Acceleration. Even on this model, it’s good, especially in Unbridled where it’s most responsive.
  • Sound system. The basic one seemed fine, and the B&O in the showroom was good.
  • Sync 4. Only had a quick look but seemed responsive (not “laggy” at all) and fairly intuitive.
  • Seats. Really comfortable and good adjustment. The lumbar support (in the showroom AWD) seemed very good.
  • Boot and frunk. Boot is fine, albeit seemed small compared to the Mitsubishi! Frunk is useful – but I challenge anyone to shut it in less than three attempts ?
  • Door entry. A breeze – really easy to use.
  • Ground clearance – seemed fine over speed humps and bumps. Didn’t look as “bad” as the 5.7 inches suggests.
  • Build. Felt really good quality. I checked the showroom AWD (per pics) and at a glance nothing to report – the only minor thing I found was the front passenger side corner of the panoramic roof where the seal around the corner edge was very slightly misaligned … probably by just 1mm.
  • Any other problems or issues?” I did detect a “whining sound” below 20 mph, which the dealer also noticed when I reported it to him. This was from the front of the car so I assumed it could not be the motor (?) nor did it appear to be the “buzzy instrument cluster syndrome” which I didn’t detect, not the propulsion sound. Left it with the dealer, but driving home I wondered if it was the “pedestrian warning sound”? Did anyone else notice this, or thinks it could be the warning sound?
In summary, after 45 minutes of driving around town and on the A27, it confirmed what I guess we all think …. the MME is a really well-designed, well-engineered car, that looks great and is really enjoyable to be in and to drive ? I don’t think there is anything else out there (at least at this price) that ticks all those boxes.

Please let me know if any thoughts or questions!
David.

IMG_20210508_094443 Copy 1.jpg

IMG_20210508_094505 - Copy 1.jpg

IMG_20210508_094547 - Copy 1.jpg

IMG_20210508_094609 - Copy 1.jpg

IMG_20210508_094634 - Copy 1.jpg

IMG_20210508_094707 - Copy 1.jpg

Tony.T

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota C-HR sadly gone, MME RWD ER now with us!
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Hi all,

I’ve jotted down below some notes from my test drive this morning, which hopefully may be of interest.

The car was a SR RWD in grey, with about 2,500 miles on the clock (dash!). I think this was the one @Hotspur28 drove a few weeks ago – then with ~1,100 miles

I didn’t get any pics as it was raining quite hard, but did get some of the AWD in the showroom – as attached (apologies for the quality with the lighting in the showroom …. that’s my excuse!)

• Ride and handling. Firm but good. Took bumps pretty well and quietly. Didn’t notice any “bounciness”. Seemed really solid and stable.
  • Road/wind noise. Well insulated cabin – obviously road noise is noticeable because there’s nothing else to listen to (I had the radio off), but overall very good. Less wind noise than my Mitsubishi PHEV. No panoramic roof on this, so would be interesting to hear from anyone who has test driven either an ER or AWD.
  • Brakes/OPD. Both seemed good and OPD is great after a few minutes. I didn’t feel any particular sharpness with the standard brakes. With OPD I didn’t always get a smooth transition from stationary to rolling.
  • Acceleration. Even on this model, it’s good, especially in Unbridled where it’s most responsive.
  • Sound system. The basic one seemed fine, and the B&O in the showroom was good.
  • Sync 4. Only had a quick look but seemed responsive (not “laggy” at all) and fairly intuitive.
  • Seats. Really comfortable and good adjustment. The lumbar support (in the showroom AWD) seemed very good.
  • Boot and frunk. Boot is fine, albeit seemed small compared to the Mitsubishi! Frunk is useful – but I challenge anyone to shut it in less than three attempts ?
  • Ground clearance – seemed fine over speed humps and bumps. Didn’t look as “bad” as the 5.7 inches suggests.
  • Build. Felt really good quality. I checked the showroom AWD (per pics) and at a glance nothing to report – the only minor thing I found was the front passenger side corner of the panoramic roof where the seal around the corner edge was very slightly misaligned … probably by just 1mm.
  • Any other problems or issues?” I did detect a “whining sound” below 20 mph, which the dealer also noticed when I reported it to him. This was from the front of the car so I assumed it could not be the motor (?) nor did it appear to be the “buzzy instrument cluster syndrome” which I didn’t detect, not the propulsion sound. Left it with the dealer, but driving home I wondered if it was the “pedestrian warning sound”? Did anyone else notice this, or thinks it could be the warning sound?
In summary, after 45 minutes of driving around town and on the A27, it confirmed what I guess we all think …. the MME is a really well-designed, well-engineered car, that looks great and is really enjoyable to be in and to drive ? I don’t think there is anything else out there (at least at this price) that ticks all those boxes.

