Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Well guys, that is another week over. Getting closer to the day we are asked to confirm our orders. Is there anyone left on here that is still prepared to commit?
I am ;);)
I'm still here and in for the long haul :)

There's been lots of background activity on the Ford UK website this week, I'm hoping it's prep for next week or the week after.

Still waiting for the damn Insurance group ratings though. ?
Sponsored

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache with crap keys
Country flag
Ready here depending on insurance price etc and right now no sign of the car on the comparison sites for insurance quotes.

Also the range needs to become clarified. I have already been lied to on the mpg of the focus and kuga in previous years so am very concerned that this has a wildly misleading range listed on the uk site compared to usa.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Ready here depending on insurance price etc and right now no sign of the car on the comparison sites for insurance quotes.

Also the range needs to become clarified. I have already been lied to on the mpg of the focus and kuga in previous years so am very concerned that this has a wildly misleading range listed on the uk site compared to usa.
I think 'lied' too is a bit strong. When I bought my current Kuga the mpg was given at 55. I knew that that was not a realistic figure for real world driving. I can get 45 ish on a journey so am quite happy with that, and that is not even being careful. If I get 340 - 350 from my MME I will be happy. Also you can't compare the figures to the US as they use different parameters

Donfanatico

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SEAT Tarraco
Country flag
I think 'lied' too is a bit strong. When I bought my current Kuga the mpg was given at 55. I knew that that was not a realistic figure for real world driving. I can get 45 ish on a journey so am quite happy with that, and that is not even being careful. If I get 340 - 350 from my MME I will be happy. Also you can't compare the figures to the US as they use different parameters
340-350? I think you're being optimistic. I'd be happy with 300 and that's pushing it. I Hope I'm wrong

Mercury8

First Name
Calum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR AWD
Country flag
Yes. Iā€™m here and still ready to commit. Although I would have more peace of mind if I had more concrete information. I suppose thatā€™s the problem with getting in at the start of a completely new model.

Would be great to have a better idea of mileage and possible insurance group.

Also, Iā€™ve not even seen one in the flesh yet although the feedback from @portlandg has been reassuring! Not to mention the photos on this forum.:)

Hopefully things begin to clear up soon. Thereā€™s only so many times I can tell my wife to trust me! ?

PaulD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Jaguar XK, Peugeot Bipper Tepee
Occupation
Semi retired management consultant
Country flag
Well guys, that is another week over. Getting closer to the day we are asked to confirm our orders. Is there anyone left on here that is still prepared to commit?
I am ;);)
Iā€™m still here but for a number of reasons hanging by a thread.

• Covid -19 has made the ability of manufacturers to deliver products extremely difficult. I do not know if this will impact the technical quality of the car but I am sure it has and will impact delivery.
  • The appalling problems new owners of the VW id3 are experiencing ( Facebook- VW ID3 Pre-bookers Europe), Polestar 2 recalls, Kuga PHEV recalls and stoppage, Kona recalls, Bolt issues? does make me stop to think. Do I want to be an early adopter and carry out the Beta testing for Ford.
  • The lack of encouragement/information/customer engagement from Ford Uk about their mould breaking product.
  • The lack of a order/delivery roadmap from Ford Uk. I understand the covid problems but give me a plan and an up date if it is delayed. Surely the order process will not change and they must by now have an anticipated European order opening date/window. Please do not give us short notice and no information to place an order although I appreciate that is exactly what happened in Norway and The Netherlands and too a certain extent the US
  • The lack of WLTP/EPA confirmed range test results. The lack of safety test data. Although I am not sure if there is a full production vehicle in Europe on which these tests can be undertaken. Although for that matter I acknowledge I have limited knowledge of the process.
  • Insurance category
  • Final pricing details/Financing/Grant eligibility
  • Tariff uncertainty
  • The lack of detail on:
    • Charging graph
    • Battery/cabin temperature management
    • Why PAAK is not available in the UK although other manufacturers are promoting it.
    • What connected EVSE will be available in UK and whether installation is arranged through the dealer.
    • Whether all Ford dealers will sign up to future servicing/warranty issue or is it limited to those that opt in
    • Certain specification issues
      • Does Mach E x have acoustic glass
      • Pouch divider in or not
      • Wheel/areo configuration
      • Battery pre conditioning on charger selection or constantly managed as ideal
  • I will see how the next couple of weeks develops. I would sure like some US user experience/feed back before committing but I have my doubts whether this will be possible.
  • Making an early reservation outside the US was in no way rewarded as it looks like any US order including those placed recently will be built before ROW reservation holders.
My personal view on the range issue is:
  • WLTP and EPA tests were primarily developed to address the appalling previous consumption and emissions tests and not bespokely for BEV range assessment.
  • In their own way all they do is make for like for like comparison on a set test criteria. Even then there is some scope to game the system.
  • In no way do they reflect real life (although for some reason the e niro has a best fit for the WLTP test). Nobody should base their purchase on assuming the reported range will necessarily be achieved in the real world. The tests do not account for, driving style, route, variable topography, speed, high and low temperature, weight, battery age.
  • It is irresponsible of manufacturers to headline the maximum range and use the ā€˜up toā€™ as a cop out. There is no ā€˜minimumā€™ that they could ever be held account to. They should be clearer about what might be expected.
  • The Mach Ex has a maximum targeted range of 379mls WLTP and 300mls EPA in certain ideal conditions maybe this could be achieved. However as a pragmatist I am basing my expectation that it would be reasonable to achieve maybe 270 in the summer and 250 in winter with a mix of driving. This might give you a useable range on trips of between 175 and 200 miles. For me that is more than enough without a break for others maybe not so.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Iā€™m still here but for a number of reasons hanging by a thread.

