Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
If you want to install the 48A charger, you’ll need a 60A circuit. For a 32A Charger you need a 40A circuit.
Thanks to everyone for all the info! I have a much better grasp on what I need. Since I have no idea how to do electric work, I'll certainly be hiring an electrician. I'll only need the 240V / 40A circuit, for the mobile charger that comes with the Mach-E. I do like the ability to "schedule" charges with the Ford hard-wired connector, but I can just plug it in when at the desired time. This will likely be very costly for me. My panel is in my lower level basement, facing the backyard. My garage (desired outlet location) is 2 floors up facing the front yard. Just my luck.
Sponsored

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Thanks to everyone for all the info! I have a much better grasp on what I need. Since I have no idea how to do electric work, I'll certainly be hiring an electrician. I'll only need the 240V / 40A circuit, for the mobile charger that comes with the Mach-E. I do like the ability to "schedule" charges with the Ford hard-wired connector, but I can just plug it in when at the desired time. This will likely be very costly for me. My panel is in my lower level basement, facing the backyard. My garage (desired outlet location) is 2 floors up facing the front yard. Just my luck.
Just a heads up that you should be able to schedule charging right from the Mach-E or the FordPass app, regardless of the type of level 2 charger you're using (smart or dumb).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Well this conversation got off the rails quickly! Speaking of rails - is Ford using rail transport to ship to dealers in the USA from Mexico? About how long is the process from shipping to delivery?
The Cuautitlan plant is located adjacent to major rail lines. This enable them to ship the Mach Es via freight line into the US as well as to ports on both coasts.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Since we have an idea of the production timeline, any ideas of the shipping timeline? Meaning, if a vehicle is currently assembled in Mexico, what is the time from completion to delivery at a dealer? Obviously this depends on the final location, but e should have a good idea based on other models.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Note that for those of you that this is your first EV (continuing the discussion a few posts ago): Yes get a Level-2 but keep in mind that the included EVSE will work with 120V or 240V. So all you'll really need is a 240V line to where you want to park/plug/charge the car. You can decided on a permanent Level-2 EVSE later--do your research and get the feel for how it is charging (You'll probably want one at some point so you're not taking the thing out of the car and putting it back--granted you can drive around without it but you'll never know when it comes in handy--kind of like a jack.)

The question here is: Did Ford publish what kind of 240V plug they have on the Level-2 the car comes with? :checks .pdf's I have: Yes NEMA 15-50 from the packaging guide.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Update on Mach-E launch progress from engineering friends in Mexico iwantitnow

From this chart.
I believe it is the Nema 14-50

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The NEMA chart isn’t where the typo is. The posted picture is indeed a 15-50 plug. The Mach-E packaging guide that says the included charger will be 15-50 is wrong. The included charger will have a 14-50 plug, which is much more common. A 15-50 is 3 phase, which would make no sense for this application.
Maybe in EU they have 3 phase there

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Tahoe, Mustang Mach E Premium (on order)
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
For the record - and getting back to any updates from the plant- I just had to pay over $700 on a car I am selling/trading in for the Mach E which really bums me out. Now that I paid this money, I really don't care when I get the Mach E - just kidding...I probably will need new tires by year-end, so I really hope the Mach E comes before I need new tires!!

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
For the record - and getting back to any updates from the plant- I just had to pay over $700 on a car I am selling/trading in for the Mach E which really bums me out. Now that I paid this money, I really don't care when I get the Mach E - just kidding...I probably will need new tires by year-end, so I really hope the Mach E comes before I need new tires!!
I hear ya! I removed a busted blend door actuator a few days ago. It makes an awfully loud clicking sound if I'd left it in, every time the car's started or if AC vent flow is adjusted. It's a notoriously faulty part on Fiestas. Not dealing with replacing them ever again. :)

Honhme

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity PHEV; 2018 Ioniq EV
Occupation
State employee
Country flag
Agree. Well put.

For those folks where their MME is going to be their first EV......I highly recommend a level 2 EVSE at their residence if at all possible. With that they really wont have to give much thought at all to managing the charge events. The vehicle has settings and other super convenient features where it does all that for them. All they have to do is remember to plug in when they park. The vehicle does the rest. If you set a schedule then it preconditions the cabin and makes sure you have enough charge to make your destinations and return. It also keeps the battery in the comfortable temp range and charges when rates are low.

You dont even need to remember to unplug because the car won't let you drive away with the plug inserted. It really is the easiest thing ever. These owners will NOT miss having to schedule time from their day to stop at a fuel station to pump smelly and flammable fluids into their vehicle. EV charging for those that have a L2 EVSE at home will be VERY convenient and require VERY little thought. The vehicle will always be ready to go....provided the owner remembered to plug in.

My FFE will even send me a text message if I forget. "Hey, dude. Dont forget to plug me in before you go to bed if you want me to be fully charged in the morning!"
I currently also get a message from my car (Honda Clarity PHEV) to remind me to plug in if I have forgotten.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I currently also get a message from my car (Honda Clarity PHEV) to remind me to plug in if I have forgotten.
That is cool. These things are so helpful.....one of these days they are going to drive themselves. Oops Wait....!! :)

Johnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium SR AWD, Buick Enclave
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
Wondering if the moderator can split this thread into two separate threads: one discussing the launch progress in Mexico, and the other discussing the battery and charging.
Sponsored