Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Talk about a complicated drive train and complicated packaging!
I think hybrids just saddle you with the problems of both techs and is also OT. Bet dealers are loving the maintenance of you owning one of those. Not twice as much but more.

Email notification can be mod'd in your settings. I have no problems with all that find this as safe place to discuss what is on there minds about the mach-e and have a bit of fun while they wait. Of course I have email notifications, for a 1700 post thread, turned off. A search @trutolife27 (latest activity) should keep all happy.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I think hybrids just saddle you with the problems of both techs and is also OT. Bet dealers are loving the maintenance of you owning one of those. Not twice as much but more.

Email notification can be mod'd in your settings. I have no problems with all that find this as safe place to discuss what is on there minds about the mach-e and have a bit of fun while they wait. Of course I have email notifications, for a 1700 post thread, turned off. A search @trutolife27 (latest activity) should keep all happy.
Having had a C-Max Energi for 3 years: The maintenance is less than an ICE and more than a BEV.

Since the gas engine doesn't run nearly as much oil change intervals are much longer and the electric portion of the drive train is like a BEV and doesn't need any maintenance.

If you really give it some thought the powertrain isn't much more complex than your average ICE: You still have a transmission (which uses planetary gears--even the power split transmission on the Energi models uses planetary gears; just in a different way), the motor generator simply replaces the starter. Ok maybe mildly more complex because vehicles like the Volt actually have two motor/generators.

I like the fact that Ford is actually doing more with the hybrid drivetrain on the F-150 than simply using it to move the truck (likely a lesson learned when they started using the Fusion hybrid/Energi models for self-driving experiments: "Hey we have this big battery and a generator it can be used to power a whole bunch of computers").

If I still had a travel trailer or 5th wheel instead of the motorhome I'd be first in line for that hybrid F-150 with the 7kW power available!

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Having had a C-Max Energi for 3 years: The maintenance is less than an ICE and more than a BEV.

Since the gas engine doesn't run nearly as much oil change intervals are much longer and the electric portion of the drive train is like a BEV and doesn't need any maintenance.

If you really give it some thought the powertrain isn't much more complex than your average ICE: You still have a transmission (which uses planetary gears--even the power split transmission on the Energi models uses planetary gears; just in a different way), the motor generator simply replaces the starter. Ok maybe mildly more complex because vehicles like the Volt actually have two motor/generators.

I like the fact that Ford is actually doing more with the hybrid drivetrain on the F-150 than simply using it to move the truck (likely a lesson learned when they started using the Fusion hybrid/Energi models for self-driving experiments: "Hey we have this big battery and a generator it can be used to power a whole bunch of computers").

If I still had a travel trailer or 5th wheel instead of the motorhome I'd be first in line for that hybrid F-150 with the 7kW power available!
I look at it as a stepping stone to BEV's and one I have decided to leap frog. Future proofing and the simplification is what pushed me. I would not buying a hybrid but yes see some advantage; especially when it comes to range anxiety. It does have a part to play in the transition. Applaud Ford initiative . ?

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag

We are on our second Fusion Energi, and we love everything about that car other than the trunk space. Our first one was trouble free, low maintenance, and so far so is this one. My wife was hesitant at first about having an "electric" car, and now you would have trouble prying it away from her. I am pretty convinced that sometime next year that car will be gone for another ME, unless I can get her to wait until I can get an electric F150.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
I think hybrids just saddle you with the problems of both techs and is also OT.

[snip]

Of course I have email notifications, for a 1700 post thread, turned off.
I was going crazy deleting emails for a bit when this site took off.

Disagree that there isn’t a place for hybrids. Actually PHEVs.

For all its flaws ICE technology is actually fairly refined. Most powertrains will give tens of thousands of miles of reliable low maintenance use.

The EV side is also reliable and low maintenance.

A high EV:ICE mileage ratio further lowers the risk of major ICE failure. In our Fusion Energi roughly 25% of the miles are gas fueled. When it hits 100k many ICE powertrain components will only just begin to approach 30k miles of wear.

For drivers who want to move miles from gas to electric but whose lifestyle can’t justify a full BEV PHEVs offer a mostly there solution. We manage those 75% electric miles with just 20 miles of range in the FFE.