• Covid -19 has made the ability of manufacturers to deliver products extremely difficult. I do not know if this will impact the technical quality of the car but I am sure it has and will impact delivery.
  • The appalling problems new owners of the VW id3 are experiencing ( Facebook- VW ID3 Pre-bookers Europe), Polestar 2 recalls, Kuga PHEV recalls and stoppage, Kona recalls, Bolt issues? does make me stop to think. Do I want to be an early adopter and carry out the Beta testing for Ford.
  • The lack of encouragement/information/customer engagement from Ford Uk about their mould breaking product.
  • The lack of a order/delivery roadmap from Ford Uk. I understand the covid problems but give me a plan and an up date if it is delayed. Surely the order process will not change and they must by now have an anticipated European order opening date/window. Please do not give us short notice and no information to place an order although I appreciate that is exactly what happened in Norway and The Netherlands and too a certain extent the US
  • The lack of WLTP/EPA confirmed range test results. The lack of safety test data. Although I am not sure if there is a full production vehicle in Europe on which these tests can be undertaken. Although for that matter I acknowledge I have limited knowledge of the process.
  • Insurance category
  • Final pricing details/Financing/Grant eligibility
  • Tariff uncertainty
  • The lack of detail on:
    • Charging graph
    • Battery/cabin temperature management
    • Why PAAK is not available in the UK although other manufacturers are promoting it.
    • What connected EVSE will be available in UK and whether installation is arranged through the dealer.
    • Whether all Ford dealers will sign up to future servicing/warranty issue or is it limited to those that opt in
    • Certain specification issues
      • Does Mach E x have acoustic glass
      • Pouch divider in or not
      • Wheel/areo configuration
      • Battery pre conditioning on charger selection or constantly managed as ideal
  • I will see how the next couple of weeks develops. I would sure like some US user experience/feed back before committing but I have my doubts whether this will be possible.
  • Making an early reservation outside the US was in no way rewarded as it looks like any US order including those placed recently will be built before ROW reservation holders.
My personal view on the range issue is:
  • WLTP and EPA tests were primarily developed to address the appalling previous consumption and emissions tests and not bespokely for BEV range assessment.
  • In their own way all they do is make for like for like comparison on a set test criteria. Even then there is some scope to game the system.
  • In no way do they reflect real life (although for some reason the e niro has a best fit for the WLTP test). Nobody should base their purchase on assuming the reported range will necessarily be achieved in the real world. The tests do not account for, driving style, route, variable topography, speed, high and low temperature, weight, battery age.
  • It is irresponsible of manufacturers to headline the maximum range and use the ā€˜up toā€™ as a cop out. There is no ā€˜minimumā€™ that they could ever be held account to. They should be clearer about what might be expected.
  • The Mach Ex has a maximum targeted range of 379mls WLTP and 300mls EPA in certain ideal conditions maybe this could be achieved. However as a pragmatist I am basing my expectation that it would be reasonable to achieve maybe 270 in the summer and 250 in winter with a mix of driving. This might give you a useable range on trips of between 175 and 200 miles. For me that is more than enough without a break for others maybe not so.
Wow that's a big list that will make you cancel.
This is what I know/think.
Yes other manufacturers have had problems but if no one became 'first adopters' then these cars wouldn't be made. From what I gather most of the problems have been supplier related and not branded.
Ford UK are not alone in the lack of information. You only have to read the posts on this forum to realise that it is a corporate issue in every country.
We have, sort of, an order plan. Although we received and email early October saying we would confirm our orders 'by' late November, this was changed in the presentation recently that we should be invited to confirm our orders the first week of December with first deliveries happening end of Feb/ beginning of March. Obviously it depends on when you preordered as those dates as far as I am aware are for early preorders.
PAAK is not available because of insurance/certification issues in the UK. Hopefully these might be addressed at a later date to make it available. Talking of insurance, I was told this morning that the documentation/inspection process was complete and that insurance groups should be announced mid Dec.
Regarding home charging, I don't understand your 'lack of information'. Go to a Ford dealer and most will have a wall box on display that you can purchase. I know mine has. We know what leads come with the MME. I have set up a commando socket in my garage to charge mine with but there also a lot of other wall boxes around that you can choose from.
Talking to my dealer who has supplied me my ICE cars over the years (not my MME dealer by the way) he has told me that at the moment he could service my MME EXCEPT for the high voltage components until he has a technician fully qualified (doing training as we speak) and carries out a few other changes to his workshop. He says he needs to do these upgrades even to work on the Kuga PHEV and the other hybrids in Fords' line up so I think if dealers want to keep selling Fords most will be able to service a MME.
While I agree that it is frustration that we are seeing US customers ordering and getting build dates, with a few with much higher reservation numbers than some of us, I suppose it is understandable. Ford is an American company, it is easier and quicker to get the cars to their customers that it is to get them to us. A couple of weeks compared to a couple of months. No brainer really, they need to sell as many as they can as quickly as they can. I will be a little disappointed if the WLTP figures come out as low as you say. I have ordered a RWD ER and I will be disappointed if I get less than 320 real world range. Maybe I'm just a forever optimist.
Going by the price list/spec sheet that is on the web site now, we know the prices. The AWD ER and First Edition are the only ones that don't qualify for the grant. Finalizing the finance was ALWAYS going to be after we had confirmed our orders. so what a little longer. There is a finance calculator on the website which gives you a reasonable idea of what you will get. It is what I am basing my future payments on.
There does seem to be an awful lot of people on this forum, from EVERY country, that seem to be coming up with more and more complex reasons as to why they are considering pulling the plug/having second thoughts as things get closer to actually parting with their hard earned cash. Personally, I am quite happy to be a tester. Having seen the car in the flesh, albeit a early preproduction model, I am happy to carry on. It is not just "new" cars that have problems, it's just these have been highlighted more probably because there is more interest in them. At least if something happens early it should be covered by warranty. I have made a large commitment already in anticipation of getting this car so I am carrying on with it.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Yes. Iā€™m here and still ready to commit. Although I would have more peace of mind if I had more concrete information. I suppose thatā€™s the problem with getting in at the start of a completely new model.