David.

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Customers IMG_20210508_094707 - Copy 1

Great report-thank you!

Wonder what Grahame will have to say?

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
OK, here goes. Didn't do the picture thing as I think we all know what the car looks like by now. Rang my dealer yesterday and asked if I could get there early so I could spend a bit of time with the car. He said that they hadn't booked any appointments between 1300 and 1400 to give the event team guys a break for lunch. My thinking was get there early and have extra time in the car. And it worked. Arrived at 1305. Initially dealer was supposed to have a RWD SR and RWD ER to drive with the ER being black. My colour. I had already asked to book the ER. When I arrived the black one was there but only had 15% charge. My dealer said the other car, a red one was also an ER but was still out but had more charge. So I took the black one out for a quick spin, used 5% and then came back and took the red one for a longer drive. My plan worked as I had almost 1 1/2 hours driving all together
The drive itself. What can I say. WOW springs to mind.
Seats. Very comfortable, lots of adjustment, excellent lumber support but forgot to test recline. Wife thought seat was more comfortable than my Kuga but some of that might be due the fact my passenger seat is manual. Drivers seat I found to be on par with the Kuga EXCEPT there is no tilt on seat. Kuga has.
Drive. As my car will spend the majority of it's life in 30/40 limits in town I concentrated my drive to those roads around Poole. Did do a quick squirt on a dual carriageway. Bloody hell is all I can say to that. The ride was very good. Once again comperable to my Kuga. It's an ST Line X which has lower sportier suspension and firmer seats than other versions and the MME was just as good which is fine for me. By the way, a few people have said the 18" wheels look small. I disagree, I think they look good.
One pedal drive
Easy, fantastic should be on every car. I forgot to check whether it was on before I left the car park, the last person to drive it had it on so it was still on when I got it. I have never been heavy on the brakes, I've done nearly 26000 miles on my current set from new so have always used the engine to slow down when possible. OPD just takes that practice one step further and actually stops the car. The trick is to judge where to let off completely. Took me about 5 minutes. Verdict. Fabulous tool.
Acceleration. Those of you who have points on your licence beware. If you aren't careful you will be getting a few more. Those with a clean licence, you might have to be extra vigilant to keep it that way. ? through ? or ? off a shovel are the phrases that spring to mind.
As I had already seen the car in the flesh the main reason for today was to drive it. I didn't bother to inspect the fit and finish, I'll leave that for delivery day. However, I wasn't aware of any squeaks, rattles that sounded out of place.
When I placed my preorder on 29th February 2020 I was 60% sure I was doing the right thing. When I saw the car in the flesh on 6th March 2020 that went up to 75%. During the following year, delays, pandemic etc aside with everything that I have learnt that went up to 85%. I can honestly tell you guys that after my experience this afternoon I can safely say that I am 100% confident that I have made the right decision and because of that am prepared to wait for as long as it takes( as long as it is within the next 4 weeks ?)
My verdict, and as always this is personal to me, this is great car, will be worth the pain and suffering that we have all been through during the past months so stick with it and enjoy the moment when they finally arrive. Not long to go for some ??

Iwantonenow

First Name
Lauren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e (currently have ioniq)
Occupation
teacher
Country flag
Glad you aren't jumping ship Grahame!
Fantastic car which is making it worth the wait, bit the wait getting longer and longer is making it an unbearable one.

