Update on Mach-E launch progress from engineering friends in Mexico

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Any feedback on the early production as it relates to "new model", "new tech" first model year quality control of the early builds for the FE? Is this as much of concern as people tend to think?
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Any feedback on the early production as it relates to "new model", "new tech" first model year quality control of the early builds for the FE? Is this as much of concern as people tend to think?
Both @trutolife27's source in Cuautitlan and mine have said QC is going to be extremely high of the Mustang Mach E. I expect they will be doing everything they can to make sure the first deliveries are as high a quality as they can. My source said this is the pickiest plant Ford operates.

Subsequently, @trutolife27's source said:
Yes sir, it’s actually turning out really well just lots of little nuisance issues here and there. Ford Is not letting anything turn left to go out the door with any small problem. turn right to the shop to get fixed.
With Farley now as CEO, when he came down they have created around 100 extra jobs at the end of rolls to check for quality.
Dude is anal on everything, which is good, but you know plant mangers have to show where the money went and Farleys said don't care get it done.
That said, I fully expect after MMEs have been on the road Ford will find something sufficiently amiss to order a recall that will add a bracket here, replace a strap there, or something. These sorts of thing only happen after cars are on the road and don't limit themselves to first year vehicles. The great thing about OTA is lots of fixes can happen with little inconvenience on our part.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Both @trutolife27's source in Cuautitlan and mine have said QC is going to be extremely high of the Mustang Mach E. I expect they will be doing everything they can to make sure the first deliveries are as high a quality as they can. My source said this is the pickiest plant Ford operates.

Subsequently, @trutolife27's source said:

That said, I fully expect after MMEs have been on the road Ford will find something sufficiently amiss to order a recall that will add a bracket here, replace a strap there, or something. These sorts of thing only happen after cars are on the road and don't limit themselves to first year vehicles. The great thing about OTA is lots of fixes can happen with little inconvenience on our part.
My family and I have been Ford owners for a good number of years and between us have had about 17 factory ordered cars, three of which have been 'new' models. In all of those cars, only one was delayed due to quality issues. I have had only one that has had to be recalled to fix a fault. So I am confident that the build quality is going to be good. I am sure that most people would prefer to wait a little longer to make sure quality is up to standard rather than rush into deliveries and have 'snags' like a certain other EV car maker seems to have. My biggest issue with ford at the moment along with numerous others on this forum is the lack of 'official' information. I have said it before and I don't mind saying it again, the snippets of good intel flowing from the posts of @ChasingCoral and @trutolife27 and their 'informants' has been invaluable, educational and informative. The phrase 'It's not what you know but who you know' springs to mind.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
That is good to hear. My first hand experience ordering, looking at, and researching the Tesla Y was horrifying. Dozens of quality control issues at delivery with multiple long service appointments that often don't fix the issues are the norm. It's insane.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Except as has been stated previously that is not the case.

Note sure about EPA but I'm fairly confident crash test ratings don't have to happen before customers can buy the car.
I remember a few years ago buying a first year new hybrid Lincoln model, and it sat in Mexico on a lot at least for a month, maybe two, waiting for various things to happen including the EPA inspections, which seemed to be the biggest hold up. Then finally the train ride across the country (which I was able to stalk) and to the dealer. I hope that situation has become smoother since then.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
You wont get any REAL answers on that until they are being delivered to end customers. Asking people that work for Ford how it's going isn't really going to get you an unbiased answer.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
You wont get any REAL answers on that until they are being delivered to end customers. Asking people that work for Ford how it's going isn't really going to get you an unbiased answer.
“It’s all going very well. No issues.”
- Ford Engineer

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
All I can say is that this thread has put me on a roller coaster of feelings about getting mine before year end. I'm just praying to whatever power there is that I'll get it by midnight December 31st. I've banked my taxes on that (my fault, yes, I know), and will be a bit screwed otherwise.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
All I can say is that this thread has put me on a roller coaster of feelings about getting mine before year end. I'm just praying to whatever power there is that I'll get it by midnight December 31st. I've banked my taxes on that (my fault, yes, I know), and will be a bit screwed otherwise.
Just thinking out loud here... But couldn't you undo the potential underpayment penalty (that I think you are worried about?) by sharply increasing your W-4 withholdings from now until the end of this year, just in case your delivery occurs after 12/31?

If delivery occurs prior to 1/1, then you'll just receive a larger refund (or owe a smaller payment) when you file 2020 taxes next year.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Just thinking out loud here... But couldn't you undo the potential underpayment penalty (that I think you are worried about?) by sharply increasing your W-4 withholdings from now until the end of this year, just in case your delivery occurs after 12/31?

If delivery occurs prior to 1/1, then you'll just receive a larger refund (or owe a smaller payment) when you file 2020 taxes next year.
Or, possibly easier, make an estimated tax payment.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

If that's the issue. There can be a number of things that could be in play here (like purposely taking a large taxable event this year to make sure he had $7500 in federal tax liability).

And underpayment penalties often don't even happen if it's a one-year blip. If you've paid in as much as your tax liability for the previous year, there's no penalty.

Also, one can always just make an estimated tax payment at any time. That's often easier than making a temporary W-4 change and then undoing it later.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
If that's the issue. There can be a number of things that could be in play here (like purposely taking a large taxable event this year to make sure he had $7500 in federal tax liability).

And underpayment penalties often don't even happen if it's a one-year blip. If you've paid in as much as your tax liability for the previous year, there's no penalty.

Also, one can always just make an estimated tax payment at any time. That's often easier than making a temporary W-4 change and then undoing it later.
Nope - the others are correct, I simply didn't pay out as much this year. I'm probably going to up my withholdings and possibly make an estimated payment to (hopefully) be safe. Was simply hoarding the withholdings to use as part of my downpayment.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Nope - the others are correct, I simply didn't pay out as much this year. I'm probably going to up my withholdings and possibly make an estimated payment to (hopefully) be safe. Was simply hoarding the withholdings to use as part of my downpayment.
Cool, that's an easy one to fix then. :)

You have until Jan 15 to make a 4th qtr estimated tax payment too, so if the car looks like it's right near the end of the year, you can always wait past Dec 31.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Cool, that's an easy one to fix then. :)
Yea - not the end of the world, but ultimately I just want my Mach-E!!! (As we all do, I know...)

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Or, possibly easier, make an estimated tax payment.
As far as I've learned. Upping withholding is better because the worksheet for figuring out penalty doesn't scrutinize the timing of withholdings. But you'll need to pay penalty if you under withhold throughout the year, and then make an estimated payment for Q4 to make up.

However, I've also been told that it is illegal to deliberately under withhold throughout the year, and then compensate by upping the withholding significantly toward year end.

I'm not a lawyer, not an accountant. YMMV.
Sponsored