Would be great to have a better idea of mileage and possible insurance group.

Also, Iā€™ve not even seen one in the flesh yet although the feedback from @portlandg has been reassuring! Not to mention the photos on this forum.:)

Hopefully things begin to clear up soon. Thereā€™s only so many times I can tell my wife to trust me! ?
Hopefully we might get insurance group info next month

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
I'm 100% in unless they announce Tesla Model Y coming to the UK in 2021 before I have to confirm. Then I would have to reassess.
Im not bothered about the epa business. Whats 20 miles plus or minus as I hardly go on the motorway.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Not that it helps, but we had a four month covid delay for our electric mini.
Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Customers A9184766-1DB8-4ED1-9AD8-AD163ACE724B
Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Customers 0D78BFB7-FB95-4C75-BB1A-78D921C92694

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Customers ACB71458-238D-489A-93A9-DCFC0111DCCB

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Customers 67259551-387A-49EE-B69E-97FA62F21681

Just a sign of the covid times. The wait was worth it though. We love our electric mini. Hope the same (minus the extended delay) happens for you with the MachE.

Last edited:

Bill Schaeffer

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've put a deposit down for a Mach-E
Occupation
Dentist
Country flag
Sorry to sound dim, but what is PAAK?

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache with crap keys
Country flag
Does everyone think that we'll come after they have built the French ones? I'd imagine there will be a gap as the factory has to be adjusted to move from left hand drive to right hand.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
I think this is a general misconception that lines have to be shut down to switch. Most modern day production lines are able to cope with a variety of body styles and even drive types on the same line with no adjustment. It all comes down to the original body design and how it was configured.

Apparently even as far back as the VW beetle they were made with symmetrical body shells and interiors so that they could just flip flop between LHD and RHD.

So it depends on how smart Ford have been with both the body design and the plant, but Iā€™m guessing with it being a modern vehicle designed from scratch that they will be able to make both at the same time without shutting down the line.
Sponsored