A PHEV with closer to 75 miles of range would allow us to move 90-95% of our miles over. I looked hard at the Clarity. The Rav-4 Prime or Escape PHEV are almost there. For many they offer a sound choice while the issues of range, infrastructure and charging in BEVs are sorted.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was going crazy deleting emails for a bit when this site took off.

Disagree that there isn’t a place for hybrids. Actually PHEVs.

For all its flaws ICE technology is actually fairly refined. Most powertrains will give tens of thousands of miles of reliable low maintenance use.

The EV side is also reliable and low maintenance.

A high EV:ICE mileage ratio further lowers the risk of major ICE failure. In our Fusion Energi roughly 25% of the miles are gas fueled. When it hits 100k many ICE powertrain components will only just begin to approach 30k miles of wear.

For drivers who want to move miles from gas to electric but whose lifestyle can’t justify a full BEV PHEVs offer a mostly there solution. We manage those 75% electric miles with just 20 miles of range in the FFE.

A PHEV with closer to 75 miles of range would allow us to move 90-95% of our miles over. I looked hard at the Clarity. The Rav-4 Prime or Escape PHEV are almost there. For many they offer a sound choice while the issues of range, infrastructure and charging in BEVs are sorted.
Noted it was OT for this thread not this forum. Understand the great benefits and the one step closer to clean power gen and 0 emissions.

OP
OP
trutolife27

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The mache is launch is 4 days behind right now. If things get behind dealer demo might be put on hold to get FE out first when MP2 starts.
Did get the chance to see some more of the JD Power review. They also were not a fan of the frunk divider. Jd power has to finish checking one more model before release.

The first 8,000 Batteries were supplied from South Korea. Just pushed the issue to find it out. So they will be put into dealer demo models FE and the first couple of thousand Premium.;)

Have a review coming out for you all later today or first thing tomorrow. From an important person.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
The mache is launch is 4 days behind right now. If things get behind dealer demo might be put on hold to get FE out first when MP2 starts.
ok so at the risk of looking dumb (*), what is "4 days behind" relative to? By that I mean, did we on this public forum really have enough detailed scheduling info for that "4 days behind" to mean something (and I missed it)?

also since Power complained about the divider, did they get a full answer to [Seinfeld voice] "what is the deal with that as a 'safety' thing?"

thank you for your continued efforts, genuinely :)

(*) "NOW you're worried about that?"

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Does the divider make it run better/faster or not? If no diff I could care less. The divider is fine as I envision we will not be using the front much. But; it will be my space, for important stuff, and no one else will be allowed ;) (will be too much of a hassle for her to use anyway as the power back lift gate is more her style). The divider works for me.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
We bought a Prius in 2011. We passed it to our daughter when we bought our Leaf. It has required half the maintenance of an ICE for the ICE half and none for the BEV half. The only car we’ve had requiring less maintenance is our Leaf.

Last edited:

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Did get the chance to see some more of the JD Power review. They also were not a fan of the frunk divider. Jd power has to finish checking one more model before release.

The first 8,000 Batteries were supplied from South Korea. Just pushed the issue to find it out. So they will be put into dealer demo models FE and the first couple of thousand Premium.;)

Have a review coming out for you all later today or first thing tomorrow. From an important person.
Thank you

Flydivesurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER, Model X
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
ok so at the risk of looking dumb (*), what is "4 days behind" relative to? By that I mean, did we on this public forum really have enough detailed scheduling info for that "4 days behind" to mean something (and I missed it)?

also since Power complained about the divider, did they get a full answer to [Seinfeld voice] "what is the deal with that as a 'safety' thing?"

thank you for your continued efforts, genuinely :)

(*) "NOW you're worried about that?"
A lot of people on these forums are going to drive themselves nuts trying to figure out delivery times and delays down to the day. In the greater scheme of things, Mach-e, wise, this isn’t going to matter. Beyond the FE’s, this was destined to be a 2021 delivery anyway thanks to SARS-COV-2.

I’m not sure why JD Powers would see an issue with the divider. put your suitcases and bags in the back and groceries up front. Or just remove it. Like pillow and mattress tags.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Tahoe, Mustang Mach E Premium (on order)
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
Its the great divider debate of 2020...I actually like the idea of the divider as an included accessory but really want them to make it removal (on purpose - not mattress tag removal)- great for small items not rolling around, but for kills it for extra space for a suitcase, cooler, etc (obviously)
Sponsored