Dudd

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Renault Zoe & Pre-ordered Mach E
Country flag
OK, here goes. Didn't do the picture thing as I think we all know what the car looks like by now. Rang my dealer yesterday and asked if I could get there early so I could spend a bit of time with the car. He said that they hadn't booked any appointments between 1300 and 1400 to give the event team guys a break for lunch. My thinking was get there early and have extra time in the car. And it worked. Arrived at 1305. Initially dealer was supposed to have a RWD SR and RWD ER to drive with the ER being black. My colour. I had already asked to book the ER. When I arrived the black one was there but only had 15% charge. My dealer said the other car, a red one was also an ER but was still out but had more charge. So I took the black one out for a quick spin, used 5% and then came back and took the red one for a longer drive. My plan worked as I had almost 1 1/2 hours driving all together
Seats. Very comfortable, lots of adjustment, excellent lumber support but forgot to test recline. Wife thought seat was more comfortable than my Kuga but some of that might be due the fact my passenger seat is manual. Drivers seat I found to be on par with the Kuga EXCEPT there is no tilt on seat. Kuga has.
Drive. As my car will spend the majority of it's life in 30/40 limits in town I concentrated my drive to those roads around Poole. Did do a quick squirt on a dual carriageway. Bloody hell is all I can say to that. The ride was very good. Once again comperable to my Kuga. It's an ST Line X which has lower sportier suspension and firmer seats than other versions and the MME was just as good which is fine for me. By the way, a few people have said the 18" wheels look small. I disagree, I think they look good.
One pedal drive
Easy, fantastic should be on every car. I forgot to check whether it was on before I left the car park, the last person to drive it had it on so it was still on when I got it. I have never been heavy on the brakes, I've done nearly 26000 miles on my current set from new so have always used the engine to slow down when possible. OPD just takes that practice one step further and actually stops the car. The trick is to judge where to let off completely. Took me about 5 minutes. Verdict. Fabulous tool.
Acceleration. Those of you who have points on your licence beware. If you aren't careful you will be getting a few more. Those with a clean licence, you might have to be extra vigilant to keep it that way. ? through ? or ? off a shovel are the phrases that spring to mind.
As I had already seen the car in the flesh the main reason for today was to drive it. I didn't bother to inspect the fit and finish, I'll leave that for delivery day. However, I wasn't aware of any squeaks, rattles that sounded out of place.
When I placed my preorder on 29th February 2020 I was 60% sure I was doing the right thing. When I saw the car in the flesh on 6th March 2020 that went up to 75%. During the following year, delays, pandemic etc aside with everything that I have learnt that went up to 85%. I can honestly tell you guys that after my experience this afternoon I can safely say that I am 100% confident that I have made the right decision and because of that am prepared to wait for as long as it takes( as long as it is within the next 4 weeks ?)
My verdict, and as always this is personal to me, this is great car, will be worth the pain and suffering that we have all been through during the past months so stick with it and enjoy the moment when they finally arrive. Not long to go for some ??
Nice. Thanks. I can’t wait for my test drive this week. ?

Iwantonenow

First Name
Lauren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e (currently have ioniq)
Occupation
teacher
Country flag
Just read on Facebook that the Norwegian key for will come with remote frunk opening that isn't currently working but will eventually. That's exciting, but now I definitely have to learn how to close the thing!

Tony.T

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota C-HR sadly gone, MME RWD ER now with us!
Occupation
retired
Country flag
One pedal drive

Just what we wanted to hear- well done and thanks. My Road test is Tuesday- just before @Dudd, if we meet up there may be a big review... :cool: :)

EssexChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER
Country flag
One pedal drive
Great review Graham.
I think your right. The majority of us, and those that have driven it are prepared to hang in there and wait for a great car. Let's hope we are near the finishing line.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
One pedal drive
Thanks for taking the time to post an update - I'm so glad you had a great time with the car.

I'm very envious of all of you who have managed to get test drives.

jongodfrey

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Push Bike
Occupation
IT bloke
Country flag
Hi all,

David.
Excellent reviews from you guys... just want to talk BRAKES... This must be a car specific thing. Firstly, I drive a lot of cars. When working I do a lot of fly drives. I think my record was 52 in a year. I've also owned a good few cars including the rather brutal Nissan GTR. I've done various track days and driven track prepared cars.

None of them have had as snappy brakes at the MME. Even with the "L" button the brakes on my demo bit pulling me forward. I could just about adjust for it but I really don't think my wife would.

The car had done 2500 miles so it's not a bedding in issue. Some people have had this issue but many not... perhaps an early demo issue? adjustable in software perhaps?

What are you thoughts? Clearly most of you are not finding this...

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Excellent reviews from you guys... just want to talk BRAKES... This must be a car specific thing. Firstly, I drive a lot of cars. When working I do a lot of fly drives. I think my record was 52 in a year. I've also owned a good few cars including the rather brutal Nissan GTR. I've done various track days and driven track prepared cars.

None of them have had as snappy brakes at the MME. Even with the "L" button the brakes on my demo bit pulling me forward. I could just about adjust for it but I really don't think my wife would.

The car had done 2500 miles so it's not a bedding in issue. Some people have had this issue but many not... perhaps an early demo issue? adjustable in software perhaps?

What are you thoughts? Clearly most of you are not finding this...
To be perfectly honest with you, on yesterday's test test I think I only used the friction brakes once and that was right at the beginning of the drive. OPD worked beautifully. Any NEW car needs the brakes bedding in which is why at first they seem snatchy. Any normal car with 2500 miles on the clock should have their brakes bedded in. However, the MME is not a normal car and if most of the miles that the demo vehicles have been done using OPD then my theory is this is why some people are reporting snatch brakes.
Sponsored